Thread: Dom's C43 build thread (55 Swap)

Dom's C43 build thread (55 Swap)

Hey guys figured i'd make a post showing the recent changes to my C43 before she goes back under the knife. Changed up the wrap got bored of the silver glitter very quickly, added shorter camber arms, removed front bumper grill and supports, added rear roof spoiler and a few other goodies here and there. She just hit 230K miles and is now under the knife for an E55 engine swap :v:

Wrap - Oracal Turqouise/Lavender by MacWraps

Wheels - Brabus IV 18x9.5 +20 18x10.5 -10

Camber has been removed, Changed tires to 235/35/18 265/35/18 and am planning on flaring fenders to run wider tires, Rebuild on the E55 engine has begun Cant wait for this swap to be complete.

Replacing -

Valve cover gaskets
    Oil & Filter
    Coolant
    Water pump
    Rear main seal
    Spark plugs
    oil pan gasket

Engine had about 100k on it when it was pulled from a salvaged E55

I suggest you replace the CPS. At 100k miles this is bound to go bad anytime. Plus it's most convenient since the engine is out.

Quote Originally Posted by hvmercy View Post
    I suggest you replace the CPS. At 100k miles this is bound to go bad anytime. Plus it's most convenient since the engine is out.
    Thanks for the tip! will do

UPDATE!!
    Spent a few hours after work last night putting back on valve covers with new seals/gaskets
    also installed
    -New sparkplugs
    -new oil filter
    -new thermostat

Some picutres of the engine with valve covers removed

Putting in a little work!

Starting to look all cleaned up!

UPDATE!!
    Spent a few hours after work last night putting back on valve covers with new seals/gaskets
    also installed
    -New sparkplugs
    -new oil filter
    -new thermostat

Some picutres of the engine with valve covers removed

Putting in a little work!

Starting to look all cleaned up!

Welcome to club202 by the way.

I'm trying to orient myself as to where the CPS is located. I'm just going by memory.
    From your pictures it isn't that obvious so I'm guessing the cps is located in the bell housing where the engine and transmission meet. Keep us posted on your project.

Quote Originally Posted by AMG_Dom View Post

Welcome to club202 by the way.

I'm trying to orient myself as to where the CPS is located. I'm just going by memory.
    From your pictures it isn't that obvious so I'm guessing the cps is located in the bell housing where the engine and transmission meet. Keep us posted on your project.
    Thanks! my friend helping me has a lot of knowledge about working on Mercs so ill just ask him, thanks for trying to point out the location though!

UPDATE #3

Got around to just about finishing up the rebuild last night.

Started out swapping the water pump

Fresh water pump, thermostat and tensioner pulley

The got into replacing the rear main seal, actually an easy task with the engine removed from vehicle

Welcome.

There it is, 10 o'clock

Thanks! my friend helping me has a lot of knowledge about working on Mercs so ill just ask him, thanks for trying to point out the location though!

The got into replacing the rear main seal, actually an easy task with the engine removed from vehicle

Welcome.

There it is, 10 o'clock

UPDATE #4
    Was sadly not able to spend as much time on the car this weekend as I'd hoped but I am waiting for a few necessary parts to arrive tomorrow at the dealer. Should have the engine pulled tonight or tomorrow and have everything hooked up by the end of next weekend...

My buddy, and previous owner of the car, David (SD202) stopped by to lend a hand

And then work commenced, will take more pictures of current progress tonight.

UPDATE #4
    Was sadly not able to spend as much time on the car this weekend as I'd hoped but I am waiting for a few necessary parts to arrive tomorrow at the dealer. Should have the engine pulled tonight or tomorrow and have everything hooked up by the end of next weekend...

My buddy, and previous owner of the car, David (SD202) stopped by to lend a hand

And then work commenced, will take more pictures of current progress tonight.

love those wheels! Good to know we can fit such wide wheels. You got more camber than the average 202 but still, looks sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by nelius View Post
    love those wheels! Good to know we can fit such wide wheels. You got more camber than the average 202 but still, looks sharp.
    Thanks! Actually putting my stock camber arms back in to remove a lot of camber, need to put the power down!

Update #5
    Well we ran into problems as always with working on cars, When removing the exhaust one of the bolts stripped and with almost no room to work with I spent a day drilling out the bolt head to remove the exhaust....

After that I proceeded to drain the trans and remove all hardlines, harness, and everything else needed to pull the engine and man was it FILTHY under the car

Update #6

Finally it was time to pull the old engine!

After it was out I had to disconnect the transmission and swap over some other bits and pieces to the new engine

And then the moment I've been waiting for, time to drop in the 55!

Hooking everything back up! almost completed it yesterday but she WILL be running tonight

UPDATE #7

Sorry it took so long for the next update been having too much fun driving this beast around town! The difference is amazing, the car floats along effortlessly almost hard to keep her under 80 on the freeway. Would recommend this swap to anyone thinking about it. Having owned a W210 E55 previously and now this, its definitely much quicker off the line going to get wider tires today as without traction control off it wants to spin them up to 40+ mph

Went to Targa Trophy at HRE Wheels HQ last weekend had a blast driving around with some great friends taking pictures, waiting on professional shots but heres a few to hold you over

Short crappy video of the car after the swap!

https://youtu.be/Dtxjb7646X0?t=2s

Congrats on completing the swap. Is that Plastidip on the car?

In Charge
    Nice build. Saw this on IG and was curious if you were on the site.

Hope to do the same. Been saying it for years. Lol
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

very nice, where in Cali?

The wrap makes it really cool. I dig it!