Thread: [Problem] [1999 C200 CDI Wagon, Sport Edition] EPC light turns on and engine dies

[Problem] [1999 C200 CDI Wagon, Sport Edition] EPC light turns on and engine dies

Hey guys,

Before begging for help, I'd like to congratulate you on having such a great community dedicated to the wonderful cars that are the W202s.

Moving on, I'm having a nightmare of a problem with my C200 station wagon. It started like this: I was driving around, normally, the EPC (Eletronic Power Control) light would come on the dash, and the engine died suddenly. No loss of power, no stuttering, it just stopped. Sometimes I could get it started again right away, sometimes after a couple of minutes, sometimes after half an hour. Every single time the light comes on, the car either won't start, or if it's running, it'll die.

I've taken the ECU out of her, and had it read and checked for malfunctions at a place that's specialized in Mercedes ECUs. No codes, no problems with the ECU. I've also replaced the camshaft sensor, and the MAF sensor. Again, no change.

I would really appreciate your help with this, because right now the car doesn't even run. Most of the time I can't get it started at all (EPC light on as soon as I turn the key), and on the few times I've managed to get it to run, the EPC light comes on after 3-5 seconds and the engine dies.

Hope you can help, and thank you for reading!

If the EPC light is coming on it must show a code. Did you physically remove the ecu to get codes read? You need to do it with the ecu in the car that's the only way to read codes. It could possibly be an open circuit on one of the injector's.