Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone ever bought "Mercedes-Benz" illuminated sills from formymercedes.com

Unhappy anyone ever bought "Mercedes-Benz" illuminated sills from formymercedes.com

has anyone ever bought "Mercedes-Benz" illuminated sills from formymercedes.com? do you have any pics? Are they good quality? do the front sills completely cover the oem sill? I've seen some pics where they don't, like on autorice.

are they like these?

[IMG]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgDjAj8T9HUnALb6ZfHZ6zhpSFQKzD19K*9xMJnLJitF!FI8O fAc!f4lqOOo8Lcm7kFIB5fHK3qECuiG82hxBqoXbjcMP!5jPRt zxD5KpYE/Image010.jpg?dc=4675426355752963420[/IMG]

They're cheaper on eBay.
    1995 Imperial Red C36 AMG
    1998 Brilliant Silver C43 AMG
    1999 Brilliant Silver C230 Kompressor with 5-speed manual

thats where he is selling them.

do the connectors match mb, or are they different like autorice and other ebay ones

-pictures of anyone who bought them from here would help
    1999 C230 Kompressor Sport, 197
    The modding has started. Too many to list. Stay Tuned.

Originally posted by JDoggery
    do the connectors match mb, or are they different like autorice and other ebay ones

-pictures of anyone who bought them from here would help
    j where did you get your sills? are the fronts shaped like in the pic?

sorry I missed the "upcoming mods" part

I have a set of sills, but they are not installed yet because the connectors that are on them are smaller than what mb has. I would have to cut/ splice them to install, and I am not too happy about cutting up my cars wiring. They look exactly like the ones in the picture except they say Brabus. All four doors light up. They are from autorice.

I have bought things from Jerry @ formymercedes before (as long as it's the same guy that owns the website)...he's a great guy to deal with...haven't had experience with those door sills though...
    2006 xB - bubble tea mobile
    1984 AE86 SR5 - project levin
    1986 AE86 GTS - project trueno

DONT MESS WITH AUTORICE you are gunna be disapointed hes a stoopid ass
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

OG Moderator

Lightbulb

I have a set of sills, but they are not installed yet because the connectors that are on them are smaller than what mb has. I would have to cut/ splice them to install, and I am not too happy about cutting up my cars wiring. They look exactly like the ones in the picture except they say Brabus. All four doors light up. They are from autorice.

what do you mean the connector doesn't match with MB connector..?
    are we talking about W202 and SLK R170 here..?

As far as I know this accessories was an after thought, meaning it was never designed to be an accessory in the first place at the time they design the car, therefore in MB Factory harness there is no extra connector to connect to this.

Even if you buy MB OEM illumination door sill (available in only in "Mercedes Benz" script) you still need to splice wires or connect the wires at the door sensor via a screw..

anyway you put it , it's not going to be plug and play, hence wire-splicing will be necessary.. !!

The newer car might come prewired and will be ready for plug and play but I am not sure.

So far I have seen G500 and G55, S 600(W220), SL silver arrow edition (if I remember correclty) came with illumination door sill at the dealer.
    These newer cars might be prewired from the factory.

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

The person I spoke with at my local shop showed me where he would connect them at the door sensor, and mentioned that oem ones connect in. He may be wrong, I don't know. According to what you guys are talking about wire splicing is needed to install these aftermarket ones. If that is the case I would want someone who knows what they are doing to install them. Ideas?

They're after market so there's 2 wires that came with.
    Red "+" black "-" all you got to do is grab the red tapped it to any wire except brown color wire. Then ran the black wire to the doom
    light and you're done.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

C'mon guys, you can be more creative than that. No wires need to be cut to install the sills. It may take a little more effort, but just think about the problem a little bit.

No ghetto modding! no cutting! haha. Good luck! and if y'all can't figure it out, I'll post up later with a solution.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Renn 208
    C'mon guys, you can be more creative than that. No wires need to be cut to install the sills. It may take a little more effort, but just think about the problem a little bit.

