Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom intake fabrication begins.. W202 M111

OG Moderator

Custom intake fabrication begins.. W202 M111

I have now got all the pieces I need to fabricate my custom intake, I will be replacing the stock airbox with a fully custom "cold air intake" with bypas valve and K&N cone filter. I will be using a piece of 4" diameter aluiminum intake tube to replace the stock airbox, and then go down to 3" intake tube to fabricate the rest of the intake down to behind the bumper where a cone filter will be now taking in air!

All the parts I will be using.. Im sure Ill add a couple more to this pile!!

My stock intake airbox.. (goin bye bye soon!!)
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

very very cool, let us know how the install goes, with more pics please, and if you could get dyno that would be even better, you rock
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

wicked...
    Im doin the exact same to my 23K except where goin to replace the SC intake and pressure side castings as well...will post pics too!!
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

OG Moderator
    so you eliminating the SC diverter valve??
    Im completley replacing my stock intake box but still retaining the SC diverter valve.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

you can put a Vortech bypass valve, the remove completly the electronic bypass valve.

that's what some did on their 230k engines.

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

I heard when you change it to a Vortech bypass valve. The car starts off sluggish? I was going to do that but when I heard this I changed my mine.

someone needs to get all the info straight on this topic and then let me know, then do it on my car, i'll cash for all the parts and take you out to lunch or dinner or whatever, it'll be fun, seriously...
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

I tried to reach many times James Wei with the Rieger SLK that made this mod.

He had a nice cone filter, a vortech bypass valve and for what I'Ve read, he did not have any problems with this setup.. But I'm unable to get a hold of him to ask more questions.

It was really neat, no box.. I would'Ve just used a CAI instead of the ram that he used.

very nice car, he even has a bigger intercooler..

Etienne

Hey that was there car I was talking about that had a problem with the vortech blow off valve. I called James Wei at his shop. They told me that had the problem with that blow off valve. The start was boggey sometimes. They told me they should of mounted it on the intercooler side or something like that....

Originally posted by jaysonvaldez
    Hey that was there car I was talking about that had a problem with the vortech blow off valve. I called James Wei at his shop. They told me that had the problem with that blow off valve. The start was boggey sometimes. They told me they should of mounted it on the intercooler side or something like that....
    If you can get more info on this, I'm drooling on his setup.

Etienne

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    so you eliminating the SC diverter valve??
    Im completley replacing my stock intake box but still retaining the SC diverter valve.
    Yip will still retain the SC bypass valve...
    I would like to keep the system the factory way,but improve flow.
    Im considering using a filter for the bypass and one for the SC,
    but will cross that road after i complete the SC intake an pressure side.

I see you will be using the triangular hole under the airbox for the intake to your gaurd??
    I was considering using that for the new path for intercooler piping because the run down and back to the throttle is so tight and twisted!!.....but that means i cant get my filter into the gaurd where it would be best to be!!....
    will post some pics next month

Originally posted by jaysonvaldez
    I may be totally wrong but does the SC bypass open when in cruise to bypass SC for economy???
    when you close the throttle body what gives to stop sudden boost....the SC bypass or the magnetic clutch??.

If you removed the SC bypass and replaced it with a BOV...
    what would happen at idle and at open road cruise when the super charger goes to bypass??(If it does go to bypass)

Also it looks like if you were to put on a BOV it would need to be as close as possible to the throttle body for less lag.

would be very good if these Q's could be answered,
    I dont want to have to customise my custom intake now
    thanks guys...

the supercharger on the 230k has a magnetic clutch... it'S not the BOV that makes this.

the bypass valve is when you release the gaz when the supercharger whines it eliminates fastly the compressed air before the supercharger has time to stop boosting.

That's my understanding.

and for the intake side for the bypass valve, that's what jaysonvaldez is referring to I think when he says "They told me they should of mounted it on the intercooler side or something like that". That means the BOV should be after the IC instead of before...

I'm not sure of everything I just wrote, but for now that's what I understand.

