Thread: 1996 C280 Problem

1996 C280 Problem

My 1996 C280 has a few issues. About one month ago, the heater hose from head to heater core broke, and coolant was leaking like crazy. I kept filling up the expansion tank with water before it got cold, and then antifreeze. I started it daily to get the water and antifreeze to mix together. The leaking continued (about 1 quart in 10 miles) I went away for a few days, and tried to start it when I got back. The starter engaged for a split second, and then just spins, but it is not engaging. This may be a solenoid problem due to antifreeze leaking just above the starter??? Does my diagnosis sound plausible? I still haven't gotten the leaking solved but do have the parts on order, but now I can't start the car due to the starter just spinning. Any advise is welcome. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walterk55 View Post
    My 1996 C280 has a few issues. About one month ago, the heater hose from head to heater core broke, and coolant was leaking like crazy. I kept filling up the expansion tank with water before it got cold, and then antifreeze. I started it daily to get the water and antifreeze to mix together. The leaking continued (about 1 quart in 10 miles) I went away for a few days, and tried to start it when I got back. The starter engaged for a split second, and then just spins, but it is not engaging. This may be a solenoid problem due to antifreeze leaking just above the starter??? Does my diagnosis sound plausible? I still haven't gotten the leaking solved but do have the parts on order, but now I can't start the car due to the starter just spinning. Any advise is welcome. Thanks
    It was not the selenoid. I think that antifreeze solution that was massively leaking may have gotten into the Crankshaft Position Sensor connection that is in the same area in the engine bay. SO possible that the CPS was not working. I had a can of CRC brand QD Electronic Contact cleaner, and gave the rear of the engine area a healthy spraying. (pure shotgun approach) After a second try, the engine came to life. Not sure if the spray was the cause, but was very relieved that the engine is running again. This had been up to now a car that started instantly, except 10 years ago when the CPS needed replacement. Fingers crossed...