Thread: Safety lock feature for tranny

Question Safety lock feature for tranny

When Mercedes gave me a loaner w203, I noticed that there is a safety lock feature where you cannot put the shifter into reverse or park while the car is in foward motion. Does the w202 have this feature also?

i dunno about high speeds but i shifted into reverse and park by accident once when i was moving forward at 5-10mph. it wasnt very pleasant lol.
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

Thanks......you answered my question. Even at 5 mph, the lock still worked.

I'll bite. Why did you try to put your car into park while it was still in forward motion. I mean, I know it was a loaner, so beat on it, but sheeesh....

:-)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 99C434ME
    [B]I'll bite. Why did you try to put your car into park while it was still in forward motion. I mean, I know it was a loaner, so beat on it, but sheeesh....

I was parking and I tried to put it into reverse without coming to a complete stop by accident. I was curious so I had the car on the freeway and put it into neutral.

I found out that if you tried to put the car back into drive, the tranny wouldn't engage until you came to a complete stop.

I had to coast and pull over to the side of the freeway to engage back into drive..

Ahhh...got ya. Good to know. I can do that in my 99 no problem.