Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painting my own interior dash trim kit

painting my own interior dash trim kit

Hey all,

has anyone tried doing this? Taking out the whole interior dash trim kit and painting it yourself? i plan on doing it...steps i will take 1. remove the whole trim kit 2. Sand it 3.primer 4.put interior vinyl paint...any suggestions? please let me know before i go about ruining my trim kit lol

THanks
    Carlo
    744 CULT!

NEW IDEA ALSO!!!!

What if i buy for example Louis Vuitton fabric and just take out the dash trim kit and like hupolster it with louis vuitton fabric???what you guys think"?
    744 CULT!

Originally posted by Superpnoy
    NEW IDEA ALSO!!!!

What if i buy for example Louis Vuitton fabric and just take out the dash trim kit and like hupolster it with louis vuitton fabric???what you guys think"?
    I dont think that would look right. The re-sale value of the would go down i think.

But whatever floats your boat. If you do decide to do it, Take some pics.

Originally posted by crsh2
    I dont think that would look right. The re-sale value of the would go down i think.

But whatever floats your boat. If you do decide to do it, Take some pics.
    i think imma just paint it lol...i dont plan on reselling this car...
    744 CULT!

In Charge
    It really depends on the color and the finish product. Color really makes or breaks the interior. In my opinion, color is a hard thing to match with a MB interior. Typically, painted interiors look cheesy. Takes away from the classic look of the interior.

The quality also plays a huge role. If you were to paint the interior, definitely get the pieces clear coated. Makes it look so clean.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Paul
    I once did my interior with a vinyl paint...it looked ok in a ricerocket,but I could not do it to the benz...it would loose class,but if you did a full custom interior in leather....
    well if you do it make sure you post us all some pics

hmmmm maybe i can find a used trim kit at a junk yard or ebay and try it out first...so atleast i still have my oem just in case...i will take pictures when i get it done
    744 CULT!

I think it might look good with the louie. I have gucci on my headrests and i like the look.
    RoyalFlush202

Originally posted by SpEeDy230
    I think it might look good with the louie. I have gucci on my headrests and i like the look.
    you think? because im talking about my dash trim kit....silver gucci will match my car
    744 CULT!

do you guys know a good hook up on those fabrics
    95 C280 SPORT, canadian model.... LOTS OF GOODIES

please post pics after and if it was worth the work !

thanks
    98 c230

upgraded grille
    harman kardon traffic pro

if you have 2 tone interior on the seats/steering etc. i wonder how nice would silver trim look like instead of wood/carbon, remember personalize it the way you like it just make sure it's in good taste ;p
    \"F*** new model cars, we ridin\' ol\' school\" €

Originally posted by Paul
    I once did my interior with a vinyl paint...it looked ok in a ricerocket,but I could not do it to the benz...it would loose class,but if you did a full custom interior in leather....
    well if you do it make sure you post us all some pics
    it looked "ok" in me eh?
    2006 WRX Limited
    1998 C280

OG Moderator
    Ive decided to do red and black swede, red swede on the door panels and seat centres, black swede headliner. pics will follow when I get around to actually doing it!!

I dont know how well the dash painting would work.. but it may look ok if done right.. I know foliatech advertises the dash paint with an slk interior and the 2 tone red/black dash.
    I dont think they actually painted it mind u!.. but I guess it might look like that when done.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Paul
    Originally posted by ricerokets4life
    it looked "ok" in me eh?
    lol......oops

photo-genesis

You guys ever heard of photo-genesis?
    There is a process that they can do to your trim pieces that
    basically changes what you have now into whatever you want
    without using an overlay or adding any thickness to them.
    I,ve seen it, and i'm goin to get it done over the winter. You can
    change your wood into CF, brushed aluminum, marble, granite
    or different type of wood and you can pick any color you want
    of each. I'm getting blue granite to match my blue/black leather.
    They can even do exterior parts and under the hood. I want to
    see how much interest there is in the club and maybe get a
    discount.

any samples online?
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

the answer for changing dash color

It is called photo-genesis. I saw the samples in person and
    it's awesome. They can change your dash pieces into whatever
    you want them to be. CF, marble, granite, brushed aluminum or
    a variety of other woods. You get to choose any color you want
    to go along with the style. Exterior pieces and under the hood parts can also be done. I'm going to get this done over the
    winter. My dash pieces are going to be blue granite to go with
    my blue/black leather and I'm thinking of getting my engine cover
    done up in red CF. They can redo the door pillars too.
    How many people are looking for this? We can get a discount
    as a club.

Ive moved your reply back into this thread to keep things together.

I understand you saw it and it looks good but for members like myself that have never seen it a website or photos of the process would help us visualize what this company does. I knjow for myself I would be uneasy doing a group buy on something I have no clue of.

If you know they will be at sema let me know the company name or even better their booth and I will check them out and report back here.

Edit: Its a good thing I love search engines....

Hydrographics is the process is called.

Hydrographics (which is also called Immersion or Water Transcription is a process of applying decorative finishes to rigid and semi-rigid products including, but not limited to, plastic and metal substrates without wrinkles, air bubbles, or blemishes. The process requires three steps in most cases (treat plastic, base coat and hydrographics film coat), however, molded substrates made of Polystyrene and ABS may only involve two steps depending on the specific material.

For more information on this process check out daltekin.com

Looks pretty cool almost like decal transfers for models... im sure its more than that but hey maybe ill get mr.buff fingers to do this!
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

i would be interested in this...depending on the $$$$...i wouldnt mind having my own unique interior:banana:

here it is at last

Check out this site, club202 members get 20% off. Call Kimberly.

www.driving-image.com

Re: here it is at last

Originally posted by tinter101
    Check out this site, club202 members get 20% off. Call Kimberly.

www.driving-image.com
    SWEET!!!!! thanks bud
    744 CULT!

Whatever happened to this? I know this is like a 4 year old thread but I wonder what happened. Has anyone had this done, cause I would be really inerested in it. Thanks!
    2000 C23K Sport / Custom Magnaflow Exhaust / H7 6000k HIDs / Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors / Real CF B Pillars & CF Spoiler / Smoked LED Tails / H&R / Bilstein / V1 Radar/Laser Detector

I had it done and turned out great. I did blue carbon fiber
    (simulated). It looks just like the factory CF trim but any color you want. You have to remove all the trim from your car and send it to them and trust them, that's why everybody didn't do it. For me it's local and I just drove over there and saw the shop. They did an awesome job, I highly recommend them. Later,Tinter.
    1998 C43 White w/blue & black leather, xenons and more.
    MODS: 18\" SSR GT3\'s 8\'s front/ 9\'s rear. Custom cross-drilled AMG rotors
    w/red calipers. H&R sport springs and Koni yellows, avantgarde grill, custom blue CF interior trim, Llumar
    35% Tint. Clear corners, 2) K&N
    filters. Blaup/Chicago
    7\" monitor DVD w/ 5:1 surround, Pioneer center channel, JL Audio W7 8\" sub w/Memphis 500W amp,
    illum. door sills and alum. AMG pedals.
    MODS coming: It might be for sale.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for the whole set?