Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom intake fabrication begins.. W202 M111

OG Moderator
    Wow.. Im really interested in this BOV application and maybe doing htis mod to my car.. with of course the removal of the supercharger clutch.

What info could you get from the guy with the SLK MrSpace?? only what youve posted or more? did he say what kind of BOV he used, and how he avoided a constant check engine light with the stock diverter valve removed?

as for the question about boost and cruising.. from what ive noticed on my boost gauge, there is only boost created while the supercharger clutch is engaged.. otherwise it bleeds off and returns to 0.. so as you are cruising the engine is running normally aspirated, only when the kickdown switch is depressed does the supercharger engage.. or when the gas is pressed rapidly, then the clutch will engage and boost is created.

and also.. I dont think the diverter valve sucks in any air at all.. it just vents boost from the system.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    Wow.. Im really interested in this BOV application and maybe doing htis mod to my car.. with of course the removal of the supercharger clutch.

What info could you get from the guy with the SLK MrSpace?? only what youve posted or more? did he say what kind of BOV he used, and how he avoided a constant check engine light with the stock diverter valve removed?

as for the question about boost and cruising.. from what ive noticed on my boost gauge, there is only boost created while the supercharger clutch is engaged.. otherwise it bleeds off and returns to 0.. so as you are cruising the engine is running normally aspirated, only when the kickdown switch is depressed does the supercharger engage.. or when the gas is pressed rapidly, then the clutch will engage and boost is created.

and also.. I dont think the diverter valve sucks in any air at all.. it just vents boost from the system.
    kewl,so the boost drops of when cruising...therefore the bypass MUST open to allow the engine to breath like N/A.....this then MUST mean that if we were to directly replace the bypass with a BOV on our factory system...it would NOT work....unless we changed to a Fixed SC pully....

Does this sound correct??
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Originally posted by 23K
    kewl,so the boost drops of when cruising...therefore the bypass MUST open to allow the engine to breath like N/A.....this then MUST mean that if we were to directly replace the bypass with a BOV on our factory system...it would NOT work....unless we changed to a Fixed SC pully....

Does this sound correct??
    This is assuming that during "cruise" the clutch disengages...

but if the clutch did not disengage during cruise and the bypass opened then boost would be cycled back through the intake and this would be very unefficiant because of the heated air SC's produce and the fact the SC is still being belt driven when cruising...

SO..... .....this leads me to believe that when in "cruise",the SC clutch disengages and air is drawn from the bypass...

also at idle air is drawn from the bypass,because I tested it last night with my airbox removed...

so after all this...can we say,
    1.the bypass acts as a pressure relief when boost is on tap and throttle is closed.

2.when cruising air is drawn from the bypass because air cant be drawn from the SC because it is not being driven(the SC is ALMOST airtight when not driven)

This may now mean that air flows back and foward through the bypass depending on weather you are idleing,cruising,or if you are thrashing it

Does this mean you cannot replace the bypass with a BOV if you DONT have a fixed SC pully???

Because if you were cruizing with the BOV and you SC disegaged the engine would try to suck through the BOV.

man i got a headach.............

so the moral of the story "could" be...

If you have a fixed pully...you can have a BOV(with alittle less economy)

If you had a fixed pully and VDO bypass...you have poor economy

If you have just a BOV...you may run into problems at cruise and at idle...

someone let me know if this sounds kinda correct!!!...?

how come you reply and quote your own replies 23K??? I'm confused!

you are correct, I also checked the VDO bypass, and it's located after the filter, in order to get filtered air when taking air from outside to feed the engine when NA.

we would have to remove the supercharger clutch to put the BOV and leave the BOV exit open in the engine bay, because if you keep the clutch, getting air into the system by the bypass valve isn't enough, altough maybe yes.. I don't know how much air is sucked by the engine NA, probably a LOT less than when SCed.

soo, same size pulley, no clutch, BOV located near the throttle body instead of where we see it n the application. That's what I think would work.

and you can put a smaller pulley to gain boost. Altough I really don'T know what our engines can handle.. 15psi+ is a lot IMO

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

CKlasse
    dang it... take out the SC..and put a T25 under that hood!

Originally posted by MrSpace
    how come you reply and quote your own replies 23K??? I'm confused!

Etienne
    I kinda forgot to to write it all in one go....so i quoted it so the second part made more sense

same size pully,no clutch,BOV near throttle body.....I think so to.
    so I gues that sums it up Etienne

OG Moderator
    K.. I was talkin to a guy at work today.. he says that the diverter valve only releives pressure from the system.. it does not in any way suck air in..
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Really .....Can you ask him what happens at idle
    and at cruise when or "if" the SC is disengaged??

the other nite i pulled of my air box and rev'd the engine to 4000rpm....between 800 and 2000 rpm,the SC was disengaged and air was drawn from the bypass,when the SC engaged at 2000 the bypass STAYED open.

does this mean the bypass only closes under engine load??

and when cruising the bypass is open and that just circulates air from the SC back through the intake??

regards,
    Paul

the other nite i pulled of my air box and rev'd the engine to 4000rpm....between 800 and 2000 rpm,the SC was disengaged and air was drawn from the bypass,when the SC engaged at 2000 the bypass STAYED open.

does this mean the bypass only closes under engine load,
    and when cruising the bypass is open and that just circulates air from the SC back through the intake??

regards,
    Paul

Someone should tap a pressure sensor in their hoses.

