Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom intake fabrication begins.. W202 M111

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    lol.. let me think about that, ummmmmm NO!! I was so lucky to find my Kleemann kit.. its not going out of my site!!
    LOL...had too try ...
    There must be another kit out there somewhere,I will hunt around...
    thanks for the info on maximum pressure,I have read a few books on turbo/SC efficiancy and applications and agree it would not be wise to go higher than 11psi...
    Yes the trust kit is alittle expensive...but it would have cost me 600NZD for a crap IC with no piping/hose/clamps...
    it all depends on how strong your dollar is against the yen i guess...
    I must say buying a 99 toyota deisel was a good idea,it does
    660kms to a 38L tank,this gets me to the airport every day so dont have to take the benz...

the biggest problem i had with the SC inlet was how tight the room was...the engine mount is in the way,and if you have a right hand drive the steering box is also taking room...
    The way i got around this was to construct the flange out of
    5mm plastic sheet,drilled small holes at each corner of the intake part of the flange,then used hot glue to insert wire...
    Then i bent the wire into a frame that ressembled the shape of the intake...i fitted it continuosly while trying to get the perfect angle to miss the exhaust manifold...
    After this a took 2L icecream containers and used the thin plastic to cut and glue panels to my wire frame so that i had a complete replica of the new intake....
    when this was complete and it fitted,i pulled the plastic panels of and used them as templates to cut the alloy...
    Then i bent the alloy in very odd shapes and fitted the alloy to my wire frame carefully to get the correct shapes....this was VERY hard to get a perfect match...
    then after i had it all welded up i bought a small rotary grinder and made the intake and outlet smooth inside...
    this all took about 100 hours work...
    another problem i had was the bolts on the intake also make it very tight,so i will have to buy longer bolts and space them with stainless pipe so it will all fit...

what im really leading up to is that i think you may still need to take the car of the road to complete this task...
    I guess you maybe able to pull the car to bits and constuct a wire frame for inlet and outlet in one day,but it will be hard.

Lol it sounds alittle overwhelming i know,good to see end results though

Regards,
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

For the crank pulley: ASP

I got 25hp and 40lbs/ft of gain

check out http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/index...howtopic=14033

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

Originally posted by MrSpace
    For the crank pulley: ASP

I got 25hp and 40lbs/ft of gain

check out http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/index...howtopic=14033

Etienne
    Hey,
    what is your commen pump fuel grade??
    also do you know if mercedes degrade engine performance for different countries due to climate change etc...
    because i know honda does....
    Im curious because i had mine dyno'd on a very reliable rolling road by a tuning firm and it came out at 175 RWHP.
    I read your thread and see yours came out alot lower...

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    LOL...had too try
    Yeh I dont blame you!!

I see.. so u r right hand drive.. well thats no good for me.. but I may have some more room then.
    I may have to hold off my intake till I can get a day or 2 to pull my car apart. well this sucks.. thanks anyway man.

well we range from 87 up to 94 octane. I run 94 all the time.
    Im pretty sure mercedes detunes the cars for different countries.. but not based on climates.. its based on emissions regulations depending on country.
    most European cars in the same model will probably have more hp then one found in the states or canada.

Yeh Ive been doing a lil research on boost for my SC too.. I found out that 11psi is max for the Eaton SC on the M111 motor. You would have to swap out the SC for a different one (bigger) to make more boost.. but it would have to be custom as that Eaton charger is made specially for benz, so anything else wont just bolt up.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

well, you can always go with a centrifugal supercharger, like powerdyne or procharger or paxton.
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

Yeh I dont blame you!!

I see.. so u r right hand drive.. well thats no good for me.. but I may have some more room then.
    I may have to hold off my intake till I can get a day or 2 to pull my car apart. well this sucks.. thanks anyway man.

well we range from 87 up to 94 octane. I run 94 all the time.
    Im pretty sure mercedes detunes the cars for different countries.. but not based on climates.. its based on emissions regulations depending on country.
    most European cars in the same model will probably have more hp then one found in the states or canada.

