Thread: Attn: Luwin1026

Attn: Luwin1026

Is the section I have highlighted in your pic a mod, or standard in the US?

I don't have this on my car.

I presume it is just a cover or trim?

Looks much neater than mine.
    1999 C230 Kompressor Sport. Manual.
    17\" AMG\'s, AMG \'43 Exhaust, Xenons, Custom Grille, 10\" JL Sub, Kenwood MP3, Handsfree and 5.8\" LCD DVD SatNav

OG Moderator
    Graham,

The cover is actually off a SLK and the 203 C-coupe. It is comprised of 2 pieces.

Usually, on the SLK, there are connectors that allow this cover to just snap on. Being that my car does not have such connectors, and is not quite a direct fit, some creative trimming is required.

I attached the two pieces together to make one piece with a few screws and some JB-Weld. I then got the hacksaw out to do some creative trimming/cutting, then finished up those areas with the Dremel. I then made some brackets to hold the cover in place.

It is much more pleasing to the eye than a bunch of wires and miscellaneous engine parts.

You can just ring up your dealer, and ask for the engine cover for the SLK. Or you can do what I did and go to the dealer to pop off the engine cover off the display SLK and jot down the part number. The two parts should come out to be around $60-80 US dollars.

Hope this helps - good luck!

willpower
    oooh... that looks great!!

OG Moderator
    Willpower, make sure it is the SLK 230, not the 320 or 32.... we don't have that cover... only the 4 cylinders do.
    Token Chrysler owner

hey luwin,
    how did u get the thing to stay in place? what kinda brackets?

Originally posted by J__
    how did u get the thing to stay in place? what kinda brackets?
    erm...I will let Lu answer that himself...I can still see him sitting outside half the afternoon filing pieces and bits .

greetingz,

1993 C250D with 600+k kilometer AND cause of 2 confiscated driving licenses * DIESELpower pur sang
    www.MBenz.NL

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by MBenzNL
    erm...I will let Lu answer that himself...I can still see him sitting outside half the afternoon filing pieces and bits .

greetingz,

I remember too, Steve - the blisters on my hand served as a good reminder. And good thing it started raining - so I got to move my work into the garage.

To answer the question, I drilled some holes in not-that-visible-to-the-passerby and then secured it using zipties. You can use whatever you so desire - shoelaces, silly string, etc. - I chose to use the zipties instead of a metal bracket that I had made in the past for ease of removal - you would have to take the cover off at every oil change as the filter is located underneath.

NICE!
    thnx luwin, that'll help alot wen i find something to cover my gap
    happy newyear