Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Mass Meter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Air Mass Meter

Originally posted by BenzMeister
    So a 99 AMG MAS should fit my 99 C280, thanks.
    Why don't you try taking them off and compare the part numbers.. That's how I found out that my air mas for my C280 and E320 are the same.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Air Mass Meter

Originally posted by JRE320
    Why don't you try taking them off and compare the part numbers.. That's how I found out that my air mas for my C280 and E320 are the same.
    Good Idea thanks
    Benzmeister
    1999 C280

In the picture of the MAS sensors above the difference is not C36 versus standard M104. The sensor on the left is for an ODBII car 96-00 W202 and the sensor on the right is for a non ODBII car 94-95 W202. My 95 C36 has the sensor on the right.

Oh and we should note that 9 times out of 10 the MAS is being fouled by an over oiled K&N air filter. (raises hand) I am looking into other performance filters currently (ITG, etc) and let you know what I find.

~dnm
    1995 C36 AMG

Originally posted by kodiak
    In the picture of the MAS sensors above the difference is not C36 versus standard M104. The sensor on the left is for an ODBII car 96-00 W202 and the sensor on the right is for a non ODBII car 94-95 W202. My 95 C36 has the sensor on the right.

Oh and we should note that 9 times out of 10 the MAS is being fouled by an over oiled K&N air filter. (raises hand) I am looking into other performance filters currently (ITG, etc) and let you know what I find.

~dnm
    Yes, people have a tendency too over oil K&N, I've used them in all my cars for a decade and never have a problem. Trick is, after you clean the filter, just put a few drops of oil between the seams and let the filter stand for 15 to 20 for the oil to absorb. even then I take a towel and gently wipe the filter down for any excess oil. Never had one fail yet. One other thing, unless you live in the sand there is not need to clean them more then once a year
    Benzmeister
    1999 C280

MAS Diagnosis

For those that have an ODBII car, codes P0171 and P0173 are a tell tale sign that your MAS is failing. When the check engine light goes on, just have the codes read to be sure.

I just went through this last week, but fortunatly, my car is still under warranty.

19000 miles!

Completely stock, no K&N.

-B-

The picture of J Irwin's MAS sensor, side view shows there is a peice missing. There should be plastic cover on the bottom that would enclose the side of the MAS sensor to direct the air up into the metal strip.

Also to clean mine I remove the sensor and spray it with Carb Cleaner, like 1/2 a can or more and then spray it with Brake Cleaner, again 1/2 can or so to remove the carb cleaner residue.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff