Thread: "Lights out" indicator problem

"Lights out" indicator problem

My "lights out" indicator lamp keeps coming on inconsistently. I checked all external bulbs and all are fine. It resets itself when you turn off the ignition. It then comes on again after a few miles. I'm not exactly sure what else to check. Any ideas?

It could be a loose filament. You might have to pull out each bulb one by one and jiggle it and look if the filament is loose.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

could it also be that you are using a bulb or the wrong wattage?
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

I have the same problem. The light would come on, but by the time I stopped the car to get out and check the bulbs it turned off. Eventually I got it to stay on long enough to find out the parking light filiment on my front signal was not working. It fixed itself and has been fine for the last few days though. Loose filament makes perfect sense. Gives me an excuse to upgrade to LEDs, maybe city lights too.
    \'06 325i: Black Sapphire Metallic w/Terra Leather
    6spd Manual, Sport Package
    Black Grill, OEM Blackline Taillights, Black/White Roundels

Sold:
    \'97 C230: Brilliant Silver w/ Grey MB Tex: Reich Rocket
    Brabus, Vogtland, Bilstein, Bosch, JVC, MTX
    2006 Spring Bash, Lawton, OK: 1st Place Euro Street
    CarDomain Site
    \'88 420SEL: Smoke Silver w/ Red Leather: Big Pimpin\'
    AMG, eXcelon, Fosgate, MTX

OG Moderator
    Yeh Ive experienced this too.. its very frusterating when you get out to check all your lights and they are all working again!!
    but the only thing to really do is check them all one by one and see if there is a loose filament.
    the most common bulbs to go are the headlight bulbs and tail lamp or brake lamp bulbs.
    Ive also seen problems form loose bulbs in the holders making poor contact and causing the lamp to come on, then go off but no bulb to be out when checking the car.

happy hunting!
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Hmm interesting. Are the sensors really that sensitive? Will check this weekend.