Thread: Limited slip diff

Limited slip diff

I want to get into drifting and unfortunately you need some kind of LSD or locked diff to not loose speed during a slide. My mercedes C180 would be fine for drifting if it had an LSD, but as a road car I dont want to weld the diff up which would be the cheap option. I was wondering if any of you knew any manufacturers of LSD's for my car. Its a W202 C180, 1993. My only other option is to wait and buy a jap car or BMW for which aftermarket LSD's are avaliable.

i think quafe or something like that makes one?

Quaife, thanks, but very expensive, they dont make them specifically for Mercedes, and the universal one is £2000! probably a bit more than my car is worth!

Well I really dont think your C180 is suitable for drifting in any ways, especially when you can easily trade it for a japanese one with a small amount of money to pay extra. I say you buy another car especialy if slip diffs cost that much! Or weld the fucker and be done!
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Well its just something to consider, Id have to strip it down and fit a hand operated handbrake aswell (it is a manual in case youre wondering), not to mention new coilovers and bucket seats, I get thrown around the car enough without drifting! Power realy isnt the issue, in fact learning in an underpowered car is said to make you a better drifter. Im leaning towards a BMW 325i E36, for which u can get an aftermarket LSD for £750, nissan ones are £500, and u can get a lot more other upgrade parts easily. But a 200SX starts from around £1200 for the S13, more like 3-4k for the S14. BMWs on the other hand are common as anything so u can get them cheap, and have a cheap and cheerful trackday/drifting car.

btw if any of you are interested in drifting Id sugest you go to www.driftworks.com especially those of you with AMG W202's, everyone loves new types of cars being used for drifting, especially european ones as atm its pretty much a japanese dominated sport, but thats ONLY because of the avaliability of upgrade parts for them. I say help make it a more popular sport in europe and get companies motivated to make aftermarket parts for Mercedes and BMWs!

Originally posted by Spoonman
    Well its just something to consider, Id have to strip it down and fit a hand operated handbrake aswell (it is a manual in case youre wondering), not to mention new coilovers and bucket seats, I get thrown around the car enough without drifting! Power realy isnt the issue, in fact learning in an underpowered car is said to make you a better drifter. Im leaning towards a BMW 325i E36, for which u can get an aftermarket LSD for £750, nissan ones are £500, and u can get a lot more other upgrade parts easily. But a 200SX starts from around £1200 for the S13, more like 3-4k for the S14. BMWs on the other hand are common as anything so u can get them cheap, and have a cheap and cheerful trackday/drifting car.

btw if any of you are interested in drifting Id sugest you go to www.driftworks.com especially those of you with AMG W202's, everyone loves new types of cars being used for drifting, especially european ones as atm its pretty much a japanese dominated sport, but thats ONLY because of the avaliability of upgrade parts for them. I say help make it a more popular sport in europe and get companies motivated to make aftermarket parts for Mercedes and BMWs!
    can you post up a pic of your aftermarket handbrake, and where u mounted it and how u plumbed it in? thanks
    -Logan-

Originally posted by c280nz
    can you post up a pic of your aftermarket handbrake, and where u mounted it and how u plumbed it in? thanks
    I havent got one, I was saying its something I would have to do if I wanted to drift it.

oh true,
    sorry didnt get that part when i glanced over your comment

give RacerXofFL a drilling and he may let you in on his frankenstein lsd mod he is running in his c280.
    i beleive it is based around a lsd out of a 300e?
    -Logan-

Oh one more thing, anyone know of an ECU upgrade or remap for the C180? with 120bhp standard how much could I get extra?

with a ecu upgrade you will get a increase of 6 whp. congrats....haha

Tuner/Vendor
    oh true,
    sorry didnt get that part when i glanced over your comment

give RacerXofFL a drilling and he may let you in on his frankenstein lsd mod he is running in his c280.
    i beleive it is based around a lsd out of a 300e?
    He is running a LSD out of a 190e 16v, the 3.27 flavor. The euro spec has a 3.07 LSD...

To run a 16v diff in a c280, you need to swap the rear closing cover of the c280 cover, and it's a direct bolton.

Over at 190revolution there is also a detailed writeup on how to put a 'spring pack' inside of the diff to act as a 'quaff' type system that helps push against the clutch packs in the diff, raising the locking percentage. We have not tried this yet, but hear good things about it.
    www.Turbobenz.com
    1987 MB 190E - Project M104 (For Sale)
    2005 Subaru WRX - The Daily
    Shop car -
    1996 MB C280 - 5 speed/3.27 LSD/3.2L M104 swap

Originally posted by blind26
    He is running a LSD out of a 190e 16v, the 3.27 flavor. The euro spec has a 3.07 LSD...

To run a 16v diff in a c280, you need to swap the rear closing cover of the c280 cover, and it's a direct bolton.

Over at 190revolution there is also a detailed writeup on how to put a 'spring pack' inside of the diff to act as a 'quaff' type system that helps push against the clutch packs in the diff, raising the locking percentage. We have not tried this yet, but hear good things about it.
    yea a company called phantom grip make those diff spring packs, and aparantly they work quite well but are hard on your diff
    -Logan-

Tuner/Vendor
    yea a company called phantom grip make those diff spring packs, and aparantly they work quite well but are hard on your diff
    Only problem with phantom, as far as I recall, have never made one for the w201 platform, hence making a custom one
    www.Turbobenz.com
    Shop car -

Well it all looks like too much effort or too much money I might aswell buy a beemer for track use and just drive my W202 on the road.

Tuner/Vendor
    W201 LSD diffs can be picked up from $150-$300, and can be installed in a few hours.

Assuming the clutchpacks in the diff are in good working condition, they should give you a decent ammount of grip. The sprung plates do nothing more than increase the internal clamping force of the clutches, giving you a higher lock percentage.

I think $300 max and a few wrenching hours is more cost effective than buying another car
    www.Turbobenz.com
    Shop car -

heres ur cheap and cheerful solution

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282251455...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hi, since this old thread was discussing the W201 diff use for W202, do you guys know whether the W201 2.6 manual diff with 3.92 ratio is: 1) equipped with LSD, 2) can be used in W202.
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    I want to get into drifting and unfortunately you need some kind of LSD or locked diff to not loose speed during a slide. My mercedes C180 would be fine for drifting if it had an LSD, but as a road car I dont want to weld the diff up which would be the cheap option. I was wondering if any of you knew any manufacturers of LSD's for my car. Its a W202 C180, 1993. My only other option is to wait and buy a jap car or BMW for which aftermarket LSD's are avaliable.
    hi, i wanted something similar for all round use, road and a bit of fun... i managed to come across this 25% limited slip dif converter, ive only picked up my w202 today so i havnt even purchased/tested the lsd yet but it could be worth a go!

my only issue is that it says it fits the c220 and c280 from 1993 to 2000, if all w202s came with the same diff (other than the amg models) it should fit fine... can anyone confirm if all w202s have the same diff?