Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Custom intake fabrication begins.. W202 M111

Iv got a few ideas on bumpers.....one was too make one like the drawing iv just posted on my cardomain page...
    I can only dream about making it look like that!!....Here ...
    or maybe a bumper like the CLK-DTM...mmmmmmm would trade everything for that car..............

I guess i will make the box seal against the bonnet....Il see what works out best....its goin to be alittle tight because of the IC piping though...

Yeh i would have liked to have had my filter down in the bumper....but i didnt want to run the IC piping the same way as factory.....its very tight....so i guess you will have to follow the factory piping if you use that opening for the intake......

Kewl yeh il check mine tonight too.....iv got an old HKS boost gauge my girlfriends sister stole out of some guys toyota starlet....LOL
    I guess your right about lose of boost of most of the rev range if it is damaged.....dyno will help clear this...

oh i just remembered you have a pully kit.......i guess boost will come on faster due to the initially higher SC RPM.....but let us know how you get on....

Regards,
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

OG Moderator
    As for bumper ideas.. it looks like you could get something like a Rieger front bumper add-on.. just may fit with some minor modifications.
    I have a Rieger front bumper add-on.. have to put it on though!!.. in the better weather.
    but that drawing looks pretty cool.. W202 DTM?
    what about using a C32 front bumper and molding your W202 bumper with the W203 bumper.. maybe adding some SL65 front lower side vents??

I kept wondering why the hell you put the filter in the engine compartment!!.. but the best idea may be to have it seal to the hood.. but its gonna be a bitch to figure out clearances so it seats nicely against the hood. maybe a box with a plexi-glass lid to seal it off would be different?

Damn.. I didnt want to hear that!!.. what size pipe did you use for the IC pipe?
    Im gonna have to run it close to the stock location to get it to fit when I run my intake down behind the bumper. I hope I can figure something out.

Yeh thats right... KLEEMANN!!! lol
    well I dont know if it will come on faster.. ok, I was out tonight.. right off the line I hit 5psi at 3000ish rpms.. it was kinda hard to tell if that was it though.. cause my boost gauge is on my 'A' pillar, so its kinda hard looking there then down at my cluster!!
    Im not sure if its less than that or not though.. I hammered the gas off the line (traction control off) (lots of wheel spin too, wet and a little slushy on the roads) but when I hooked up kinda ok, I was hitting 5psi close to 3000rpms.. maybe slightly less. its frigin hard to tell!!!
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

PSG makes the DTM look bumper

http://www.power-tuning.fr/images/psg_merc1.jpg you can maybe modify it to fit your tastes.

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

Hey man thanks for the ideas with the front kit....i know a few good kit shops so i'l probly get them to make a custom bumper alittle more like the CLK DTM Road car....

If done right the perspex-glass looks good......so maybe i will go that way...
    also if you take the head light out you can reach in with a ruler and gauge clearances.......
    i noticed a big lose in performance after i put the front bumper back on stopping the cold air to the filter....it felt alot more slugish....so im goin to hack a vent under the light with my grinder today

thanks for the info.... i took mine for test last night too, with a boost gauge strapped to my window wiper(il get an A piller mount one day).....boost comes on very quick....I also found it very hard to see what rpm it came on...i found the best way to see was to cruise along in third at 1500rpm then floor it....but it was somewhere around 2-2.5K.....so i guess i didnt do to much damage to the SC lobes...

yeh it would have been great if MB had have made more room for aftermarket mods!!!
    the pipe that came with the kit is 55mm inside diameter...
    alittle bigger than factory.....
    it really hasnt made too much differance in lag...

Man Kleemann DK hasn't mailed me back.......do they speak english over there????

after doin alittle more research on our roots type SC,its got a low efficiency(high temp output/high power consumption) when compared to centrefugal and screw type blowers.....
    we would be alittle better of with the screw type.
    the upsides of the roots are the instant boost for big torque numbers down low and they are easy to match to a specific engine,and being the cheapest of the three
    guess thats why MB uses them....
    LOL i need turbo.........

Regards,
    Paul

Originally posted by MrSpace
    PSG makes the DTM look bumper

http://www.power-tuning.fr/images/psg_merc1.jpg you can maybe modify it to fit your tastes.