If the VDO only let's air OUT, then the vortech bypass valve should work fine. The question is, the other tube from the air box, going to the SC, what happens when the SC is "off", is there a two way valve sending the air to the throttle body without going in the compressor?

Etienne

OG Moderator
    does this mean the bypass only closes under engine load,
    well at idle and cruising I would think that the diverter valve would be closed, the supercharger in disengaged so no boost is created, the valve in my mind would be closed.
    and when the supercharger is engaged the valve would still be closed, then when boost is created and used it is closed, when you take your foot off the gas or slow down enough while cruising that the supercharger disengages it opens to releive the system of boost pressure but redirects it back into the intake system- in the air box.
    thats how I understand the system to work.

Im trying to find a function/discription list of the components on the M111 motor, so far Ive been unsuccessful. there is a new version of the WIS (work information system) at work and I hate it.. the old version was a hundred times better, the new version is so hard to find things now.
    give me some time as I will still continue to look.

good morning guys...

im currently half way through building a new intake and pressure side of the SC right through to the throttlebody...

before i started this i tested the system "Off load" with out my filter box on....so i could see what happens

when the engine is not under significant load the bypass stays open,regardless of weather the SC is ingaged.

this means...only under acceleration does the bypass close.

this also PROVES that air is sucked in through the bypass at idle...because i put my hand over it and air was being sucked in.

PS I pulled my SC to bits to enlargen the intake on it....not a good idea,its very hard to pull apart,and way to easy to damage...so now im grinding it while it is still intact.....i might need another $2500 very soon ..............

Hey Slammed C hows the intake project goin??

OG Moderator
    Hey Slammed C hows the intake project goin??
    lol.. havent even started it yet!! Im hoping to start this week. will take some pics as I work on it.

23K: How did your little mod to the supercharger go??

LOL yea its getting hard to find time this close to xmas...
    I pulled out the entire system from airbox to throttle body...
    Iv made a custom SC inlet and outlet(50 hours at home an work) and the trust IC should be here this week so il just have to pipe it all up an T-in the bypass ....
    Will post pics when i find a host site,speaking of which...do you use car domain as a host site??

OG Moderator
    sounds interesting man!!.. cant wait to see the pics.
    Yep, I use my car domain site to post my pics from.

Hey heres some pics of progress so far....
    notice the very nice bell mouth on the HKS filter
    will post pics here when i work out how...

Regards,
    Paul

Intake pics

OG Moderator
    nice..

btw what is the other end mount to..?

Also the opening on this end seems to be smaller..

In my opinion it's useless to use bigger intake pipe if you have the other end have smaller opening..

it's like the funnel.. (the rate flow will be the smaller opening ) just my $0.02

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

Originally posted by 23K
    LOL yea its getting hard to find time this close to xmas...
    I pulled out the entire system from airbox to throttle body...
    please post the photo of the throttle body removed, if you will do this. I'm wondering how it's under the 4 (if I'm not wrong) torx screw that thight that body assembly.

...if possible.

thanks a lot

Originally posted by J Irwan
    nice..

btw what is the other end mount to..?

Also the opening on this end seems to be smaller..

In my opinion it's useless to use bigger intake pipe if you have the other end have smaller opening..

it's like the funnel.. (the rate flow will be the smaller opening ) just my $0.02

Regardz,
    ....It mounts directly to the SC....I know it looks restrictive,but it is actually alot bigger than the original!!...and the reason for using 3" piping from the SC is to make sure there is Zero restriction before air reaches the smaller end....try suck through a funnel with a 10mm outlet then try suck through a 10mm pipe a meter long...big difference....
    Ill try get picks of the original parts.
    Regards

Paul

will you put a bypass valve ad remove the SC clutch??

Etienne

Originally posted by MrSpace
    will you put a bypass valve ad remove the SC clutch??

Etienne
    Yes I will still use the VDO bypass but it will now be positioned inside the guard and vent through a small K&N filter....Thats next weeks plan

oh and yes i will still retain the SC clutch for economy purposes.
    Regards
    Paul

Originally posted by 1998K
    please post the photo of the throttle body removed, if you will do this. I'm wondering how it's under the 4 (if I'm not wrong) torx screw that thight that body assembly.

...if possible.

thanks a lot
    Il try get a pic but all that is under the four hex screws is the butterfly valve....
    its all very nicely machined