Thread: Headlight switch ticking noise

Headlight switch ticking noise

Hello,

Had this problem only recently hopefully its a quick fix like a bad headlight. Before I go changing all headlights and brake lights to figure which ones gone bad any suggestions if it is something else?

A couple of weeks ago in a left hand drive C43 amg, on th eleft of the steering wheel is the headlight control switch. Only recently Ive been hearing an audible clicking noise. It sometimes doesn't come on, sometimes comes on and goes away after 5 minutes, or stays on for a while. It goes away if i restart the car but may come back and repeat above.

Also when switching to highbeams the ticking increases in speed, then switching down goes back to normal ticking speed.

Is this a bad headlight? Ive been reading it may be relays or valves which changing would be out of my league.

Also was just driving it, realized it instantly turns off when in Park, put it back in drive noise comes back on.

Another quick update. When I turn the headlight dial to the right one notch (the interior and dash lighting, the headlights start to flicker on and off rapidly) I am assuming this is the problem. Would there be a certain relay for the interior dash lights that triggering? Also any tips on how to access/fix relays.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

So the ticking stopped for a day or two randomly...now its back. Really have no idea what it could be. Does anyone know how to access the relays behind the dash. Tried to go from the panel under the dash but didnt look like it gave access to them.

Posting to bump this thread.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds to me like a relay going bad. THis is what the headlamp relay looks like. I think it's location is just up in front of the drivers compartment inside the hood/ engine bay next to the fuse panel. Part number 202 542 01 32

example of the relay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-00-MER...-/201487278143

Hello,

Sorry for bumping this thread so much with updates, I know it doesn't help alot of people (hopefully will in the future), its just really annoying hearing that noise and at night not being able to have my dash lights on to see the speedometer since the headlights go crazy.

I found the relays in the hood on the driver side behind the fuse box. Took the fuse box framing off to open the relay area. 99 C43 AMG so it looked like this, (Didn't have what looked like the relays Vetruck mentioned.)

http://i.imgur.com/I4bJeMR.jpg

**Found this pic in google search....its from the mbworld...Different Problem though **

Note: In that pic I have a relay or whatever plugged into that top rectangular area....again not sure what each does.

Everything seemed fine. Again not sure what exactly to look for still a car noob. Turned the car on and put it in drive with the headlight knob turned one to the right(night mode). The ticking noise was there as usual and the headlights were flickering rapidly. With it still in drive had someone tap the relays to see if anything was going to change. The ticking noise stopped and so did the flickering. Thought it was fixed, put everything back on and enjoyed 1 night with the dash illuminated in the nice orange glow.

Next morning.....ticking noise back....turned the dial, still ticks faster and the headlights still blinking.

I couldn't find a guide or diagram for the relays so not sure what each relay was for or if they were even for the headlights.

Next step I want to do is remove the headlight knob under the far left (LHD) vent. Does anyone know how to open this panel up without striping the entire front dash apart?

Any tips or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hope this helps
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1028091152-00.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	3101

Hey Vetruck,

I think that picture is from an older model, not a 1999. The 1999 C43 relay box looks like the one I posted with the black and yellow square relays.

Thanks though.

Sounds like it is positioned somewhere else in the car but everything I reference says that is what it looks like AND it is for 94-2000 models including the C43. You need to look around for it.

Here is one of many references stating it fits your car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-W20...25.m3641.l6368

If this is not the situation and the listings I see are wrong, the headlamp system "HAS TO HAVE SOME TYPE OF RELAY". THus I would turn the headlamps on and check the area that you showed me what your relay box looks like and simply feel each relay for the one that is clicking., If you can not tell by feel then pull them out one by one to see which one is clicking. I've had relay click on me many times in life- it is easy to spot them. I recently had to replace one clicking on a little Dodge Neon race car I had that had a failuty ignition relay. I simply had someone turn the key and as it was clicking I flet which one it was and pulled it.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 07-25-2016 at 07:20 PM.