Yeh Ive been doing a lil research on boost for my SC too.. I found out that 11psi is max for the Eaton SC on the M111 motor. You would have to swap out the SC for a different one (bigger) to make more boost.. but it would have to be custom as that Eaton charger is made specially for benz, so anything else wont just bolt up.
    Hey,yea im right hand drive...its a big downside,my exhaust manifold is also different to the left hand drive...the pipes meet each other at right angles...which is a big lose...
    Also supersprint dont make them for right hand drive because it is too tight!!...

It would be good to see if the intake casting is the same on your model...

Our pump fuel ranges from 91 - 96 - 98...and I cant help but buy 98,
    the lady owner before me said she put 91 in it and it made funny noises............Now thats scarey.hope she realised and didnt drive it hard...
    also every turbo jap import in this country wont handle enything less than 96...

I agree if you want to go any higher than you will need to upgrade your pressure supplier...so where sort of limited to about 250hp??...
    I would like to go turbo one day maybe...its just so much money and work to get a nice setup...but at least i could get rid of my nasty header....

hey did your kleeman kit come with a bigger alternator pully,smaller SC pully and bigger Crank pully??

Regards,
    Paul

our cars are rated 189 crank hp (US/Canada). The 1999-2000 C230k gets ~150 at the wheel and the newer one got ~155 at the wheel even if it still was 189 at crank according to MB.

Mine was dynoed on a dynapack dyno and that might be why it was so low. Our ESP doesn'T come completly off and I read somewhere that when you press the ESP button, i allows the wheels to spin at a different speed front vs rear but not right vs left.

That would explain why I got so low number son the dynapack. next spring I'm going on a normal dyno with the barrels.

Anyways, if you car is manual, also it's not the US/Can version so it has already more power from MB... that might explain the high output. Graham230k on this forum also got something like 276rwhp from his dyno run with a manual C230k from england.

Etienne

hey Etienne,
    yea, that all sounds most likely the case...
    I guess the manual transmission lose would be different too...
    also mine has traction control,and when its off.......its off
    cant wait to get mine back on the rollers to see if i loose or gain with this custom work...
    also i E-mailed Kleemann USA,it looks like they still advertise the w202 pully kit on the there official site...waiting to hear back.
    if it doesnt work out probley go ASP like you mentioned...

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    Hey,yea im right hand drive...its a big downside,my exhaust manifold is also different to the left hand drive...the pipes meet each other at right angles...which is a big lose...
    Also supersprint dont make them for right hand drive because it is too tight!!...
    It would be good to see if the intake casting is the same on your model...
    Our pump fuel ranges from 91 - 96 - 98...and I cant help but buy 98,
    the lady owner before me said she put 91 in it and it made funny noises............Now thats scarey.hope she realised and didnt drive it hard...
    also every turbo jap import in this country wont handle enything less than 96...
    I agree if you want to go any higher than you will need to upgrade your pressure supplier...so where sort of limited to about 250hp??...
    I would like to go turbo one day maybe...its just so much money and work to get a nice setup...but at least i could get rid of my nasty header....
    hey did your kleeman kit come with a bigger alternator pully,smaller SC pully and bigger Crank pully??

Regards,
    Paul
    WoW.. a funny noise huh?!!!! I hope she didnt do permanent damage.
    yeh the only way to get more power is to replace the SC with a larger one, or go turbo.. which is what Im thinkin of eventually doing too.. there is a company in the states that is developing a turbo system for the C-coupe 2.3L engine.. so it may be adaptable to our cars. they are saying 256hp at the rear wheels and 264ft lbs of torque.. theres the link, Turbo C-coupe
    when I pull my car apart I will have to see if I have more room and can have a slightly different set up than you did.
    For my Kleemann kit, it came with a new crank pulley-larger diameter, new alternator pulley- larger diameter, the SC pulley was not replaced, it does stay the same size. it also cam with a new belt, new colder spark plugs, MAS relocation kit, some new badging.

there will be a smaller lose of power through a manual transmission, our automatics have about a 20% lose if Im not mistaken.. the manual tranny is much less, maybe 10-15% loss.
    thats another thing Im goining o do at some point.. a manual transmission upgrade from a 2002 c-coupe, 6 spd on a M111 block, I dont see why it wouldnt fit.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

or get a euro W202 manual trans

there should start to be some in the euro junkyards...

