Thread: bad shaking at 50mph+

bad shaking at 50mph+

I just bought my 99 c230 its a nice car and my first mercedes. I had to replace the both lower control arms shocks and 4 coil springs. along with lower ball joints.

The car has 18" linsor rims on it. they came with the car. When i hit 50mph the steering wheel shakes left to right and the car vibrates. I thought it was the tires. I had them balanced and checked at 2 different shops. I have crawled under the car and checked all bushings no play in any of the connection points. I had the shop who did the balance look over everything and they said it was fine, but i cant figure out what it is and i cant drive the car on the highway. I am beginning to think it is the rims. i did a search and from what i have read it could be bearings but i have no noises just shaking.

thanks for your input.

Mine didn't shake but going over roads that has been repaired or uneven roads my car will "jump/skip" to either side. Fing scary especially if you're going at highway speeds. I did everything; new tires, alignment, bushing, struts. Nothing fixed it, then my car got totaled so now it's not an issue. I think this is a common issue with many owners but I don't know if anyone has an answer to this.
    1997 C230

In Charge
    Depends on the track (width) of the wheels. Having wider wheels, and thus tires, typically extend the stance out to feel ruts and uneven roads. If you are on a smooth road, and it vibrates at 50mph, I would check out the steering damper.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

the front tires are 8" wide. ive did the steering adjustment checked all bushings. the vibration goes away when i hit 80mph. ive changed to older tires and it still does in on a freshly paved road.

Had the same problem before. I did balance my Dunlop tires but it didn't solve the problem. I checked the bushings and ball joints also. Went to a mechanic shop and the guy told me that the culprit could be the driveshaft since my car only vibrates at a certain speed. He replaced it, and the vibration/shaking went away.

I had the same issue with my 94 C280 and chased this issue for over a year. My car had factory AMG 170 rims and would vibrate between 55-60mph. New control arms, bushings, roadforce balance, etc....nothing would help. The culprit ended up being a crack in the rear control arm mount where the spot welds are located. I had the crack welded up and after tat the car was smooth as glass at all speeds. Good luck.
    1994 C280
    1996 C36
    2005 C55
    2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    1999 Porsche 911
    ......dang now I know where all my money went.