Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The dreaded head liner sag

The dreaded head liner sag

Well it just happened yesterday. I went out to the car and the rear headliner is saging near the rear glass. Some of it pressed back up on the left side, but the right side is hanging to the dome light(only thing holding it from going further).

I know the proceedures to get this thing out of the car (LR door open- gear shifter off and gear pulled back to low gear, RF seat down and reclined as far as possible- then out the RF door with a very tight fit.)

may question is: What is a good black fabric that anyone has used to redo a headliner? I see the basic foam lined material on EBAY and such. anything a little more exotic? I once used speaker box felt on the headliner of a Camaro years ago that worked great for 15 years until the car was sold so it is not my first rodeo doing a headliner. Just looking for options on material ideas. Must be black though. I would like suede, but I hear suede is real tough to contour the deep pockets near the front dome lights.

Dean

In Charge
    I would like to do suede as well. Did not know of any complications, like contour and such. My vote would be black suede.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

I recently did my headliner and pillars in black denim. Denim doesn't seem to fade, durable and easy to clean. It also has some elastic properties. As for the glue, the best spray adhesive I found was the cheap $7 can of Permatex found at auto zone, it holds stronger then the 3M black can 08090 part number.

For more ideas, grab a beer and flip through this VW thread, these guys are NUTS!!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...nterior-Thread!!!!

In Charge
    That looks surprisingly good, Remo!
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Denlasoul View Post
    That looks surprisingly good, Remo!
    I will second that!!!. That actually would go good with my Berber floor mats. Where did you find the material Remo?
    Last edited by Vetruck; 04-08-2015 at 02:41 PM.

That looks so good. Great job.

Glad you guys like it! Joann your local sewing& fabric store carries blue and black denim. I think I scored the material on sale for $15! Denim is cheap! I chose denim because its just really odd inside a car and works well in my odd VW tdi daily driver.

If you recall, here is my custom floor mats. That black Denim would compliment them well. I just want to check on some seat material because I want to put custom seat covers on before I ever have issues with the front seat upholstery. I want something along those lines. Ill have to go to Joann's and such and start researching stretchable fabrics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1134.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	2591

I wouldn't put any seat covers. Those seats are vinyl and will last a long time. If anything, I would tint the windshield some extremely light tint to keep UV out, and make sure you have some other grade of tint all around.

On my 911 I have 90% tint on the windshield and front windows, you would never know its there but it does a good job protecting the leather dash from warpage.

On a 202 the hardest part to wrap I think is the B & C pillars. If you can get denim to stretch over that, you'll be fine. Or you can always have an upholstery shop help you run a stitch along the crease.

I've got really bad headliners in both my cars. I'm going to yank them and drop them off at a headliner ship. They say they'll cover them both for me for less than $100 in black felt material. I'm putting it off because I dread the job of removing/replacing them.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

In Charge
    Dean, I just got a coupon for Joann's: 50% off one item including fabric. I got it from Safeway grocery store. I'd give it to you buy my family will probably use it.

My headliner is starting to sag aswell now... So gonna be checking on this thread :P I dont know what material to use since my interior is tan.

99' C230 Kompressor - 97k Miles

In Charge
    Hey Dean. I just got another Joann's coupon, 50% off. Want it? I can mail it to you.

That is very nice of you Den. Ill PM you.

If I had a tan interior, they sell this fabric that looks like something you would use to sew a scarecrow, this ugly tan threaded material sort of like a potatoe bag but would look pretty cool as a headliner !

I need to go into there and brainstorm. I am actually a somewhat an interior decorator. I have many many clients over the years that look to me for ideas in decorating and remodeling their homes. Kind of get a knack for unique ideas after 30+ years in the business. You are on the right track Remo, Something different, but still classy though. I am a nut for the harlequin interior in the Ferrari's, but usually on the seats and door panels only.

Name:	ferrari-612-scaglietti-sessanta-interior1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	2608
    I may try something like this though. Line the pillars with plain fabric the same color.

Name:	60910345ce_800.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	2609

Have you re upholstered the sun roof door at all?
    Mine needs to be done since all of the leather fell off. Any suggestions on what would stick good on that type of material?

I still have to do mine, been lazy, but all the material should be peeled off and sand down the old glue much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by REST_89 View Post
    Have you re upholstered the sun roof door at all?
    Mine needs to be done since all of the leather fell off. Any suggestions on what would stick good on that type of material?
    The key to getting fabric to stick is spraying both surfaces that will meet. You have a little window of time but mot too much. Most people spray the glue and them immediately try to tact it together- you can not do that. You need to read the can and follow directions with time,t emp and tackiness of the glue prior to meeting surfaces.

The other headliner I did about 15 years ago I use the 3m black can stuff and it fell apart in a year. I then redid it with the 3M super77 spray and it lasted until I got rid of the car a decade later. I do fabric in homes on projects sometimes where I make custom headboards etc on rare occations. I always use that 3M super77.

I need to buy another car so the wifey can drive. I have 5 cars but this is the only car she either likes to drive or I will let her drive. ( I have an old 85 Eldorado I try to get her to use but she hates it) Problem I have is projects like this, the transmission, the fan assembly- I have little jobs for this car stacking up but everytime Im off work she has this car with her at work or gone with friends somewhere. I never have time to work on it where it can sit there a day or two. Frustrating. Like right now I have time but she's leaving in an hour and will be gone all day....so- Ill go work on my racecar for a race tomorrow and go play.

So I removed both my headliner and sun roof visor... I ended up doing the sun roof visor and it came out nice. but had a very difficult time doing it. Decided to get the headliner done professionally so lets hope it comes out nice.

I still haven;t had time to go to JoAnn's Fabrics and look in person, but was just browsing around on their website for idea's. Tis has really sparked Both Marlee's and my fancy. Something along the lines of this fabric might be a possible choice.
    http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-...tart=109&sz=54

Nice!!

In Charge
    I like! Its a nice unique touch. Btw, I did send that coupon out. Should be there in a day or so.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)