Etienne

Originally posted by MrSpace
    the supercharger on the 230k has a magnetic clutch... it'S not the BOV that makes this.

the bypass valve is when you release the gaz when the supercharger whines it eliminates fastly the compressed air before the supercharger has time to stop boosting.

That's my understanding.

and for the intake side for the bypass valve, that's what jaysonvaldez is referring to I think when he says "They told me they should of mounted it on the intercooler side or something like that". That means the BOV should be after the IC instead of before...

Etienne
    LOL now that has totally lost me!!

OG Moderator
    That's my understanding.
    Etienne
    Well from what I know.. the bypass valve located on the side of the airbox is closed under throttle to create boost (when the supercharger clutch is engaged of course), when you are coasting or take your foot off the gas.. the valve opens to relieve pressure and to redirect the boost that was in the system back into the intake/air box so it isnt actually lost.. but reused.

That's my understanding.

Etienne
    can somebody tell me how the SC Bypass system correctly works under factory condition and under cruise,acceleration,deceleration...

as far as i know it opens under idle and at cruise to bypass the SC and give economy,what i would like to know is of any other uses for it....ie does it open when the throttle body closes to vent
    built up boost....or does the magnetic clutch disengage and allow "slip" when the throttle closes.....
    Does somebody understand what i am saying??
    thanks everyone

thanks Slammed C...
    my comp took ages to send that last reply!!

so....does the magnetic clutch disengage under "cruise"
    to provide better economy and of couse the bypass would open to allow the engine to be kinda N/A while in cruise???

Im asking this because if this were the case with the bypass,
    a BOV would not be the correct system to use.

but i see they have used a BOV on the SLK....so it must work

but it does need to be alot closer to the engine intake to help lag problems.

you can connect the exhaust of the BOV into the aibox, or leave it free like in the SLK shown. They say it's very loud the "pssht" when exhaust is going into the engine compartment (out of the system).

What I read is that the magnetic clutch disengages when you're cruising. The bypass valve (the factory is an electronic one from VDO) lets the air surge out when the boost stops and the throttle body flap closes and the supercharger still has compressed air sent (between the supercharger and the intake).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

This would bean you can put the BOV right before the intake, about where you see the nitrous injectors on th blue SLK.

Etienne

by the way, that SLK had no more magnetic clutch, it was removed because he changed his pulley to a smaller one for more boost

Etienne

I think some one has to do it and keep us posted ......

post more pics up soon

I took my airbox off last nite and the SC is very loud when it engages!!!....and the factory IC is very hard to remove!!

If i was to replace my factory bypass with a BOV(not connected back into the intake)

- At idle(under 2000rpm)air would be sucked in via the BOV (unfiltered)because the SC clutch is disengaged(ie NO air will flow)....but if you were to replace the clutch with a fixed pully like the SLK,you would not have this problem

what im really after is that "if " I replace my bypass with a BOV...
    At "cruise" when the SC clutch disengages....the air HAS to come from the Bypass.....and if it was a BOV it would flow air,but not enough!!......

If im totally wrong feel free to burn me ...................

by the way, that SLK had no more magnetic clutch, it was removed because he changed his pulley to a smaller one for more boost

Etienne
    that may be why the BOV system works....

Paul..

Originally posted by 23K
    I took my airbox off last nite and the SC is very loud when it engages!!!....and the factory IC is very hard to remove!!

If i was to replace my factory bypass with a BOV(not connected back into the intake)

- At idle(under 2000rpm)air would be sucked in via the BOV (unfiltered)because the SC clutch is disengaged(ie NO air will flow)....but if you were to replace the clutch with a fixed pully like the SLK,you would not have this problem

what im really after is that "if " I replace my bypass with a BOV...
    At "cruise" when the SC clutch disengages....the air HAS to come from the Bypass.....and if it was a BOV it would flow air,but not enough!!......

If im totally wrong feel free to burn me ...................
    good question

this would mean the VDO electronic bypass valve that we have can flow air in both directions, right?

maybe someone can answer.. when cruising does the supercharger stops completly or just revs less (we could see it with the boost guage)

Etienne

yes!!...A boost gauge would give lots of info!...
    Slammed C??

Paul.