Thread: How hard is getting instrument cluster exchanged...

How hard is getting instrument cluster exchanged...

Hello...

I am getting sport package instrument cluster soon...

And I am wondering how hard changing the instrument cluster would be if I do it myself...

If it seems to tough...I am gonna take it to nearby car shop....but I think most of you guys in the forum DIY....

I looked up in the Haynes manual and it also tells you to disconnect the battery....

What would be the most efficient way to remove the cluster???

Re: How hard is getting instrument cluster exchanged...

Originally posted by w202mod

What would be the most efficient way to remove the cluster???

Read my sig.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Thanks....for the reply

I guess you really don't have to remove steering wheel to remove instrument cluster huh!!!

thanks for the reply and I will search first next time...

easiest way is to remove the tweeter speaker covers. Unscrew the tweeters. Remove the air duct.
    Your hand will fit into the hole and just push out the cluster. No need to remove the steering wheel.

Nokia,

When I placed the cluster back, my SRS lights takes about 4 minutes before it turns off. It wasn't like this before I removed the cluster. WHat causes this.

StarDiag or any good diag system can reset the SRS fault code.

You guys need optional telescopic steering. Makes removing the cluster a beeze. Just took it out today to replace a bulb.

Originally posted by Tom Q
    easiest way is to remove the tweeter speaker covers. Unscrew the tweeters. Remove the air duct.
    Your hand will fit into the hole and just push out the cluster. No need to remove the steering wheel.

Nokia,

When I placed the cluster back, my SRS lights takes about 4 minutes before it turns off. It wasn't like this before I removed the cluster. WHat causes this.

OG Moderator
    did you happen to have your steering wheel and airbag remove and you switched on your ignition, or have your cluster removed and switch on your ignition?
    it could just be a weird coincidence that your srs light takes longer to go off. it may be a seat belt buckle.. check for codes.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

none of the above. I have telescopic steering wheels and I didn't turn the ignition on while I working on the cluster. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner yet so I can't check the codes. Is there a temporary remedy to this like cleaning the belt buckle or something?

OG Moderator
    not that I know of.. when there f'ed.. they are f'ed. try disconnecting the battery for 15mins.. see what happens, may reset and not come back.. or u may have to take it somewhere to have codes read.

Well.. u must be dreaming, cause when that SRS light comes on.. it stays on, on the older models once it was triggered to come on, it would stay on till the codes was read and erased.
    the best thing to do is take it to someone and have the code read.. Im guessing its a seat belt buckle..
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

I had the same thing happen to my car, I removed the cluster without the ignition on to have it serviced and when I put it back the SRS light was on and has been on ever since. I thought it might be something mechanical so I checked and cleaned the seat belt buckles and switch contacts and still no luck. Then I looked around and found some posts about having to disconnect the battery when you remove the cluster since just having the ignition off isn't enough? Anyone know for sure?

Once the SRS code is tripped it will never reset even if the problem is gone without star diag or something else to erase an SRS code. Once I erased mine it stayed off. Is will come on agian if the passenger on my car buckles thier seatbelt at the exact same time I'm starting the car. It's weird... Probally the belt buckle but not worth taking apart the whole seat for. I just tell then to wait one split sec before buckling the seat belt.

I tried to reset the SRS code with a Snap-on Mt2500 but for some reason it won't communicate with the SRS computer. I was thinking maybe because its a the car is a 94 and the software is 03 there might be some incompatibility issue but then I saw a post on here where someone needed to replace the SRS computer since it wouldn't allow itself to be reset?