Thread: Flex Disc / Drive shaft U joint.

Question Flex Disc / Drive shaft U joint.

Hello,

Well guys I am back again! I have had a few alarming issues with my car in the past couple months. Hearing 3 consecutive loud bangs that are so violent they shake the car, and also loud bangs and clunks pulling away from steep hills.

I have got the car looked over at a local private garage near by that is know for his work on Mercedes Benz. They threw her up onto the lift and took a look. I have a lot of play in the drive shaft. She turns back and forth quite far. Anyways... they are claiming I need to replace the front coupling/front flex disc. Also my Mid U joint is bad... He is claiming that this part can not be replaced. So comes down to new drive shaft from Germany or have a machine shop machine out old one and weld in universal.

DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT?!

I am very unfamiliar in this topic and need some help guys! Does any of this sound correct?

One more thing can some one PLEASE confirm weather The FRONT and REAR flex discs are the same on our cars? I have a 2000 C230 Kompressor. I have many places and people saying they are the same and then a couple places like napa saying they are different? SO Someone PLEASEE Confirm if the front disc are the same or not and if not what are the differences?

Thank you
    Bradley Harris
    2000 C230 Kompressor
    First Car
    Second Owner
    122km

Front and rear flex couplers SHOULD be the same. Not 100% answer.

I have a local driveline shop, they can replace / machine a new U-joint. Not sure what the cost, because I have not had that done, but for me they have extended a driveline & balanced for a reasonable rate. I would not run out and buy a new driveline.

FYI, if you are going to a trustworthy repair facility, you really don't need the forums' help. You can PM me for info on a driveline rebuild shop (that we use, I work for a euro/swede repair facility, previously MB dealer tech)

Napa is not someplace I recommend you bother speaking to with our cars, or possibly any car, as the counter clerks have little to no knowledge of anything but light bulbs and wiper blade sizes.

front/rear flexdiscs are the same size

drive your car carefully to shop if she bangs from driveshaft, if your flexdiscs pops they will cause serious damage to undercarriage
    change them asap!

go with factory stuff or aftermarket lemfoerder/corteco nothing else

Quote Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
    front/rear flexdiscs are the same size

drive your car carefully to shop if she bangs from driveshaft, if your flexdiscs pops they will cause serious damage to undercarriage
    change them asap!

go with factory stuff or aftermarket lemfoerder/corteco nothing else
    Hello,

Thank you everyone for your replies... I have been having the worst trouble trying to locate these parts for a decent price. Anyways I have finally located some from Carquest here in Canada, luckily got a good deal on them actually. So that being said I HOPE your right when you say the rear and front are identical! I have been reading many threads online and many recommend to replace the drive shaft center support and bearing. I have just confirmed purchase for that off ebay. Flex discs have arrived today and looking to receive center support in the next week.

I ll keep everyone updated

THANKS!
    Bradley Harris
    2000 C230 Kompressor
    First Car
    Second Owner
    122km

if there is play in centre bearing change it, if your car is a high mileage KM's change that bearing and the support when the driveshaft is taken apart.
    it's a bad thing driving your car to long if you have problems an haven't changed flexdiscs, if they burst they will cause massive damage to your undercarriage

I got mine off of amazon.

UPDATE:

Got two Flex Discs ordered from Car Quest and have received. Also purchased center support and bearing off ebay. Have appointment set up tomorrow for install and to get the u joint machines out! Lets hope for a smooth and healthy operation <3
    Bradley Harris
    2000 C230 Kompressor
    First Car
    Second Owner
    122km