Thread: Here we go again.......springs.

Here we go again.......springs.

Getting ready to install some 1 bump springpads on my 2000 C 230 K.
    Are their any other options, beside using the horribly expensive Klann compressor, to do this job safely ?
    My main concern is with the front springs.
    Yes, I have a few mods, but they\'re so discrete, my wife hasn\'t noticed them.

2000 C 230 K

un bolt the control arms and use a jack to slowly pring it down till teh spring is lose, but have to make sure where ur jack point is at or will slip and teh spring will pop to ur face.

use the proper spring compressor, the job will go much quicker, and much safer...
    1999 C43 - Carlsson 18\" 1/6 Diamond... Vogtland Springs ... Koni Ext. Adjustable... Clears...

how long do you guyz estimate the time to be in changing the pads up front for a first time

Elvir
    Baaa

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by C280 JR
    how long do you guyz estimate the time to be in changing the pads up front for a first time

Elvir
    w/out the spring compressor i would guess at least 2 hours a side.
    Got BRABUS?

Make it easy on yourself. Rent or buy a good spring compresser. It'll save piles of time that you can use for other good stuff. Pluss it cuts down on the bleep, bleeps.
    moebiusgold
    \'95 C36

CKlasse
    Many local tool/parts stores in Denver lease/rent out tools for free all the time. Check your local stores!

Originally posted by 714guy
    w/out the spring compressor i would guess at least 2 hours a side.
    i taught it was impossible to take it out with out spring compressor

Elvir
    Baaa

OG Moderator

Elvir
    nothing is impossible.
    Got BRABUS?

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by moebiusgold
    Make it easy on yourself. Rent or buy a good spring compresser. It'll save piles of time that you can use for other good stuff. Pluss it cuts down on the bleep, bleeps.
    the spring compressor needed for the w202 is $500+ not worth it if your gonna to just do it a couple times. Also i dont know of a place that rents one either. Besides only the front take a long time the rears are easy.
    Got BRABUS?

i might use my friends AUDI spring comressor...would that be any easier comared to some other compressors in autozone, and pepboyz

Elvir
    Baaa

OG Moderator

Elvir

I lowered my car myself without the help of spring compressor

If you know, how to do it nothing is impossible.

But whenever you want to do a DIY, always inspect carefull and study how all the mechanical part work together, and also ask yourself alot of question "if" after you study the layout (i.e: if I take this out, would this part came out as I expected etc..etc..)

And please be safe, since the spring might sprung out and might injured you if you not carefull.
    These force from the spring is pretty great, enough to do some damage

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

I have not checked this method, but I would give it a shot.

It would involve separating the upper ball joint and then loosen the two lower control arm bolts and remove the swaybar connection to the control arm.

Make sure the lower arm is supported when you remove the upper ball joint . By loosening up the control arm bolts you allow the control arm to rotate out and down, maybe enough to remove the spring.

My eariler attemps at this method were no good but I did not loosen the lower control arm bolts and that makes the control arm almost impossible to move downward due to the friction in the bushings. With the bolts loose the arm should just rotate downward with little trouble allowing removal of the spring.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

see my main fear is damaging the lower control arm bushings

Elvir
    Baaa

Elvir
    Well they problay need replacing anyways!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Elvir
    You won't hurt the bushings doing what Speedbenz says. I doubt you could hurt them even if you didn't undo the bolts but you'd have to be superman to push that lower control arm down far enough. Other than age what really kills the bushings is not loosening the bolts when changing ride hights. This causees the bushing to be continuously twisted whch starts cracks in the tension areas. I can rent a nice compressor for $20 for the day. Not made for MB specifically but works fine. My experience is the these bushings won't last 10 years. All 4 or my lower C36 front have been replaced. Good luck and careful, those springs can have a lot of stored energy.
    moebiusgold
    \'95 C36

Originally posted by moebiusgold
    You won't hurt the bushings doing what Speedbenz says. I doubt you could hurt them even if you didn't undo the bolts but you'd have to be superman to push that lower control arm down far enough. Other than age what really kills the bushings is not loosening the bolts when changing ride hights. This causees the bushing to be continuously twisted whch starts cracks in the tension areas. I can rent a nice compressor for $20 for the day. Not made for MB specifically but works fine. My experience is the these bushings won't last 10 years. All 4 or my lower C36 front have been replaced. Good luck and careful, those springs can have a lot of stored energy.
    I may rent a compressor, but am unsure on install, i dont want a spring in the face, ehh what the heck might as well try. if not i can allways hire Rsports to do it for 160
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by speedybenz
    I have not checked this method, but I would give it a shot.

It would involve separating the upper ball joint and then loosen the two lower control arm bolts and remove the swaybar connection to the control arm.

Make sure the lower arm is supported when you remove the upper ball joint . By loosening up the control arm bolts you allow the control arm to rotate out and down, maybe enough to remove the spring.

My eariler attemps at this method were no good but I did not loosen the lower control arm bolts and that makes the control arm almost impossible to move downward due to the friction in the bushings. With the bolts loose the arm should just rotate downward with little trouble allowing removal of the spring.

Jeff
    Somebody mentioned doing it this way by just remove he lower control bolts, i think you need a lift for this.

the way i do is remove the uppper control arm ball joint, then lower control ball joint and its work fine.
    Got BRABUS?