Thread: equalizers

equalizers

for all you guys with big stereo's, what kind of equalizers do you have? (if any that is) also, what would you recommend?

Three.1 hooked up to a computer. Its an EQ, 9vrms line driver, and master control. I dont suggest it for a rookie setup with only a HU and amp. Audio control makes very nice EQ tho.

neema: have u ever heard a system with the epicenter. its by audio control as well
    1999 C230 Kompressor Sport, 197
    The modding has started. Too many to list. Stay Tuned.

OG Moderator
    I will only use EQ when needed. Some good head unit will have great EQ already. EQ like audio control will most likely introduce noise. I actually saw alot of Audio Control EQ that makes terrible noise.

my hu has a built in 7 band eq good enough for me..

i must agree with pnsji. the epicenters do more harm than good. music now a days is so dynamic that an eq is not needed. (external) the eq's on the amps and hu are good enough. even in competition there are very few people using them. a good amp will not need an external xover. take a look at the jl audio amps. those xovers are among the best in the industry. my amps do all of that. the hu is defeated. (i.e. no xovers on the hu are used) eq's are ol' school.

Well if you have a SQ setup and properly install a EQ then I belive that it will not be a negative aspect of your system.

i agree there. what about capacitors. i hear varying info on these and the sizes compared to amp, etc. any info or comments on these??
    1999 C230 Kompressor Sport, 197
    The modding has started. Too many to list. Stay Tuned.

if you have any kind of amp, you need one. simple as that. the reinforce the voltage and current going to the amp when your amps needs the juice. you will hear the difference with the cap.

as far as the eq. goes that could really be damiging to a sq system. in electronics, espicially in car audio, you don't your signal going from here to there and making astop along the way, and then go back to where its supposed to be. that will cause noise, ground loops, and other things.

go look at the jl demo cars or any other respectable car audio manufac. demo cars, and one will see no other eq. or some kind of audio control device in order to make their car sound better.
    what the creates is disillusion in a way because if sit in a demo car and you see eq's and what not, i would not to buy the product. if they say that the product their selling is so good , why does it need help from another source to make sound good?

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by JDoggery
    i agree there. what about capacitors. i hear varying info on these and the sizes compared to amp, etc. any info or comments on these??
    for every 1000 watts, you need 1 farad capacitor.

personally.. i don't believe in cap.. i guess that just me.. if dimmage is severe look into getting a HO alternator.. Big 3 should also help..

JL have very nice products.. but honestly.. i think theres products out there will perform just the same if not better for less the money...

but brings me to a question.. would a c43 alternator (150 amp) fit into a c280 (115 amp)

I am glad I have sleek_benzo to agree with, I as well do not belive in caps. I belive in upgrading the BIG 3 and also the alt first.

Upgrading your Big 3 is by far the smartest and first thing you should do. It doesn't make any sense to spend all that extra money on your alternator if you don't have to YET. If you just need what the Big 3 offers, then it is a much more cost-effective and viable solution.

An alternator produces power based on the demands of the electrical demand - when the alternator detects a need - it produces more or its maximum.

however the response time is obviously not that great - as such - the headlights dim because the system for that quick milisecond when bass hits

A capacitor really in my mind is viewed as a way to 'fill' those short demands for a sudden burst when the alternator can't produce it immediately.

A capacitor 'seems' to work when installed in cars without any other upgrades - but believe me - its just hiding whats really happening: the alternator is really dieing - but you can't even tell because you have a cap hiding this.

2 batteries= more of a load on the alternator. If you don't have enough juice going to one battery, you still won't have enought to go to 2 batteries. Batteries only store power, they do not generate it. So you are better of upgrading your alternator first.

Also, as far as the show cars and EQs, don’t look at a show car and follow everything they do. Most of the time they do stupid stuff to attract attention and be unique, like putting large HD tvs and audiobahn subs. Those cars are not made for audio and SQ so therefore they do not need EQ and specific tuning devices, sometimes the 2 band control on a stock HU gets old, an EQ can bring out what the user wants in the stereo for his/her needs. Anything else?

I used to have an Alpine EQ, then it went bust and I decided not to replace it because the HU EQ is good enough for me.

Also, I have a 2 battery setup with a 4 farad cap. No problems so far. I didn't upgrade my alternator, but it's pretty much brand new.

Brabus - very nice system.. wondering if you have any dimmage..

is c36 alternator 150 amp??

The money you spent on extra batterys and caps could have gotten you a nice alt and some wiring for the BIG 3. Have you installed the BIG 3 yet?

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by sleek_benzo
    is c36 alternator 150 amp??
    It has 115 amps.