Thread: Help With Abnormal Tyre Wear

Help With Abnormal Tyre Wear

Hi
    I have wear on the outside edge of my front left tire (car is RHD). In addition, there are 'chipped' areas as you can see from the picture. The tire on the right has normal wear, and the inner edge of the worn left tire is quite okay.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16700298_1817726648546759_4716845221300203190_o.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	3188

Any ideas what could cause this kind of wear?

you need your wheels aligned according to Mercedes specs. I'm guessing your suspension hasn't been modified.

yes, everything is stock.
    is it just a matter of alignment, or a sign of something more serious?

Quote Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
    yes, everything is stock.
    is it just a matter of alignment, or a sign of something more serious?
    Could be out of camber specs because of worn ball joint- however, this is speculation unless someone that is knowl;edgeble can inspect the car and see if it is just a toe-in issue. Like stated, take it to an alignment tech. Ask them to check it out to see if any parts are worn prior to having it aligned. If so then you can have them replaced and then the alignment will work properly.

Thanks for the input. I forgot to add that my ball joints and tie rod ends have been replaced within the last year. I am starting to suspect the lower control arm bushes. No idea how much play they should have, as they look okay at least visually.

Control arm bushings would not cause that. There is no signs of tread cupping either so the shocks are still doing a job in some form or another. This has to be alignment issue then if the ball joints were replaced.

thanks very much :-)
    i'll take it for alignment then

okay ... found an indy who checked my suspension and steering out. I need new drag link, and the idler arm bush. Control arms are in good condition. He also mentioned that I need to consider replacing my front springs, pointing out that they even had those rubber support things.

What's wrong with your front springs? You probably just need a pair of rubber spacers.
    Keep us posted.
    Thanks.

i replaced the drag link, and did alignment. the car feels nicer now. I won't know right away the effect on the wear ...

however, the alignment shop mentioned that they couldn't get the camber within spec. this might seem to support the issue with springs?

in addition, and something that I have had for a long time, the front wheels have a 'skipping' movement when I do a tight turn at low speed. I think it's better explained in http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum...g-problem.html

before the change of drag link, this would happen only when turning right, but now it happens in either direction (guessing the drag link was too worn to hold in both directions equally?) either way, most info seems to suggest this is relatively normal and nothing to worry about. if any of you have suggestions i'd be grateful however, as it is truly annoying

Quote Originally Posted by hvmercy View Post
    What's wrong with your front springs? You probably just need a pair of rubber spacers.
    Keep us posted.
    Thanks.
    the springs have sagged I would say. the car has spacers almost like the ones you see here, http://z71tahoe-suburban.com/iboard/...hp?t36693.html
    they were installed before I got the car .. are these the same spacers you had in mind, or you meant the ones in the spring well? is it better to just get replacement springs or it's reasonable enough to replace the spacers?

vehicle has 245,000km. I already did replace my rear ones which were sagged noticeably - car most likely did a lot of towing before I owned it

so - recommend anything in connection with springs? or just forget? and that 'skipping'? note that I have no interest/plan to lower the car in any way ... I am happy to keep stock suspension settings. one more thing, should I maybe get the camber adjustment kit for control arms?

Since it is wearing outside edge, you need more negative camber.

Help With Abnormal Tyre Wear

that is MUCH better than my plan
    if it were orange I would have known

I am deeeeeply indebted to the suspension shop at HP ..my bike was very messed with by another shop and VERY messed up when I bought it.. now its smooth " like butta"
    I dont know how Ill ever repay them

**No solicitation without Admin approval**