Thread: Going to the drag tomorrow - Launch technique?

Going to the drag tomorrow - Launch technique?

I tought this issue was adressed before, but did not find it in the search.

I'm going to the drag tomorrow, bone stock engine (except air filter)

Since my car isn'T that powerful, I think I'll be able to floor it and don'T care about the reste, altough if the ESP goes on I might floor it a little less.

Now am I better with ESP off?

Should I try brake start?

Should I put the gears up manually?

And if brake start is the best,what RPM are you getting your engine to before launch?

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

i would do a stall break start, and turn off any type of traction control, i was wondering my self if you pull the fuse will the car still work ? even when you turn it off on the dash it still kicks in sometimes, i would just let the auto shift its self and make shure you nail the kickdown switch press on the pedal hard and then harder on the take off. Run premium 94 octane and lower tire pressure in the rear take out any weight like the spare tire ect. oh biggy turn the a/c off and crack the window if you want try it with and then with out and watch your time drop.

Thanks for input

Is the only way to turn the AC off by putting the "ventilation" at zero? Because I don'T have an A/C button.

I will be at 1/4 gaz which should be pretty good.

Again, it's my first time so I'll try different things and let you know.

As for removign the fuse, I'd like input from someone who fif it, but I think you can and that's what you do when going on the dyno.

Oh and for the octane, there is 91 in it, I can't really put 94 since I won't drive enough to get back to 1/4 tank.

Etienne

the best launch I know for auto's is the brake start. I usually can hold the RPM's up to 2,300 before my rear tires start to roast up. I usually would leave the tranny on drive, because the tranny's dont shift right away and you might exceed redline. Good luck and be safe and try to run a faster time then me. 18.2.....
    RoyalFlush202

hey, lower tire pressure will give you more traction and a smaller wheel diameter(while under pressure) increasing torque.

speedy, u got a 230k? u really got 18.2? umm whats the actual numbers for yours?
    95 C220 Moonstone/Gray mb-tex
    MODS
    - Replica Avantgarde Grill
    - Flat hood Emblem
    - Plat +4 plugs
    - In Dash Pioneer CD and pioneer speakers
    - XM Radio
    - pioneer 12\" DVC Sub
    - Boss amp
    - Blue headlights & APC signals
    - H&R Springs
    - Bilstein sports up front
    - 17\" MOMO\'s

fastmayte, no mine is a regular C230, 1998..and I know 18.2 is really slow.oh well
    RoyalFlush202

hey, oh ok. it's coo thou, my 99 vw was getting 18.5, hahaha,

i was lookin for times at www.car-stats.com

they don't have a regular c230, but c 220's for 16.9. i donno how accurate these times are.
    95 C220 Moonstone/Gray mb-tex
    MODS
    - Replica Avantgarde Grill
    - Flat hood Emblem
    - Plat +4 plugs
    - In Dash Pioneer CD and pioneer speakers
    - XM Radio
    - pioneer 12\" DVC Sub
    - Boss amp
    - Blue headlights & APC signals
    - H&R Springs
    - Bilstein sports up front
    - 17\" MOMO\'s

I read 15.6 to 15.7 for the C230K on the quarter mile.

Etienne

Originally posted by SpEeDy230
    the best launch I know for auto's is the brake start. I usually can hold the RPM's up to 2,300 before my rear tires start to roast up. I usually would leave the tranny on drive, because the tranny's dont shift right away and you might exceed redline. Good luck and be safe and try to run a faster time then me. 18.2.....
    Can someone please explain the brake start to me?

Originally posted by DRM
    Can someone please explain the brake start to me?
    Simple - hold the car still with the brakes while pressing the gas pedal. Doing this =winds= the engine up against the torque converter - in other words, the engine rpm increases prior to movement of the car.

Brake starts are common in drag racing. The technique is to hold the car still and give it the maximum amount of throttle possible before the tires start to spin. When the light goes green, sidestep the brake pedal and stomp the gas at the same time. Some cars require less than full throttle until you get moving to avoid excessive wheelspin. This probably won't be a problem for you unless you have a modded car...:bored:

Originally posted by NCC43
    Simple - hold the car still with the brakes while pressing the gas pedal. Doing this =winds= the engine up against the torque converter - in other words, the engine rpm increases prior to movement of the car.

Brake starts are common in drag racing. The technique is to hold the car still and give it the maximum amount of throttle possible before the tires start to spin. When the light goes green, sidestep the brake pedal and stomp the gas at the same time. Some cars require less than full throttle until you get moving to avoid excessive wheelspin. This probably won't be a problem for you unless you have a modded car...:bored:
    Yeah I thought it would be something like that. Should a certain gear be selected? And what's this about starting off in 4th from the lights etc? Newbie to "dragging" as you can see haha.