Etienne

WoW.. a funny noise huh?!!!! I hope she didnt do permanent damage.
    yeh the only way to get more power is to replace the SC with a larger one, or go turbo.. which is what Im thinkin of eventually doing too.. there is a company in the states that is developing a turbo system for the C-coupe 2.3L engine.. so it may be adaptable to our cars. they are saying 256hp at the rear wheels and 264ft lbs of torque.. theres the link, Turbo C-coupe
    when I pull my car apart I will have to see if I have more room and can have a slightly different set up than you did.
    For my Kleemann kit, it came with a new crank pulley-larger diameter, new alternator pulley- larger diameter, the SC pulley was not replaced, it does stay the same size. it also cam with a new belt, new colder spark plugs, MAS relocation kit, some new badging.

there will be a smaller lose of power through a manual transmission, our automatics have about a 20% lose if Im not mistaken.. the manual tranny is much less, maybe 10-15% loss.
    thats another thing Im goining o do at some point.. a manual transmission upgrade from a 2002 c-coupe, 6 spd on a M111 block, I dont see why it wouldnt fit.
    Hey yea i hope she didnt do any damage!....if somthing goes wrong might just have to drop in the forged bits

nice turbo kit,very tight...makes me wanna change to turbo...
    I was wondering if i was to change to turbo and run 5psi wheather or not i would need ECU reprograming etc??

I think you may have alittle more room,but your header may take more room also...let us know how you get on....

11psi kleeman kit sounds the way to go....hope they still have some.

the 6-speed manual sounds good,i'd be really keen for that...have you looked at the cost??
    I guess you already knew this but - I dont recommend you install the W202 manual...it may be slightly more efficiant than the auto but you'll spend 5mins between changes LOL......its the worst box iv seen,
    hope they got it right with the 6-speed...

also the pics you have on you page have awsome clarity man nice work guess ill have to find a good camera...

Regards,
    Paul

Originally posted by MrSpace

there should start to be some in the euro junkyards...
    LOL......... I think thats where they should stay

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    Hey yea i hope she didnt do any damage!....if somthing goes wrong might just have to drop in the forged bits.
    nice turbo kit,very tight...makes me wanna change to turbo...
    I was wondering if i was to change to turbo and run 5psi wheather or not i would need ECU reprograming etc??
    I think you may have alittle more room,but your header may take more room also...let us know how you get on....
    11psi kleeman kit sounds the way to go....hope they still have some.
    the 6-speed manual sounds good,i'd be really keen for that...have you looked at the cost??
    I guess you already knew this but - I dont recommend you install the W202 manual...it may be slightly more efficiant than the auto but you'll spend 5mins between changes LOL......its the worst box iv seen,
    hope they got it right with the 6-speed...
    also the pics you have on you page have awsome clarity man nice work guess ill have to find a good camera...

yeh I know I saw that turbo kit and wanted it too.. Ill have to wait and see if it adaptable to my car or not.. and see how much its gonna cost to do.
    the supercharger on my car is great dont get me wrong.. but theres just something about a turbo!!

If you were to change to turbo and run 5psi.. youd running the same PSI as stock.. you wouldnt need to modify ecu as it would be the same as stock.. although I would have it chipped to get the most out of it.

i will for sure let everyone know how I come along with my intake design.

good luck if you can find the Kleemann kit, but if you can find one buy it. you wont be disappointed!! the best one in my mind.

