Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 11.10.57 AM.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	3003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-05-07 at 11.16.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	3002Hi there I am new to this site,

I am currently working on fixing up a 1995 AMG C36, see video links below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bckbn5Zn7RU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DT7XHpfTgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaNMolj5wxY

I rebuilt the transmission, and fixed all oil leak in the engine, replaced all hydraulic lifters and cam chain tensioner.....

the M104 easy and fun to work on, the transmission is not....I love the car...iron block straight 6's rule
    Last edited by Edward SB; 05-09-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: new video added

The C36 is my favourite W202. Yours is looking good. Keep posting.
    JJJ.

Thanks, I appreciate that..

I am dreaming to do something special with the engine....

Quote Originally Posted by Edward SB View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate that..

I am dreaming to do something special with the engine....
    You're more than welcome.

I've considered buying a C36 in the past on several occasions but sadly never found the right car. I also considered modifications and when it came to the engine the only thing I fancied was fitting standalone ECU and throttle bodies, along with getting the engine balanced and a maybe a bit cylinder head porting. One other item on the list was to fit a manual transmission. But that was it as I don't think they really need much modification and I wouldn't have liked to stray too far away from the original anyway as they were the first official AMG's.
    JJJ.

Hi, yes the iron block is something special. I worked on it a little bit and fell in love with the quality of the cylinder head it deserves a better intake system. I saw some pics on the net where Carlsson tuning put like a M5 bmw intake systems on the car it made something 380hp. but what I think I want to do is put in a turbo kit from turbobandit.com they are not too expensive and well I kinda of like the idea that a stock 722.4 transmission can handle 1200hp for 5 years without a mechanical failure.

I want this car, but this guy wants like 24k to build the engine, the kits is only $4k if you do it yourself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqaWEVHHFhg

I want 1000 HP...

Last edited by Edward SB; 02-13-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: new video

That paint job is looking great! I can't wait to see the car reassembled.

Which method did you use to repair the timing cover seal leak?

I remove upper timing cover cleaned it and inspected mating surfaces, you will find small pitting on the timing cover matting surfaces this I suspect is due to age and previous repairs. I actually cleaned up the mating surfaces on the cover by lightly sanding them on a pice of wet sanding paper that I taped on a glass table...the surfaces were uneven and pitted...I used Permanex I also bought the Mercedes gasket maker that was recommended by the dealer it was very similar to the Permanex but it's a thinner consistency.

I found the Permanex was not only thicker but it was more difficult to clean up with solvents, that stuff is think sticky and resilient.

I also replaced the upper to lower gasket with an actually Mercedes Benz gasket, I actually bought the gasket from pelicanparts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ENGCAM_pg2.htm

Gasket - Front Cover to Crankcase
    Part #: 104-015-02-20-M30

This is the gasket I replaced

I remove upper timing cover cleaned it and inspected mating surfaces, you will find small pitting on the timing cover matting surfaces this I suspect is due to age and previous repairs. I actually cleaned up the mating surfaces on the cover by lightly sanding them on a pice of wet sanding paper that I taped on a glass table...the surfaces were uneven and pitted...I used Permanex I also bought the Mercedes gasket maker that was recommended by the dealer it was very similar to the Permanex but it's a thinner consistency.

I found the Permanex was not only thicker but it was more difficult to clean up with solvents, that stuff is think sticky and resilient.

I also replaced the upper to lower gasket with an actually Mercedes Benz gasket, I actually bought the gasket from pelicanparts

Quote Originally Posted by Edward SB View Post

Thank you for the link! This job has been on my to-do list for quite some time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	2988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	2989Hi There,

Just wanted to mention what I went through to get to the changing the timing chain gasket....

1. remove radiator support bracket hood latching mechanism and cabling, removed the radiator and a/c condensor, all cooling hoses from the engine.{ this is to allow easy access to front of the engine, you should refresh the cooling system while you are at it }
    2. now you should have access to the v-belt and all the pulleys, { easiest way to remove all of this is to pull the power steering pump pulley }
    3. remove all idler pulley wheels and replace if bearings are blow out
    4. clean whole area from greasy oil I used 5 gal of gasoline
    5. Replace all cooling system hoses, they are super cheap on rock auto and pelican parts, replace the thermostat while you have all this apart.
    6. remove and clean coil packs and plugs { label everything with masking tape marker }
    7. remove valve cover , all vacuum lines and egr valve actuator { take picture of everything document how vac hoses are plumed }
    8. remove upper timing chain cover, { replace timing chain tensioner while you are here, it is only $50, timing chain should be fine }
    9. clean everything with gasoline then carb cleaner
    10. you may not need to remove lower timing chain cover, lower one hardly ever leaks...The oil leak is usually from the rubber between the upper and lower chain cover
    11. apply permanex gasket maker to all surfaces and reassemble
    Last edited by Edward SB; 04-12-2016 at 02:08 AM.

Just wanted to mention what I went through to get to the changing the timing chain gasket....

Hi There,

Name:	ValveCoverInPLace sm1.jpg 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	2983

Name:	ValveCoverInPLace sm1.jpg 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	2983
    1. remove radiator support bracket hood latching mechanism and cabling, removed the radiator and a/c condensor, all cooling hoses from the engine.{ this is to allow easy access to front of the engine, you should refresh the cooling system while you are at it }
    2. now you should have access to the v-belt and all the pulleys, { easiest way to remove all of this is to pull the power steering pump pulley }
    3. remove all idler pulley wheels and replace if bearings are blow out
    4. clean whole area from greasy oil I used 5 gal of gasoline
    5. Replace all cooling system hoses, they are super cheap on rock auto and pelican parts, replace the thermostat while you have all this apart.
    6. remove and clean coil packs and plugs { label everything with masking tape marker }
    7. remove valve cover , all vacuum lines and egr valve actuator { take picture of everything document how vac hoses are plumed }
    8. remove upper timing chain cover, { replace timing chain tensioner while you are here, it is only $50, timing chain should be fine }
    9. clean everything with gasoline then carb cleaner
    10. you may not need to remove lower timing chain cover, lower one hardly ever leaks...The oil leak is usually from the rubber between the upper and lower chain cover
    11. apply permanex gasket maker to all surfaces and reassemble
    Last edited by Edward SB; 04-10-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Name:	AMG_C36_collingSystem.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	2986more pics of the jobClick image for larger version. 

Name:	AMG_c36-openMotor.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	2987
    Last edited by Edward SB; 04-12-2016 at 02:00 AM.

1995 AMG C36 frame on restoration project car

Whatever treatment of the back of the car individuals settle on will probably need a bit of additional height over the rear guards and upper rear frame rails so that the engine wont need to protrude through the engine cover.

Good luck, my car was in an accident and aligns to -1.9 degrees and -0.9 for camber.