Thread: Best head unit/mp3/satellite for 1998 C280?

Best head unit/mp3/satellite for 1998 C280?

I'm looking to buy a radio (new head) unit, so I might as well get one that's satellite ready (and plays MP3s).

What do you recommend for a 1998 C280 (something that will look good, I have the sport package faux carbon fiber) ?

What's better, Sirius or XM ?

Also, is there anyway to -not- add another antenna ?
    C280Sportster

do you like alpine? they have a unit that is not only sat. ready (XM) but the tuner is built in the headunit just add the ant. pioneer is also good. if your going to add amps later, i would probably go with the pioneer, they will sound a whole lot better than any of the comparable alpines, i can guarntee it. Xm is also better than sirius, it's cheaper and they now have commerical free music, plus it sounds better too.

Originally posted by audiophile
    do you like alpine? they have a unit that is not only sat. ready (XM) but the tuner is built in the headunit just add the ant. pioneer is also good. if your going to add amps later, i would probably go with the pioneer, they will sound a whole lot better than any of the comparable alpines, i can guarntee it. Xm is also better than sirius, it's cheaper and they now have commerical free music, plus it sounds better too.
    Alpine is fine, how will it look in the car?

I'm trying to find something that will match well with my interior.

Anyway to hid the antenna?
    C280Sportster

yeah it will look good, it is silver so it will go with the sport interior. you could mount the ant. inside somewhere, or what iam planning to do , put it where the cowl is. (underneath the wiper, that black plastic piece.)

XM
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

Here's what under my radar currently...
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...159496,00.html
    Cheap for it's performance (ebay $300). All the standard function. White display. Looks good! A lot of people do like them but the japanese version of this h/u would be better blending into the carbon fiber.
    http://pioneer.jp/carrozzeria/produc...910/index.html
    But it's more expensive and getting them into the US is a pain, unless you have some hook up.
    LIV2EAT

XM BLOWS! Get Sirius.
    2011 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S. Tronic Ti Package
    APR FMIC
    APR Stage II Software
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust

2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT (Sold)
    1999 C 280 Sport (Sold)
    1995 C 280 (Sold)

Originally posted by davis449
    XM BLOWS! Get Sirius.
    i'm actually trying to decide on which 1 to get...whats the real difference between them?
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

The difference is that XM has more stations, twice as many customers, and more 'advertisment free' stations. No refresh charges, free internet listen for your account, no penalty for cancelation of service. (pro-rated rebate).

You want Stern-go with Sirius ( though I heard he's thinking of leaving). You want music choice with out interuption-go with XM.
    BTW, independent testers rate XM superior to Sirius with less signal drops.

XM Rules!!!! IM(not so humble) opinion.
    \'99 C280 Sport, Brilliant Silver w/ Xenon High Intensity headlamps/ most options

I have been using JVC MP3 CD headunits since the beginning of the whole MP3 headunit craze and they are fantastic. I have listened to MANY mp3 players but the JVC's always seem to sound the best. Also i haven't had any problems and i've been through 3 of them (like them so much bought a new generation for every har i've had). I dont know any of the newest models but i believe the newest model is now DVD MP3 (yes MP3 on a DVD disc which is equivalent to an ipod mini). anyways hope that helps.

Im in the same shoe as C280sporter. I put in the new panasonic HU unit (which has very strong AM signal in other cars), but the AM signal is almost none existent, due to the antenna. Today I copied Audiophile ideal and put in the new antenna under the cow. Sadly, the result signal isnt any better than the original antenna. What else can I do ??