Etienne
    hey thanks....
    its alittle extreme....but i guess i could mod it with my grider
    would be great to have the DTM Flares!.....

you can also go with this

it's a little expensive but..

Etienne

Hey etienne,thanks...Thats alot closer to what im after....who makes this kit??.....

....just found it...LUMMA?...
    iv mailed them for a price......

Reagrds,
    Paul

yes LUMMA

and the new rieger also has a similar style but with more curves

Etienne

Yeh my crap moniter at home made it hard to read the number plate on that pic!!....
    hmm so rieger have a new Kit (for W203?).....guess il check that out too if i can find it...
    Thanks.

Regards,
    Paul

For W202, not W203

it's almost too round for our cars.

Etienne

I hunted everywhere for those pics....guess the were on the rieger site ,I agree....it is alittle too round,im very keen on the lumma front...
    it has enough room for the IC....
    Thyanks for the help man...

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    Well I finally got a chance to remove my SC and fab up the intake partially.. I ended up using cardboard.. turned out pretty nice. just gotta but some aluminium now.
    sorry no pics.. I dont have my digi cam right now, wont have it back for a couple weeks.

but at least finally Im on my way to making my intake!! I hope to have some aluminium by the latest next week.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

hey slammed C!,
    Been waiting to hear about you intake!!,
    I still havent got on the rollers yet...
    but iv been in contact with the owner of that turbo-C,looks like turbo is on the cards in the next few months...

was it a tight fit doin the intake replica???,do you find the bolts take up alot of intake room??

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    hey slammed C!,
    Been waiting to hear about you intake!!,
    I still havent got on the rollers yet...
    but iv been in contact with the owner of that turbo-C,looks like turbo is on the cards in the next few months...
    was it a tight fit doin the intake replica???,do you find the bolts take up alot of intake room??
    Man.. get on the rollers!! I want to see what kinda power ur making with the mods!
    sweet.. so ur gonna buy the kit from him? is it an easy install to the W202? I want to do turbo on my car too.. that kit just looks really nice.

As for the intake.. it wasnt that hard to do.. guess it took me about 30-40 mins to remove everything, then mocking up the intake to the back of the supercharger wasnt that difficult.. it was a somewhat tight fit in there.. but I removed the stock intake and boost side from the SC and put my cardboard cutout in there and then started taping pipe in!!
    it looks rough but I think it will work!!..
    I ended up scaning the piece I made with my scanner.. it actually came out.. so here it is....

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    Man.. get on the rollers!! I want to see what kinda power ur making with the mods!
    sweet.. so ur gonna buy the kit from him? is it an easy install to the W202? I want to do turbo on my car too.. that kit just looks really nice.

As for the intake.. it wasnt that hard to do.. guess it took me about 30-40 mins to remove everything, then mocking up the intake to the back of the supercharger wasnt that difficult.. it was a somewhat tight fit in there.. but I removed the stock intake and boost side from the SC and put my cardboard cutout in there and then started taping pipe in!!
    it looks rough but I think it will work!!..
    I ended up scaning the piece I made with my scanner.. it actually came out.. so here it is....
    I Know,next dyno day is 5th Feb!!....Iv got the box out of the car at the moment for a service...should be back in before then.
    im currently looking at buying that turbo from him....but am waiting on alittle more info.

OMG,you must have had WAY more room than me!!!Dam so lucky!!!was your engine mount in the way????,after looking up under the car mine misses the steering box buy 5mm...and the engine mount by even less!!

Regards,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    I Know,next dyno day is 5th Feb!!....Iv got the box out of the car at the moment for a service...should be back in before then.
    im currently looking at buying that turbo from him....but am waiting on alittle more info.
    OMG,you must have had WAY more room than me!!!Dam so lucky!!!was your engine mount in the way????,after looking up under the car mine misses the steering box buy 5mm...and the engine mount by even less!!
    cool.. I want to know how ur car does!
    really.. will it work with no problems on the W202? I know its meant for the W203 coupe.. but with the M111 engine.

its actually kinda a tight fit with what I have shown you.. the tube that I used for the part that goes on the SC inlet is 3" 45 degree bend aluminium pipe, didnt cut it all all.. just put it straight onto the flange I made from cardboard. Im pretty sure it fit!! wasnt really paying attention to how much room I had around it.. but I know I wasnt touching anything. it seems like what I have built so far will fit.. gotta get it made out of aluminium though and have it tig welded (by my buddy)
    everything seems like it will fit so I must have some more room than you did.
    the outlet of the supercharger I havent made yet.. but made a template of the mounting point on the SC so I can make a flange for it too. Im concetrating on the inlet side for now though!
    What thickness of aluminium did you use? was it 5mm for the base of the flange and 2mm for the rest of the flange?
    What you think to my attempt at making the inlet side for the SC?

