Thread: Can someone explain the role of all those hoses?

Can someone explain the role of all those hoses?

The part after the MAS isn't the same as on my car, but I think all the intake/radiator part is the same.

What is the use of that black plastic box on top of the engine with two holes? Same for the hole under the bypass valve and the hole on the flex tube under the black plastic thing...

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

Also me. Part after the mass and also the part that come into the butterfly valve is quite different (mine is a W202 C200Kompressor Italian engine model of C230, with same power).

As far as that plastic box is the oil vapour recirculation, there should be already here my request in an old post with relevant explenation by other member.

One tube came from the air filter box, another from the oil dipstick, one from the supercharger (why?) and one from the top of engine.

That area in my engine is a little dirt due to oil vapour, so I was asking if some kind of maintenance is necessary. It seems no.

Hey etienne,
    as 1998K has said,the 2-holed thing on top is your oil/air splitter.......the blow-by from the engine swirls around inside it...this effectively separates the oil mist from the air....
    it then drops down back to the sump via the dipstick....and the air passes through to your filter box...
    as for the tapping of the pressure side of the SC,i think its there to provide sufficiant airflow so that the oil doesnt build up and clog the system...

the hole under the black plastic thingy..."but on the fexi tube" from the way you described could be the harmonic dampener(aka empty plastic chamber) on the intake to the SC....

this engine is identical to ours except they have used the N/A modles intake manifold and a really ugly flexi tube lol

wish my engine was this clean!!....

Regards,
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

here is another 230K engine, but this one is very different than mine, maybe from the W203?

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

yip,thats the newer m111 engine....
    hey did you get these pics from the link i posted ages ago with all the DTM and other MB pics??
    notice the upgrade in the IC and piping from the previous engine.....

Regards,
    Paul

Originally posted by 23K

this engine is identical to ours except they have used the N/A modles intake manifold and a really ugly flexi tube lol

wish my engine was this clean!!....

Regards,
    Paul
    Dear Paul,

what do you mean with N/A modles? You intend the modification/up-dating of intake manifold?

Do you know if the picture posted refer to the new or to the old, being mine of '98, probably as your, the tube into to the butterfly come down vertically.

Probably is old, considering that ugly flexi tube you described.

But new W203 engine, a part the new tube lay-out and all the plastic covers, came with a bigger IC!
    But that engine, should be 1.8l and three level of power, don't it? abt 140, 163 and 190 HP here in Italy, I'm wondering if IC is the same for all.

Hi

Marco

Originally posted by 1998K
    Dear Paul,

what do you mean with N/A modles? You intend the modification/up-dating of intake manifold?

Do you know if the picture posted refer to the new or to the old, being mine of '98, probably as your, the tube into to the butterfly come down vertically.

Probably is old, considering that ugly flexi tube you described.

But new W203 engine, a part the new tube lay-out and all the plastic covers, came with a bigger IC!
    But that engine, should be 1.8l and three level of power, don't it? abt 140, 163 and 190 HP here in Italy, I'm wondering if IC is the same for all.

Hi

Marco
    hey marco,i think your correct man...
    i have never seen the older picture using the Naturally aspirated(N/A) modles intake manifold in any of the W202's,it may have only been used in some countries....

also your right about the engine comming in 1800...
    i thought they also made them in 2300 as well?????....

Regards
    Paul

OG Moderator
    If its the two holes on the top of the motor and goes into the intake Xover, its releives the persure from the head. Hondas they install a air/oil seperator to catch the oil coming from the pressure so clean air goes back into the head. I think Speedybenz have something like that on his car too.

Thats all i know about that.

Oh Etienne, i totally forgot about the tail light covers, i'll try to get them up ASAP.
    Got BRABUS?

Originally posted by 23K

also your right about the engine comming in 1800...
    i thought they also made them in 2300 as well?????....

Regards
    Paul
    actually here, kompressor engine for W203 sedan, wagon and sportcoupè are all 1800. And, if I'm not wrong 1800 with abt 190 Hp is available only for the sportcoupè. Torque is a bit less than old 2300 kompressor.

Really the 230K was a good engine.

That is a clear cheaper solution (same engine 3 different power/model) that Daimler Crysler has implement.

Hi

Marco

Originally posted by 714guy
    I think Speedybenz have something like that on his car too.
    Yes times ago he posted a photo in a dedicated tread, if I had well understood that device should work as an additional filter/separator to avoid oil vapour return in to the airbox filter and then into the butterfly. If I'm not wrong.

But the photo he posted were referred to his engine V8 and that is quite different respect our.

Hi

Mr space, where did you get these pix from? i'm curious about that intake on the first one. Isn't it off an older m111?

hey im fairly sure there from here
    http://www.gdtm.ru/MBimages/picturki.htm

Regards,
    Paul

thanks, that helps... but i still cant find out how or why they... never mind. i guess it's just a older non s/c 230 motor that someone has put a kompressor on?