Thread: 1999 C280 on 18inch Monoblocks (18x8 and 18x9). Need suspension suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The front is what causes about 80% of it. The rear camber arms are mainly for tire wear but will have a little effect on catching grooves. The front will toss you about. Marlee did not want to drive the car at all. She was very unhappy with it when I lowered it at first. I told her patience...I need to order a few more parts and I would simply put your other OEM tires back on for now and you can keep driving it - so I did and she re-test drove it around the block and said OK.

Ive lowered hundreds of cars in my day for friends. I am known as the go to guy for suspension stuff amounst my peers. I try to do things as bood or better then OEM. With that said, this was the worse result I have seen of any car I have ever touched when it come to not having enough provisions to correct factory geometry. Most cars you can simply buy camber bolts etc and get it to drive decent, not this car. It took dropping the A-arms and pressing in new bushings to get the provisions I needed. It took stiffer front springs to reduce nose dive and unwanted camber gains. the lower you go with these cars the camber curve increases with the same wheel travel as higher OEM height. It grows faster when lower. The roll centers go down quick and need larger sway bars to control the greater positve roll axis- that means locking up ride quality. I reduced that side to side effect with higher rebound shocks and just using the smaller of the two aftermarket front sway bar options from H&R. I did not opt for the larger bar and be tossed side to side and limit mechanical grip and ride comfort. I lowerded this car to handle better than stock, not just look good. The cars suffer bad enough from massive nose dive at stock height, lowered height will be even worse with geometry change and trying to drive sporty. This is why I tried to preach what I did in early posts on this thread.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 04-08-2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling error