Thread: 1994 c280 shift knob replacement?

1994 c280 shift knob replacement?

I've searched. I can't find the steps to replace the shift knob on a 1994 c280.

I can see a jam nut, but I can't figure out how to get to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have this cool wood shifter I'd like to put in! Thanks.

its there you just have to look hard
    do a search

OG Moderator
    Does the whole stalk have to come out on the '94? On the '96, you simply twist the black plastic part at the base of the knob itself about a quarter turn undone and it unlocks the knob from the chrome stalk. It just lifts off.

Yes, it's the shaft and knob together. Looks like you loosen the jam nut and then just unscrew it. I can't figure out how to get the plastic piece off to get to the nut.

Like I said...I've searched. If anybody has done this before I'd appreciate their help. thanks.

Originally posted by Andrew C280
    its there you just have to look hard
    do a search
    Alright, I've searched again and haven't found anything for my (older) style of shifter. All I find is the newer style that twists off.

Does anybody know? Thanks.

OG Moderator
    get the shift gate ring offf, pull of the center gate console and put it to the side. Should be 4 clips to remove on the black plastic piece and then unscrew the shaft.

Originally posted by pnsji
    get the shift gate ring offf, pull of the center gate console and put it to the side. Should be 4 clips to remove on the black plastic piece and then unscrew the shaft.
    Got it done. Thanks for your time.