Thread: ambient temp sensor and trim connector pieces

ambient temp sensor and trim connector pieces

after bottoming out over a pothole in my 96 c36, the front bumper trim piece popped out, along with the ambient temp sensor. i bought a replacement sensor from the stealership (looks like a long skinny cone) for like $13, but i was wondering if there was any way to get the female piece it plugs in to seperately. that piece just ripped out, and now i only have a bare wire left. they sell an entire kit for like $65 with the wiring and all, but i was wondering if there is any way to just buy the female piece for less.

also, since the whole thing popped out, i think it would be a good idea to replace the small plastic links that hold the trim pieces to the bumper. i cant think of a better way to describe them, but when you pull the trim pieces from the bumper, these connector pieces (about 3 inches long) hold them together. there are two on each side's trim piece. since my trim piece popped out while driving, the connectors are now very tattered and need replacing before i put the trim pieces back on the car.

part numbers would be very appreciated. thanks!

Can you take a picture of the clips?
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Originally posted by nokia8860
    Can you take a picture of the clips?
    damn im so dumb... i was about to take a picture of my destroyed bumper trim connector thingy, and i noticed that the part number was embossed on it the whole time! i didnt look at it since it came off and i threw the whole bumper trim apparatus in my trunk. in case anyone else needs it, here it is... 006 988 28 78

anyone know about the connector for the ambient temp sensor? before i thought it was only for the convenience of seeing the outside temp on the instrument cluster, but i think it might be connected to the climate control somehow. even when i turn it to 80 degrees at night the a/c still blows cold.

The parts for the connector are as follows:

210 540 20 81 PIN BUSHING HOUSING
    008 545 63 26 CONTACT BUSHING
    000 545 68 80 GASKET

They should equal out to around $5.00

I believe it is a 2 pin connector, so you might need two of the Contact Bushing part. I'm not positive though.

Martin

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

thanks so much, boominbenz! i would have never found that out on my own...

i didnt know it was such a complex part, its such a small apparatus. did your temp sensor rip out before too?

No, it didn't rip out, but I looked it up on the EPC CD.

The part is just the housing, the connector pins and the waterproof gasket.

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

thanks for the help. placed my order at the stealership this afternoon, along with a bunch of other stuff ive been meaning to pick up.