It should work fine,as long as i dont exceed maximum airflow for the Fuel/ECU/sensors,this is looking to be around ~8 psi(with this turbo).....keeping in mind 8psi on this turbo is more like 11psi on the SC because of efficiency etc...and not driven by belt....which takes around 25HP of your crank at this pressure....although exhaust backpressure will take HP,it is not as much as the SC depending on turbo specs.
    stage 1(without ECU/sensor changes) gains of 25 - 40HP should be easy...not alot,but there is better potential.
    but im still gaining info.....

kewl sounds like its all goin well....
    the flange i used was 5mm,and the rest was 2mm....
    great attempt,I had to be alittle more accurate when constructing mine due to the very limited space....
    the hardest part will be cutting and bending the alloy to make a good fit.....it will make all the difference to the finished product...

will keep you posted on dyno results...

Regards,
    Paul

I am about to embark on a similar journey with my 2002 M111 Motor. Have a vacuum/pressure gauge, some fittings and some vacuum hose. Looking through component lists for Samco race hoses and parts from other kits (WRX, etc.) I am also planning on plaining the NTE value off the bottom of the head, port match the head.

I was very curious to read about the BOV, etc. I've read that recycling the air is most efficient. I am going to reread the thread (long) but what's a summary of what you all have accomplished so far?

Originally posted by nukblazi
    I am about to embark on a similar journey with my 2002 M111 Motor. Have a vacuum/pressure gauge, some fittings and some vacuum hose. Looking through component lists for Samco race hoses and parts from other kits (WRX, etc.) I am also planning on plaining the NTE value off the bottom of the head, port match the head.

I was very curious to read about the BOV, etc. I've read that recycling the air is most efficient. I am going to reread the thread (long) but what's a summary of what you all have accomplished so far?
    well,this is what iv been doin lately its just an intake and IC system.......but as far as accomplishment.....I guess i wont know until its dyno'd again.

Regards,
    Paul

Hey Paul I responded to the flywheel thread

Club 202 should make an area for 02 Coupe owners. PLEASE!

The turbo kit for the W203 is with teh Siemens injection system, our M111 has the BOSH

do you think it would be different?

He changed injectors on his car, right? could we use those same..

also he his pushing 300+hp, but with a manual tranny that he CAN modify, do you think our trans will handle this or you'll need a C43 trans?

Etienne

Speedwerx is some what ellusive. I've been trying to keep in touch with him though. He did a lot of modifications and the Siemens chip and fuel system is very different. I know not to what exact extent.

I think your best bet is to find out as much as you can about the Mosselman kit for the W202. If and how they modified the ECU, if and how they modified the fuel system.

He and I have the same transmission. In total, mine took 54,000 miles of ABUSE. Clutch drops, speed shifts, all the things I was told would break it, Autocross and track days, 25,000 of the miles were with a 6-puck sprung hub clutch disk, single mass flywheel and S4 pressure plate before I busted the (forgive the lack of the technical term) input shaft.

Do W202 M111 manuals have the same transmission as the 6-speed manual in the Sport Coupe?

FYI- I have had a hard time finding someone who is willing to work on the trans. Most people have said that by the time they'd be done, it be cheaper to just have a spare trans lying around.

no the manuals from europe are 5 speed...

I don't know how hard it would be to puta W202 with a manual from a W203...

Etienne

Originally posted by MrSpace
    no the manuals from europe are 5 speed...

I don't know how hard it would be to puta W202 with a manual from a W203...

Etienne
    I think that the trans would bolt up. The shift linkage, etc., could be a problem. I have been seeking out a w202 5-speed to test fit into my Sport Coupe.

Having to shift to 3rd during 0-60 blows. And when autocrossing, I wind out 2nd gear. So, in a straight, I end up shifting to third for a very short time (3-4 seconds), then back to 2nd for a turn in.