Yeh I know about the 5 spd on the W202 c-class!!.. its awfull. thats why Im opting for the 6spd from the c-coupe.. although not that much better its still a lot nicer. the best one by far is the new 6spd from the M271 engine (w203 C230 kompressor) really nice manual box, a dream to navigate through the gears, but I dont think the bolts for the tranny are the same on the M111 block.

thanks man.. yeh it was my dads camera, I inherited it after he died. one of my dads hobbies was photography, so he had great camera equiptment, its a great camera with interchangeable lenses.
    its a Mamiya, japanese camera I think. takes great pictures.

Hey man,
    Yea i assumed there wouldnt be to much trouble with the ECU if i change to turbo.....its all sounding more and more convincing every day ....

Just got a reply from Kleemann USA and they said they have discontinued the kit in USA only...but head office in denmark still has them...

Im very keen on the 6 - speed....i dont think id be able to find one at the reckers....
    Have you looked at the price for a new one??...i guess it'l cost a heap!...

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    Yeh I know.. If this kit comes out I may just have to get one.. I think a turbo car would be more fun!!
    Ill keep you posted on if that company (AutoWerks) does mass produce it.

Im guessing you have emailed the office in Denmark already!! if not...HURRY UP!!! you will not be dissapointed with the Klemmann kit.

Yeh Im really wanting that 6spd from the 2002 C-coupe... just gotta find a Wreck with the tranny still in tact!! I dont know if I will be able to find one from a wreckers, but I will try for sure.. as for brand new I havent looked into it but Im guessing about $2500-3000 canadian for the trans.

Yeh turbo's more fun for sure......
    so much easier to raise boost as you modify ecu/fuel/internals etc
    Yip i mailed kleemann straight away....Ill see how much the kleemann kit will cost and compare weather i save and go turbo instead....
    Its alittle late for me to be deciding...since iv spent so much time on the SC inlet and outlet...lol...
    Ill check reckers too....never know what might turn up....

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    Yeh its a great thing.. the wreckers!!.. just so hard to find anything for benz's.

any word from Kleemann in Denmark??
    yeh.. lol, its a bit late now.. after spending all that time making those inlet and outlets for your SC and spending all that money on the intercooler kit!!, You'd probably be better off if you stuck with the SC for a bit!!
    anymore pics of progress yet??

On tuesday Im gonna do some work on my intake...FINALLY!!... its shop night so I can work on my car!! gonna pull the intake system out and pull out my SC inlet to make some templates and take some measurements. then its off to the metal supplier to get some sheet Aluminium!

Hey yeh no word from Kleemann yet.......
    I think i will stick with the SC for a while till i need more HP's...

Progress is good,iv just finished fitting the IC + lugs and piping, and mounting the bypass....
    have been soo busy,havent had time to post more pics...
    Iv still got to get longer bolts for the intake and a small K&N filter for the bypass along with a new oil separator system...
    I had to clean all the silicon out of the SC....because i used it as a barrier when i enlargened the intake....but still bits of alloy found there way in......so i carefully washed it all out....
    if it does damage there will be lose of boost and MB charge $2000 for a new SC......hope i dont go there....
    I really want this done before xmas so i can cruise the beaches!!....its a long shot though..

goodluck with the intake man...
    I will post some pics up close of my intake....
    I recommend you make a plastic flange and insert wire into it....its a very easy way to see if it will all fit, and easy to adjust to fit perfect.....if i havent thrown it out ill post a pic of it too

also when you pull out the SC you must pull it out with the intake attached.....if you get it on the right angle you should be able to lift up the radiator hose and it should slide out with alittle pressure....but its VERY tricky
    put a thin clothe down under where the filter box was and over the side of the chassis to avoid scraping all your paint...
    hope that helps alittle.

Regards,
    Paul

Hey hows the intake....did you get the SC off??...

