Thread: 18" amg wheels

18" amg wheels

i just installed 18" amg monoblock 18-8.5 with 225/40r18 falken tires on my 202 im just wondering if its normal for the steering to move to the left or to the right on an uneven road but runs straight in a smooth and clear road ? before i had the stock rims and it doesnt seem to have any problem on any type of road. btw the suspensions are stock as well thanks !

Perhaps maybe on your old stock wheels you had thicker rubber than you do now and you could not feel the bumps as much, now that u have low profile tires on it problay stiffined stuff up so u can feel the imperfections in the road more.
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

This is called " tramlining", just one of the side effects of wide tires.
    PITA.
    Also, an 8.5 " rim is quite wide for a 225 tire.
    Yes, I have a few mods, but they\'re so discrete, my wife hasn\'t noticed them.

2000 C 230 K

Smile It's Normal! Pictures Please????

Pictures please. I am looking at the same set-up.

I'm not sure if I recall any with 18" monos and stock suspension...but you might want to check out the members gallery, as I know there are more than a couple 202 with 18" monoblocks.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

i had my balance and alighment done, but still with my 18s, on uneven roads the car turns either left or right depending on the direction the road is tilitng...its normal...

Elvir
    Baaa

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by nitrox_john

i just installed 18" amg monoblock 18-8.5 with 225/40r18 falken tires on my 202 im just wondering if its normal for the steering to move to the left or to the right on an uneven road but runs straight in a smooth and clear road ? before i had the stock rims and it doesnt seem to have any problem on any type of road. btw the suspensions are stock as well thanks !

Originally posted by C280 JR
    i had my balance and alighment done, but still with my 18s, on uneven roads the car turns either left or right depending on the direction the road is tilitng...its normal...

Elvir

it's because the stock tires traction is SUCKS big times.
    Stock/OEM tires usually fitted on the car with Comfort and noise level as number 1 priority

now with the oversized wheels (17-20") and low profiles tires..
    (Most low profile tires are Ultra high performance or All Season - High Performance tires in which they have supperior traction grip compare to the stock tires) you have more traction.

This is why with bigger wheel/tires combo the ride is definitely firmer (and can be too harsh for somepeople taster or with wrong method of lowering as well)
    and beause of the superior traction you wil definitely get more feedback of the road surface and it's not a great feel especially on bad road surfaces..

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

supersparker

Re: 18" amg wheels

I have just installed 18" Monoblocks also and can say that I am experiencing the same issue.

Same here I am rollin on 18" monoblock II and they do the same thing. Put I also put in Tokico Adjustable shocks with Eibach Suspension kit and Springs and they help so much. The ride are allot more comfortable now then before.

I highly recommend you upgrade your shocks next and you will know the different

ty
    Thi (ty) Tu
    Salt Lake City, Utah(US.A.)
    -dame is really cold here-

Originally posted by slam96c36
    Same here I am rollin on 18" monoblock II and they do the same thing. Put I also put in Tokico Adjustable shocks with Eibach Suspension kit and Springs and they help so much. The ride are allot more comfortable now then before.

I highly recommend you upgrade your shocks next and you will know the different

ty
    Do they have tokico adjustables for the c43?

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    Do they have tokico adjustables for the c43?
    You don't need Tokico adjustable in your C43. Bilteins sport shock will do it.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

Originally posted by manny
    This is called " tramlining", just one of the side effects of wide tires.
    PITA.
    Also, an 8.5 " rim is quite wide for a 225 tire.
    That's exactly why I'm going to try using 235's up front,255's in the rear.

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

Lightbulb

stock suspension with trunk filled with luggage

travelled with 4 passengers, handling was superb , im wondering if its the same ride and comfort in lowered c class ? hmmmm.

travelled with 4 passengers, handling was superb , im wondering if its the same ride and comfort in lowered c class ? hmmmm.
    Whoa! Jasper or Banff?

jasper & banff in 2 weeks in a c230 a little underpowered though but the ride was perfect !

is the handling the same in lowered c class ?

Nice,However your tires look like they are maxed out! What size are the tires ,both front and rear?

225/40r18 all around but i should have gotten much bigger tires at the back

225/40r18 all around but i should have gotten much bigger tires at the back
    I'm wondering if I could go with 235's in front.225's look a little tight and toooo low.

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by coolcarlskic43
    I'm wondering if I could go with 235's in front.225's look a little tight and toooo low.

that depend on the tire brand.

Some brand and model have narrower shoulder compare to other given the same width (i,e 225/40/18)

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

jasper & banff in 2 weeks in a c230 a little underpowered though but the ride was perfect !
    I had to ask. I grew up in Edmonton. Lived in Calgary for a little
    bit during the early 80's and I call Alberta my "home". I'm flying
    there next week.

Cruising in a C230 is alright. It just gets a little tough on the car
    if you have mountains to climb with 4 people inside.
    I once drove to St. John's Newfoundland in a 1978 Honda Accord
    with 2 friends and it was the most grueling experience that I've
    ever had. The car broke down in Manitoba, spent 3 days
    waiting for the car to get done. Camped out in a public
    park - encountered a polar bear and we ran like Carl Lewis.

Anyway, your car looks good.