Thread: Question about check engine light coming from automatic transmission

Question about check engine light coming from automatic transmission (manual conversion)

In a 97-00 W202, can the TCU be coded out of the ECU in the event the transmission changed for a 5 speed manual?
    I have a perfect donor car (w201 5 speed 1993) and i have my eyes on a C230k 2000 with 75k miles. Parts wise i have most of what is required... i just need to figure out this issue

If anyone want to share their information on this conversion...
    Last edited by labatt50; 09-07-2015 at 05:09 PM.

I was able to do this on a 97'.

Not 100% on 98-00 as those had CAN I believe, but I figure it can still be done.

I started searching on my own and I ask a company.... here is the discussion

Me: On a north american W202 97-00, can you code out the TCU from the Ecu in a 5 or 6 speed manual conversion?

Them:I’m fairly sure that’s possible since those cars were built with both auto and manual gearboxes, but it’s not as simple as just sending in your engine ECU- I’d need the entire car in my workshop with the conversion already done. I’ve never done something like that before, so there are of course no guarantees, but it should be possible.

then I told him I live a couple thousand miles away from his shop and he replied:

If you know someone interested in coming to our USA HQ in Colorado to try, just forward them my email address and I’ll speak with them directly- I’m not really interested in getting into the middle of a potential forum debate over specifics, or what’s involved exactly since I don’t know 100% if it’s possible.

I don't want to reveal to all the web which company it is... but it is a well known international tuning company...

So if you are interested, send me a pm and I will give you their email to reach the technical manager.

double post....
    Last edited by labatt50; 10-22-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RemoLexi View Post
    I was able to do this on a 97'.

Not 100% on 98-00 as those had CAN I believe, but I figure it can still be done.
    I thought 97 had Can also ?

Yes 97' was CAN.

Company I used provided a couple different variant codes to punch in with SDs. No need to send anything except payment!

The ME was coded to ignore the ETC, while the ETC was left live in the floorboard sending signals to the ME that 'hey something's missing here ...' But the ME simply ignores the ETC since its coded not to talk to it via CAN. No CEL faults ever come on. At that point u can remove the ETC, though I just left it in the floorboard as it does no harm.

no idea if this is helpful or even remotely relivant or would even work
    but on the mitsu eclipse 4g63t when they went from auto to manual all they did was unplug tcu and close the ground loop wire to the ecu didn't throw any hissys again no idea if this would work on a m.b having 1000 electronic sensors .... lol

I just came back from vacation and I see some good info
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate!

Quote Originally Posted by RemoLexi View Post
    Yes 97' was CAN.

Company I used provided a couple different variant codes to punch in with SDs. No need to send anything except payment!

Do you remember the company name?
    Last edited by labatt50; 11-02-2015 at 09:00 PM.