Posted a few more pics of the new setup etc...
    took it for a cruize last weekend....the bypass makes a unique
    noise....not like the usual 2L turbo BOV....
    and it only goes when you drive hard....so it doesnt drive me crazy when im cruzn...
    click me

there is definatly a difference in performance....mainly after 3000rpm....there is also alittle more lag down low but not much..
    cant wait to get her on the rollers....
    also i put my had over the intake and even at 2500rpm there is massive amounts of air flowing,imagine at 7500!!...so i hope the high flow intake helped...

Regards,
    Paul

WOW, ur intake looks awesome, i love the ic

Originally posted by crazy00c230k
    WOW, ur intake looks awesome, i love the ic
    Thanks man....
    are you think'n of doin one too??...
    Ill soon find out if it was all worth it when i get on the rollers...

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    Hey hows the intake....did you get the SC off??...
    no... I had to do some work on my brothers van.. so by the time I was done, I didnt have enough time to mess around with removing my SC.
    Ill have to wait till next shop night now.

damn man.. that looks tight.. I like how everything goes together.. im not a fan off the cut out in your bumper for the intercooler though!!
    but that whole set up looks so nice.
    I cant wait to get mine done!!.. I hope it all pays off in the end.
    Im just going to do the intake for now.. I will have to look into a new intercooler later on, but it will be replaced!

So what does it sound like?? wit the intake sucking noise and the bypass valve releasing air?
    does it sound good or no?

yeh im not a big fan of cutting the front bumper either!!!....but its only temperary till i can get a custom front made.....

As for sound.....Iv never been keen on the BOV noise....
    The bypass makes a very different Pssssh,and its not too loud....but only when you give it heaps.....so it doesnt go under average driving....which is how i like it,but many like it in every gear all day long.....ie 30mm turbos...

there is alittle downside.....the SC makes a whiney noise almost all the time......i never knew the SC stayed on under deceleration,or even when your coasting down a hill.......
    but when i build the cold airbox this should change things alittle,im goin to cut a duct under the headlight to feed it....
    lol another hole in the bumper!!

Over all i think the new system is great........Iv got alot of "WTF that benz has a Front mount"Looks from people......well i guess I havent seen many like this either

well...better ask me after i dyno it

Hey you have a boost gauge ay?...
    what RPM does your SC first reach 5-5.5psi..
    Iv got a gauge lying around im going to chuck on tonight....
    Im alittle worried my worn SC lobes might be affecting initial boost...

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    so what kinda bumper you gonna have made??.. what will it look like?

sweet.. I love BOV sounds.. I want a turbo car so I can have that pssssshhhhhfff sound!! gotta get a turbo 4wd car next. SC whine is great too.. I love it.. makes people turn there head when you have that whine goin!!
    so the intake really opens up the noise from the engine and SC then!.. nice.

I was wondering if you were going to be building a box to put your filter in.. you going to seal the top of the box to the hood or with a cover?

Im goin to run my cone filter all the way behind the front bumper through that opening just below the headlight.. I see that you ran your intercooler pipe down through there, is there any other space to run the IC pipe another way since I will be using that opening for my intake?

yep. I have an Autometer boost gauge.. I will check tonight when I go out again and let you know what rpm my SC kicks in at.
    if they were worn I think you would see loss of boost all the time and not just when first starting off.
    Ill post later tonight with RPM numbers for you.

Iv got a few ideas on bumpers.....one was too make one like the drawing iv just posted on my cardomain page...
    I can only dream about making it look like that!!....Here

I guess i will make the box seal against the bonnet....Il see what works out best....its goin to be alittle tight because of the IC piping though...

Yeh i would have liked to have had my filter down in the bumper....but i didnt want to run the IC piping the same way as factory.....its very tight....so i guess you will have to follow the factory piping if you use that opening for the intake......

Kewl yeh il check mine tonight too.....iv got an old HKS boost gauge my girlfriends sister stole out of some guys toyota starlet....LOL
    I guess your right about lose of boost of most of the rev range if it is damaged.....dyno will help clear this...

oh i just remembered you have a pully kit.......i guess boost will come on faster due to the initially higher SC RPM.....but let us know how you get on....

Regards,
    Paul