Thread: Pads and rotors change in HELL!!!

Pads and rotors change in HELL!!!

Hey guys,

So I had made a post here earlier on where to get cheap brake pads and rotors. I ended up getting OEM all around.

I had my brake pad sensor go off so that's when I finally got on it. I decided to start with the driver's side front.

What a pain in the ass i is to work on Benz's!!! I didn' have the t45 Torx bit and had to go buy it and ended up just geting a whole new torx set. Well, after pulling the driver's side calipher, I noticed the pad was actually still pretty meaty....which was strange. Worn yes--but still plenty left. I put it back together, not to mention that damn anti-rattle thing...what another PITA!

I did the pass side, and noticed instantly that the pad was A LOT lower than the driver's side. What could that mean? It either meant the last owner got hosed or something is wrong with the calipher..... I also had issues with the piston being 'sticky' and harder to push in than the driver's side which was easily done with a screw driver.

I used a C clamp to push in the pass side piston and it was REALLY hard. With that and the signifigant difference in wear, this means the calipher is basically toast, right?

I ended up working on the rear driver's side and noticed the same thing about like the driver's front side. Pads still had plenty of meat left on them. I only encountered one issue, and that was the rotor WOULD NOT come out in the back. calipher was cake. Came out easy and the screw that held in the rotor was easy too. Same with pads--no issue. Why was the rotor stuck?

I have the old pads and rotors in the back still in. I said screw it, because I am just going to have someone else install most likely a new pass calipher and while they do that, have them do the pads and rotors in the rear.....unless you guys know the trick on how to take the rotors out in the back?

I read that in these cars (I have a 1999 C280 by the way), the rotor can get stuck because of how the brakes in the back work. What did I do wrong? And is the calipher screwed in the front? Or can a pro fix it?

Edit: And I should basically lay off driving it until I get it fixed, right? To not have uneven wear of the pads/rotors in the front?
    Last edited by BolivianFuego; 08-16-2015 at 01:18 PM.

My guess is you have air in the lines. Passenger side had fluid and was harder/normal to press back in.

Rotor stuck in back? I assume you are talking rotor to axle hub. Could be rust/corrosion build up if the car is driven in poor climate conditions. Try taping it fairly hard around the rotor hat with a metal hammer to loosen corrosion.

It was really hard to push back in, and I don't think it pushed in all the way either, just enough to fit it over the new pads/rotor. I googled it and read that it may also be a bad brake line? Would bleeding the brakes tell me this?

I also did more searching and found that Mercedes reccomends you use one of those machines attached to the BB to bleed the brakes. Where's the best place to get a good one for not too much?

And yes--I think it's rust/corrosion too because when I took out the old pads a TON of rust fell out. The caliper was super rusty. I used a normal metal hammer...but after everything with the front rotors and the pain it was causing me...I gave up pretty quick on the back lol.

I just now remember I had a mini sledge hammer that I wish I would have tried on it.....I may get the car back up and give it a shot this week. So just hitting it will get it off? I read on another benz forum that the hand brake works on the inside of the rotor? Could that be an issue also?

Sorry for the scattered thoughts.

Use a wighted rubber mallet so you don;t damage anything.

I actually did, but it didn't provide enough 'weight' or I the power to do anything.

OK--the backs were rusted to holy hell--have no idea why...but I gave up and had my friend's shop finish it up lol.

They bled the brakes and said that he didn't notice the caliper being TOO bad on pass front side, but said to keep an eye on it. If it was him, he said because of the rust he would replace the rotors all around.

Is there a good benz junkyard I should look in to? Or just buy new rotors directly from Mercedes? Thoughts?