Thread: belt tensioner wobbling?

belt tensioner wobbling?

i turned the engine on to hear this fast-paced clicking noise. i took a look under the hood and noticed that the clicking noise was coming from the belt tensioner (the one with the bolt coming out of the center), which was wobbling itself. it sounded like metal on plastic type clicking. the noise only intensifies whenever more strain is put on the belt (i.e. turning on the lights, A/C). i just had the harmonic balancer replaced a couple months ago (just FYI, maybe that affects it?). anyone know the problem and/or any fixes?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

OG Moderator
    that happened to me before

whenever I put the car on P or N when the car is not moving (with engine still running) and no noise, but as soon as the gear on D (load on the car) the was this noise and came from belt tensioner..

Dealer replaced the tensioner under warranty.

This belt tensioner shouldn;t have anything to do with your harmonic balance.

You just have to replace it when they go bad..

don't delay replacing it, since you don't know how long they could stay on broken/worn like that..

if anything that I could not stand on my car ......

no no it's not dirt, its noises like that....

God noises like that could get under my skin, ...

and to notice noises like that very soon in the stage is always a good thing

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

unfortunately, im out of the warranty. how much does one of these parts cost roughly?

theres no other repairs that can be done? just straight up replacing it?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

when i had to replace mine i had to buy the tensioner and a tensioner shock. the original tnsioner on my car didn't have a shock srom the factory. 98 c230. the tensioner and shock were about 125$.

I had mine replace at 75,000 Km, it was making a lot of clattery noise on start up due to the broken spring inside the belt tensioner.

It's a different setup to the 4 Cyl M111 engines, but they suffer the same fate eventually when they wear out. What annoys me the most is that often they last as short as 1-1.5 years and 15,000Km.

i went to get an estimate... $238 for the part, about $200 for installation... still cheaper than the dealership but kind of expensive. any ideas?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

anyone ever replace it on their own?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

anyone ever replace it on their own?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

Talking

I'd buy it on the web or at least look there first. Then I'd do it myself. It is more satisfying that way.
    moebiusgold
    \'95 C36

Originally posted by moebiusgold
    I'd buy it on the web or at least look there first. Then I'd do it myself. It is more satisfying that way.
    yeah ive heard its an easy DIY but does anyone have directions?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

i've done on two cars, my c230, and my 91' e300 2.6. both are pretty much the same procedure. take the belt off, next take the plastic cover off the tensioner. then you'll see a torx bolt in the middle. pretty much self explanitory after that.

Just think, they charge $200 for that. If you have the right tools, 15 Min.
    moebiusgold
    \'95 C36

hmm my car started the clicks, only when warming up tho, sticky lifters i problay need to change that oil too. SOund deadened when i changed air filters....weird??/
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by moebiusgold
    Just think, they charge $200 for that. If you have the right tools, 15 Min.

only with the right tool and the right skill
    15 min..

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.