Thread: gearbox oil additives

gearbox oil additives

Mine is a manual and I've heard about some additives to improve shifting smoothness.
    But I'm reluctant on all the not factory approved product.

Does someone have had some experience? Particularry with manual gearbox.

Hi

this has nothing to do with your question but what is a mercedes manual fell like, clutch point, the gear box. i have driven a VW jetta. 944 and a GM saturn manual if you need something to compare it to.

Re: gearbox oil additives

Originally posted by 1998K
    Mine is a manual and I've heard about some additives to improve shifting smoothness.
    But I'm reluctant on all the not factory approved product.

Does someone have had some experience? Particularry with manual gearbox.

Hi
    Ciao,

I run Mobil 1 in my Getrag gear box. It is pretty slippery even though it is a heavy oil, but under high heat and load it has not failed me yet or have a tranny failure with it. It will rob a few HP when cold but the insurance is work it.

Some suggest Redlline ATE. I haven't tried it but I know it has an excellent reputation. You can run anything from ATE to gear lub in these Getrag tansmissions.

Thanks to all for the reply.
    I'll appreciate the suggested information. As far Sorbo's question, as per my experience (always manual), MB manual, probably as already known, is really not the best. My reference are my previous BMW (E36 318 and E34 M5), both two was more "precise" in the shifting, less obstination in fast shifting. Also the shifting sound into the cabin was less respect mine W202, in which you can well hear the "clonk" feature.

I'm really happy with my W202, this is a little downside, as per my opinion.

Other think that I'd like to have as previous BMW is a mechanical LSD but, this is an old story for both MB and BMW, which are, by now, all provided with ESP, ASR,....

ciao