Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattling noise from the exhaust

Rattling noise from the exhaust

Since i bought the car, second hand by the dealerschip (about 1 year ago, with 55000 Km on the clock) I've a problem that, as per MB technician is not a big worry.

Mine is a manual C200 Kompressor.

Revving in neutral at about 4500 5000 rpm (but during cruise otherwise engine limiter cut at about 3500 4000 rpm) I hear a rattling noise sincronized with the engine rpm.

MB technician say that it's from the exhaust and it's not a problem!

Please do You have some similar experience.

Marco

:hmmm:

my muffler is so loud that i can't even tell, by before i had the new muffler put on, i can't recall any noise, since my stereo always up high, so sorry dude, can't help u on that one.!

MBATF, thanks a lot in any case.

Marco

No other idea?

Do your exhaust hangers look okay?
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Thanks Renn 208,

sorry for my late reply, but during W-end I'm without PC.

Regarding your question, yes. They have been checked by MB technician and they said that noise is coming from inside the exaust (stock from factory); (it seems some internal element).

Hi

Marco

hey, I have the same problem, four months ago I bought an AMG exhaust system for my 230k and I still hear the same noise from inside the exhaust. Nobody can tell me what it is even the technicians from MB....

I need help too!!!! :bored:

Thanks a lot Sw1tched, it seems we have same noise. According to my MB technician it's not a problem.

...but our engine is a Mercedes not a washing machine

:bored:

hi

That is what I mean, we bought a MB we expected quality, it is not possible that if we paid almost 1000 dlls. for a AMG exhaust system we have that kind of problems. Friday I am going with a mechanic that a friend recommended to me, so If he can correct the problem, I will tell you.

1999 C230 KOMPRESSOR
    Sport package
    Manual Transmission

I'm with You.

Hoping You'll solve the matter.

Marco

when in park, when i rev i get a single "click" noise at exactly 1.5 rpms. it also does this in drive, but i forgot what rpm.

O.k...here might be something helppufl, cuz i have seen some foo did this to otehr people's car...taht is... Some stupid people sometimes will throw coin(s) from teh tip into teh muffler, and then when you start driving, teh coin(s) will rattle, and making noises, teh bad news is..if thats the case, then 90% the time they can get it out, but good news is, if you ar ethe lucky 10% then they might cut undo teh muffler, and shaking it out of the pipe, or teh tip, but thats only 10% of teh chance

Re: Rattling noise from the exhaust

Originally posted by 1998K
    Since i bought the car, second hand by the dealerschip (about 1 year ago, with 55000 Km on the clock) I've a problem that, as per MB technician is not a big worry.
    [snip]

!!!!
    I'm on my 4th AMG exhaust due to this
    !!!!

I have a C43.

1st replacement was due to being rear ended while I was sitting at a stop light. The original exhaust did not rattle.

The body shop replaced the exhaust. Within much less than a year, "something" started rattling around 2500 rpm. I couldn't put my finger on what it was ; I though it was something in the body. The dealership diagnosed it to be the exhaust.

MB parts are under a 1 year warranty, so they were good enough to replace it for me and not make me have to go back to the Body Shop. [that's exhaust # 3 on the car].

THEN, within less than 1 year THAT exhaust started to rattle. Here's the rub, MB does not warrranty a part that was replaced under warranty. They were about to make me pay for a new one!!!

HOWEVER, the car was still under warranty. Thus they replaced it again. So now I'm on my 4th exhaust on the car.

It's without a doubt a quality control problem with the exhaust manufacturer for Mercedes. My dealership says there's "no known problem" for the exhaust.

Finding this thread was quite a surprise; but then again not. I see there's quite a number of us that have experienced this same thing now. Time to become a vocal minority I see and get MB to acknowledge this quality control issue of theirs.

You guys ever try checking your differential mount bushing?
    I think there's 2 rubber bushing. See if those bushing are worned out. If the bushing are out then it might also one of the cause for the rattling sound.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

Om C36's the amg exhaust hanger is kinda long. See if the rod that the rubber thingie is hooked up too is rubbing against the back of the bumper. I had that problem..cut an inch off the rod thingie.
    2005 TSX Graphite Pearl Auto With NAVI
    Autostart Autostarter
    Progress Rear Sway Bar
    USDM Bodykit
    USDM Foglights

1997 AMG C36 (RIP Thank God)
    OEM Bosche Clear Corners
    OEM AdvanteGarde Grill
    Bilstein Sport Shocks
    Eibach Springs
    Zender rear lip spoiler
    Speedybenz custom rear camber arms
    W210 mirrors

Unhappy

Problem mentioned by JRE320 seems to be another terrible gost! Few days ago I went to dealership because another problem: some rattle coming from underside of car running on "bad surfaces" (particulary downhill), hearing particularry also with engine off in neutral and preceeding very slowly. MB Technician refer to a common problem due to a lack of coupling somewhere in the transmission shaft! Nothing to worry too much as he said!

Story does not conclude: ticking noise from front left side as per MB technician seems to give advance of a wheel bearing that has decide to stop working well.

Waiting next service for further investigation and repair where necessary.

All above, to add to the exhaust rattling noise!

Originally posted by JRE320
    You guys ever try checking your differential mount bushing?
    I think there's 2 rubber bushing. See if those bushing are worned out. If the bushing are out then it might also one of the cause for the rattling sound.
    I second that! I hope thaT's what the noise is and not my tranny!

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

Paul
    my exhaust did the same thing,there was a nut at the base of
    the header that was slightly loose,it was hard to notice,very rusty.but after replacing the exhaust($3500NZD,which could almost buy a custom brabus C43),I tightened the nut and
    fixed the problem....very gutting

OG Moderator
    with most rattling noises from exhausts.. check all clamps and brackets that contact the exhaust, next any loose heat shields can cause noises.
    most common problem is the catalytic converter rattling.
    and with some people mentioning the AMG exhausts and rattling.. Ive seen a few replaced due to broken welds rattling around in the muffler.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    with most rattling noises from exhausts.. check all clamps and brackets that contact the exhaust, next any loose heat shields can cause noises.
    most common problem is the catalytic converter rattling.
    and with some people mentioning the AMG exhausts and rattling.. Ive seen a few replaced due to broken welds rattling around in the muffler.
    Noise sounds like its coming from the new high flow cats.Not completely sure though!

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

Problem mentioned by JRE320 seems to be another terrible gost! Few days ago I went to dealership because another problem: some rattle coming from underside of car running on "bad surfaces" (particulary downhill), hearing particularry also with engine off in neutral and preceeding very slowly. MB Technician refer to a common problem due to a lack of coupling somewhere in the transmission shaft! Nothing to worry too much as he said!

Story does not conclude: ticking noise from front left side as per MB technician seems to give advance of a wheel bearing that has decide to stop working well.

Waiting next service for further investigation and repair where necessary.

All above, to add to the exhaust rattling noise!

up-dating for your information and usefulness:
    exhaust rattling come from catalytic (inside) to keep because seems it's not a problem as per MB technician.

Ticking noise from front left side was the plastic center wheel cap that was not MB original part, has been replaced and it's ok!

Hi

exhaust rattling come from catalytic (inside) to keep because seems it's not a problem as per MB technician.

Ticking noise from front left side was the plastic center wheel cap that was not MB original part, has been replaced and it's ok!

Hi
    ?????????????? Dont understand what you're saying about cats!

Hi

Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    sorry for my bad explanation.

The rattling seems generated from inside the catalytic converter, because of some internal breaking that, according to MB mechanics, is not a big problem.

So I keep it as is, till the catalytic converter will need to be changed.

Hoping now I'm more clear