Thread: clunking noise come from rear when i go over mild bumps

clunking noise come from rear when i go over mild bumps

sounds like a metal to metal contact. like a metal ball being rattled in a tin can. it comes and goes and only notice it over mild bumps in the road. what could it be? rear control arm bushing?

Check your spare tire compartment for loose tools/ jack/ lug wrench.

A little funny story I'll share along these lines: I recently helped a friend troubleshoot a pulsating thumping noise in his rear suspension of his BMW X5. I sat in the back seat and once he was over 60mph it would start making the noise. I immediately with a smile on my face told him to get off the freeway and pull over. I get out, reach under the back of the car and find some windage plastic panels and start thumping one mimicing the sound- he looks and says that's it. It was a panel flapping in the wind under the car with a fastener broken. A ziptie quickly fixed what he thought was the air ride system rubbing on a tire or something when the system lowered automatically at speed.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 08-31-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post
    Check your spare tire compartment for loose tools/ jack/ lug wrench.

A little funny story I'll share along these lines: I recently helped a friend troubleshoot a pulsating thumping noise in his rear suspension of his BMW X5. I sat in the back seat and once he was over 60mph it would start making the noise. I immediately with a smile on my face told him to get off the freeway and pull over. I get out, reach under the back of the car and find some windage plastic panels and start thumping one mimicing the sound- he looks and says that's it. It was a panel flapping in the wind under the car with a fastener broken. A ziptie quickly fixed what he thought was the air ride system rubbing on a tire or something when the system lowered automatically at speed.

it must be great finding a problem quickly without having to spend money at the dealership which will rip you off by the hour!
    quick and cheap fix is the best solution!

I wish it was only something bouncing around in the trunk. Iit deffinetley is something with the suspension. Coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I even noticed sometimes when I go as slow a 2mph I would here the click/clunking noise as the wheel would rotate. It would make the noise in a pattern. Maybe its a wheel bearing?

In Charge
    Check to see if your shock is completely tightened. That happened to me once.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Denlasoul View Post
    Check to see if your shock is completely tightened. That happened to me once.
    tes, that or a sway bar end link are generally the two culprits.

Quote Originally Posted by adge_dre View Post
    I wish it was only something bouncing around in the trunk. Iit deffinetley is something with the suspension. Coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I even noticed sometimes when I go as slow a 2mph I would here the click/clunking noise as the wheel would rotate. It would make the noise in a pattern. Maybe its a wheel bearing?
    If it is making a pattern (consistent with speed) then check and see if the noise comes and goes as you apply a little brake pressure then release. Also check the flex joints and driveshaft/half shafts for clearance issues. You will see shiny spots on them if making contact somewhere. Have to look thoroughly and slowing- this takes time to inspect correctly. Don't just quickly look and think its all ok. Generally when noises like this happen it is from age in parts/bushings etc allowing for movement or shifting in positions of parts alignments.

OK I'll have a thourough look next time I get the chance to go under the car. And a little off topic but... My car is lowered and darty. I want to fix it but don't know if I'll ever fork up $450 bucks for the KMAC bushings. Any other alternatives?

Unfortunately no.