Thread: dyno - selecting gear?

dyno - selecting gear?

I am going on the dyno tomorrow

Do I put it in drive and floor it? Do I manually select a gear, like 3rd and then go slowly till third and floor it?

What's the procedure?

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

Paul
    im pretty sure you will not be behind the wheel when they dyno it.....I could be wrong

no I will probably not

but I was curious to know what they will do

I'll keep you posted

Etienne

It very tricky to dyno an automatic. You want to dyno it in 3th gear. To this without trigger the tranny to kick-down to 2nd gear, you pretty much need to feel how much to depress the gas paddle not too fast (tranny kick-down) but not to slow that the engine is not running at WOT (wide open throttle) for max power. This method require a couple time practice before you can properly do it smoothly. Or you can just floor the engine from 1st gear, 2nd gear then when the engine shift to 3th gear, hit the dyno remote button to record only in 3th gear. Good luck.

what he did is selecting 3rd gear and then floor it.

he did 3 runs, flooring it at 4000, 3500 and 3000 RPM... in the 3 runs it did not downshift.

But the numbers are ugly. I got 137.9hp and 148.6lb/ft at the wheels, which is very poor, I tought I would get at least 150hp.

The engine did crazy heating, after second run it was at like 120 degrees. The guy thinks I might have a problem with my water pump (he saw that on some wolks, the sharft was worn and on high stress it spun less so heated)

Anyways, I'll keep those numbers for now and use them as my baseline. Pretty disapointing.

Etienne

Paul
    big mags will take about 10hp to!!,if you had them on at the time....

In my MB manual it shows the 280 with a similar HP to my 230k

But the numbers are ugly. I got 137.9hp and 148.6lb/ft at the wheels, which is very poor, I tought I would get at least 150hp.

The engine did crazy heating, after second run it was at like 120 degrees. The guy thinks I might have a problem with my water pump (he saw that on some wolks, the sharft was worn and on high stress it spun less so heated)
    That numbers seem to be a little low but if you dyno with your 18" wheel then it seem about right because bigger wheel will give you a lost of about 10 hp. This really does matter if you just wan to establish a base line for the pulley upgrade.

120 degrees engine temp or intake temp? 120 degrees intake temp after a couple dyno run is normal but 120 degrees engine temp is not normal at all. If your engine temp reach the high after a couple run, the pulley upgrade is going to make it worse unless you fix the heating problem due to major engine timing retard. SC/turbo engine hated heat.

it was on a dynapack, which is without rear wheels

And temperature was readed on the temp dial inside the car...

Etienne