No ghetto modding! no cutting! haha. Good luck! and if y'all can't figure it out, I'll post up later with a solution.

no cut necessarry ...I should edit my post.

but wiring spicing maybe necessary,and and like I mention you could also connect the wire at door sensor via scew

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

I've bought sills from ForMyMercedes.com I, too have heard bad things about autorice, but Jerry at FMM has always been helpful and stands by his products. In my case the sills completely cover the OEM ones and wiring isn't very difficult. BTW, make sure you ground it to the door pin as most people have said and NOT the dome light. If you ground it to the dome light, opening one door will cause all the sills to turn on as opposed to just the door that's open.

Can those that have done this post pictures of what they did.

Can those that have done this post pictures of what they did.
    Sadly, I didn't take pictures of the process. But if I open up my door and sill again, I'll be sure to take pictures. And like I said, no cutting or splicing of factory wiring was done to get my sills working.

With Scorchie's infinite help, I created my own customized door sills from the aftermarket-type sills.

1. Purchase spare set of stock clk sills (not necessary, but I did not want to cut up the sills that came with my car as they would be about $300 to replace)

2. remove polycarbonate window from EL sill

3. create sticker to replace the "Mercedes Benz" that was originally on the EL Sill, and place on the polycarb window

4. relplace poly carb window and neatly mount up EL strip

5. drill hole in center of stock sill to run EL power wire out of sight.

6. Use double sided tape to stick on EL sill to Stock door sill.

7. Make wiring harness using blade connectors and some length of wire to connect to the puddle light in door, and to power up the door sills.

8. open up the door card and run wiring from puddle light through the door joint and into the wiring gutter and connect to sill

9. Snap on door sill after neatly tying up wires.

Viola...custom EL door sills. This method may take more work than just spicing into gutter wiring or tapping the door pin, but like I said, I like the fact that I didn't have to sacrifice any stock wiring to get it done. Sure no one can see all this extra work, but hey at least I know it was done properly.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

search. think. do. post.

Taking the extra work so that things could be returned 100% back to stock and the awsome looking "Renn 208" once again qualify you as full fledged fanatic. And I still haven't recovered from the envy of your vacation.
    moebiusgold
    \'95 C36

Looks awesome. Thanks for the input. Numbers 7 and 8 would be the ones that I would would need further info if you can. I don't have any experience in this area. Also, where are you located?

Post JOSH K

You said it directly fits over the oem sill. I oem sill were 2 black strips running across the door. I have illuminated door sills installed on my car, but its not a DIRECT fit. The sills were a little larger so when its installed, the edge of the sill hangs over a little bit in the interior. At formymercedes.com , are the sills EXACTLY a DIRECT fit? everything is flush?

I have not seen an aftermarket sill that is a "perfect" fit, as there is a bit of an overhang, however holler if you run into one that does exist.

To expand on 7: On the puddle light end, the light plugs into the power with blade connectors, I have simply Y-d into the circuit between the puddle light plugs and the stock wires:

These pictures should make things clear:

and just a little closer:

As for 8, that's vehicle specific, and I'm sure that you can find the instructions on the forum with the search function. (I have a 208, so I'll spare everyone from the details)

Good luck!

search. think. do. post.

sill installation is different for almost every model. generally easier on C's and E's. S's are a biznatch to install.

I installed it on a W140 basically all four will turn on when lights are on, it's hard to configure them correctly on S-Class's.
    www.AutoRice.com

old thread yes, but does anyone have part numbers for oem sills, I saw part numbers on another thread but they were not correct, I know for a fact that the rear can have el door sills, I just need all the oem numbers to pick up a set....
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
    old thread yes, but does anyone have part numbers for oem sills, I saw part numbers on another thread but they were not correct, I know for a fact that the rear can have el door sills, I just need all the oem numbers to pick up a set....
    sure you can have el door sills, but they will not be original mercedes parts. The only mercedes part numbers you will find will be for non-el sills.

search. think. do. post.