Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: system makes my car RATTLE!

Originally posted by audiophile
    you could plug up the holes if you have an optima or some sealed maitnence free battery.
    please explain

any battery that can be mounted to on it side or that is sealed does not to be vented like an optima yellow top. the batteries that mercedes supplies with the car is a lead acid battery. you can check how low the fluid level is and top it off as needed. with the optima's the use a sealed design that doesn't use lead acid. some batteries use gel cell technology, these you can mount upside down and still work. you cant do that with a lead acid battery, acid would spill all over the place and corrode everything. all though these batteries are expensive, they usually last longer.
    hope this helps.

any battery that can be mounted to on it side or that is sealed does not to be vented like an optima yellow top. the batteries that mercedes supplies with the car is a lead acid battery. you can check how low the fluid level is and top it off as needed. with the optima's the use a sealed design that doesn't use lead acid. some batteries use gel cell technology, these you can mount upside down and still work. you cant do that with a lead acid battery, acid would spill all over the place and corrode everything. all though these batteries are expensive, they usually last longer.
    hope this helps.
    ok thanks a lot for your kind and detailed explanation but how this is related to the rear deck insulation? I was asking if the rear deck HOLES need to be covered by Dynamat (or similar), since the subwoofer is in the trunk.

thanks a lot for your reply

because the holes that are in the trunk need to be left alone if you have the regualr battery. i.e. vents
    if you cover those up, the battery cannot vent and could cause an explostion beacuse of the gases

because the holes that are in the trunk need to be left alone if you have the regualr battery. i.e. vents
    if you cover those up, the battery cannot vent and could cause an explostion beacuse of the gases
    Really

ok thanks again

...but, also having an Optima or similar battery, if you have a sub in the trunk, as suggested by pnsji, is right to left open those two holes. Don't you?

wondering: W202 with bass loudspeaker into the rear deck (so holes are closed) can't install, teoretically, an Optima battery

Hi and thanks again

...but, also having an Optima or similar battery, if you have a sub in the trunk, as suggested by pnsji, is right to left open those two holes. Don't you?
    no, you can cover up the holes if you have a sealed or optima. thats the only way you can cover the holes

thanks again

Hi

OG Moderator
    no, you can cover up the holes if you have a sealed or optima. thats the only way you can cover the holes
    Have you had this kind of setup? How can the bass go to the cabin?????

i have been debating cutting out the square of the emergency kit to kind of "port" the bass and my thought is 1. it may sound better, 2. reduce the air in the trunk therefore reducing the rattle a lil . i am allready matted everywhere but still get a tiny bit. anyone done this? i think brabus may have. results? thanx!
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

Originally posted by pnsji
    Have you had this kind of setup? How can the bass go to the cabin?????
    well , out of all the cars i've done, the mercs. have to be one the hardest to get bass beacuse of the insulation.
    i don't have the bose sys. so what i did is took the rear deck off and noticed that there are the patterns for the holes right next to the mid bass drivers.
    took a circle maker, drew the same size hole, as in the car. and cut it out. next i filed down th edges, put some dynamat all the way around.
    after that i got alot more output. i still noticed some port noise from the holes. so i got some flared ports, and cut as close to the end as possible, so that no length is intruding in the trunk.(by having any kind if port length in the trunk you modify the sound, you dont want to do that because you want the box to do all the work) and voila! smoother output and more of it.
    i still need to work on my 3rd brake ligh the base of it is all broken from the sub. any one have this problem too?

OG Moderator
    So after you cut second set of holes, did you cover the hole with Dynamat as well?? I am getting lost here.

no just the edges. so the air moves alittle more smoothly, but was geting some port noise so i got some flared ports and cut them, so when i put the ports in the holes the only thing there was the flare of the port.

)___________(
    |___________|
    ) (
    this is the hole with the port (side view)

i.e. two ports in total.
    one port for each hole. each side of the port has a flare

sorry for the poor illustration, i dont have a digi cam.

OG Moderator
    so I think we are at the same page. I just want to make sure 1998K understand that you don't want to cover the holes on the rear deck if you want to let the bass from the subwoofer box inside the trunk to go inside the cabin.

yup

Originally posted by pnsji
    so I think we are at the same page. I just want to make sure 1998K understand that you don't want to cover the holes on the rear deck if you want to let the bass from the subwoofer box inside the trunk to go inside the cabin.
    pnsji thanks a lot for your effort, in fact I understood that.

So no cover the holes if you need bass from the trunk to the cabin

thanks both in any case

Hi

also if ur car is rattling alot inside u mite want to check out the third brake light, i took me forever 2 figure out thats what was making all that freaking noise, but i just took of the back cover part of it, stuffed some foam in there and it fixed the problem