Thread: Can an Auto UPS give more torque?

Can an Auto UPS give more torque?

Does anyone have any opinions or knowledge about this product offered on ebay?

MERCEDES AMG VOLTAGE STABILIZER CLK SLK SL55 E55 C32 ML, Item number: 7937243454, offered by K2Motor.

(That particular auction may be over but he offeres the same thing all the time.)

It seems to be a UPS for the car to protect electronics and to send stable and consistent electrical signals to the engine computers that will utltimately increase the car's torque and responsiveness.

Or is this just another hoax like the tornado?

Thanks,
    Marc
    [SIZE=\"1\"]Silver/Black 2005 C55 AMG: fully loaded, evosport UDP\'s, AMS billet crank pulley, phenolic spacers, renntech cf airbox, green filters, elite engineering Z06 anondized catch can, sprintbooster, 030 SLK AMG rear calipers & rotors, SS braided brake lines, 18\" SLK AMG Turbines (summer), 18\" OZ Superleggera\'s (winter), sealth front/rear K40 radar detectors and laser jammers, MB iPod integration kit (mmclaw@optonline.net).[/SIZE]

OG Moderator
    It's complete, utter, unmitigated horses**t.

It is a very large capacitor. I guess it might make a difference if you have a huge stereo system that could pull more amps than the alternator and battery are capable of. Outside of that case, I doubt it would make any difference.

i have the one from sun automotive, I only saw littlebit more torque, but the high end seemes to be little worse than before, but my alternator charges 14.0V and before it was 13.6V. I would go with the ground wire kit first, and then if you want you can try this voltage stabilizer.
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

OG Moderator
    Did you actually dyno the car with the same tank of gas immediately before and after installing the kit? I'm curious as to how you determined there to be more torque on the bottom.

no, i didnt dyno it. it just feels like it has little more low end torque, but its subliminal. the headlights and the instrument cluster lights are brighet cuz of higher alternator output
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

OG Moderator
    A capacitor will not make your alternator voltage higher. It can't. The only thing it can do is smooth some of the transients in the system voltage, or slight spikes if you were to hook up to an oscilloscope. But then, the battery acts as a much bigger capacitor, so installing another one won't do diddly if your system is in good shape.

i agree benzfan, i've been thinking about taking it of my car and putting it on my dads e500.
    for the price of $200(i got ripped of) it does virtually nothing. the higher voltage output in my car is probably from all the extra ground wires i added. my final verdict- dont buy this crap.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

Thanks stok and benzfan -- you've confirmed my suspicions. It's another useless product. I didn't know exactly why this was, but benzfan's explantion that the battery is a larger capacitor than than the "voltage stabalizer", rendering the V.S. an utterly useless expense works for me.

One thing I did do was replace my OE battery ground wire with a much thicker 0 gauge ground wire. Old hot rodders told me that this was a good thing to do -- keeps the alternator from working overtime, reduces the engine's parasitic losses and keeps the battery at full charge.
    Marc
    [SIZE=\"1\"]Silver/Black 2005 C55 AMG: fully loaded, evosport UDP\'s, AMS billet crank pulley, phenolic spacers, renntech cf airbox, green filters, elite engineering Z06 anondized catch can, sprintbooster, 030 SLK AMG rear calipers & rotors, SS braided brake lines, 18\" SLK AMG Turbines (summer), 18\" OZ Superleggera\'s (winter), sealth front/rear K40 radar detectors and laser jammers, MB iPod integration kit (mmclaw@optonline.net).[/SIZE]