Thread: DIY brake work: stainless steel hoses, pads, disc, ...

DIY brake work: stainless steel hoses, pads, disc, ...

Since I really wanto to do this job by myself, I've already searched old post, but I still have some question:

CALIPER BOLT: it's suggested also in my Haynes Manual to utilize new bolt for the calper mounting (2 each bolt if I'm not wrong) and also for the caliper part that hold the pads (1 or 2 bolt). Is really necessary to purchase new bolt? Probably it's suggested, but do you really do it?
    Since I'll utilize aftermarket product (Brembo) may be the new caliper bolt will not be included in the kit.

STAINLESS STEEL HOSES: does someone have already utilized them? Is it really suggested? How difficoult is a DIY?

BRAKE SENSOR: can I utilize the old one or is better to purchase new one?

haynes manual suggestion: they suggest to utilize special grease in way of pads support and also special anti-corrosive product in way of hub (rear to brake disc). Do you suggest something?

I thank you all of you Guys.

FYI: I'utilize Brembo Max for the front brake disk. Rear disc/pads are still good.

Spring Master
    i have stainless lines. didnt install them. requires u to take calipar off. for that and brake flush afterwards

i never change my bolts. they work fine.

brembo kit shold include all parts

use old sensor if the light is not on.
    nope i didnt put any grease on it.

I haven't installed stainless steel lines in my car, but i have done a couple other cars. It mainly requires you to take off the rubber brake line and replace it with the new one. It's very simple, however you have to bleed your brakes afterward. Brake bleeding isn't very hard either, but it is a two person job.

I replaced my rotors and I did not replace my Caliper Bolt. I never have on my other cars either. I did put a couple drops of Thread-Lock to prevent it from loosening up over time.

Like tpliquid said about the brake sensor, as long as the light isn't on, you don't need to replace it.

Martin

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Originally posted by tpliquid
    i have stainless lines. didnt install them. requires u to take calipar off. for that and brake flush afterwards

i never change my bolts. they work fine.

brembo kit shold include all parts

use old sensor if the light is not on.
    nope i didnt put any grease on it.
    Dear tpliquid really thank you for your reply.

Please are you sure I have to take off the caliper to install the ss-lines? I don't think Please confirm me.

Brembo kit should include only the bolt for the disc itself (one per each disc I belive!?) but I don't think the other relevant to the caliper. In any case I'm planning to install the Brembo serie Max that are not good as the serie oro (too expansive)

About the sensor it's really intersting what you said me: the sensor will be out of order only if light will be on. Usefull info. May be I try if the contacts are good: with a little electric short connection? May I?

Ok also the grease is not necessary, I was wondering about possible squeek noise.

Have you utilized MB factory parts?

Hi
    Marco

Originally posted by BoominBenz
    I haven't installed stainless steel lines in my car, but i have done a couple other cars. It mainly requires you to take off the rubber brake line and replace it with the new one. It's very simple, however you have to bleed your brakes afterward. Brake bleeding isn't very hard either, but it is a two person job. I'm mainly warried of the 4 lines to well bleed: one at time after each ss-lines installed.

I replaced my rotors and I did not replace my Caliper Bolt. I never have on my other cars either. I did put a couple drops of Thread-Lock to prevent it from loosening up over time.

Like tpliquid said about the brake sensor, as long as the light isn't on, you don't need to replace it.

Martin
    Thanks also to you BoominBenz, OK it's mainly a matter of good bleeding (I'll ask my father to help me) I'll take the opportunity to change all the oil. May 1 liter will be enough?
    Bleeding the brake system will not include any special setting/resetting to ABS/ASR hydraulic/electronic system?

You suggest thread-lock, ok this is also usefull and may be I'll utilize. I've also a calibrated wrench and the torque value info from the Hayness Manual.
    So no new bolts are really requested. Dealer robbery is avoided.

As soon I can I'll perform the work.

Hi

Marco

Spring Master
    Originally posted by 1998K
    Dear tpliquid really thank you for your reply.

Please are you sure I have to take off the caliper to install the ss-lines? I don't think Please confirm me.

Brembo kit should include only the bolt for the disc itself (one per each disc I belive!?) but I don't think the other relevant to the caliper. In any case I'm planning to install the Brembo serie Max that are not good as the serie oro (too expansive)

About the sensor it's really intersting what you said me: the sensor will be out of order only if light will be on. Usefull info. May be I try if the contacts are good: with a little electric short connection? May I?

Ok also the grease is not necessary, I was wondering about possible squeek noise.

Have you utilized MB factory parts?

Hi
    Marco
    hi i use only MB parts on my car. yes you need to take the calipar off in order to disconect the brake line. because u need to twist the calipar to loosen the ilne. u get wat im saying?

Originally posted by tpliquid
    hi i use only MB parts on my car. yes you need to take the calipar off in order to disconect the brake line. because u need to twist the calipar to loosen the ilne. u get wat im saying?
    Thanks, Ok it's clear.

About MB parts, you are fully right but, as seen here and other forum it seems that a lot of guys have good experience with other performance products to increase breaking capability.

so this is the reason I'm tempted...

please do you know if also the non-factory brake pads are suitable to utilize the brake wear sensor?

Exclamation

Please where to find stainless steel brake lines, possibly here in Europe?

Thanks for your help
    it's urgent

Arrow

Please at least HELP ME do you know if all the factory brake hose pipes are the same for all the W202 model: from C180 to C280.

since mine is a particular version of C200 Kompressor (192CV)!

Please it's very urgent for me.

thanks a lot