Thread: speed ship

rollinrealbig

speed ship

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...15635026QQrdZ1

is that worth buying ? looks cheap, but i dont know ...

rollinrealbig
    oooops - i meant to put "speed chip", LoL

In Charge
    Never heard of them. Though with a naturally aspirated car, chipping does not seem to give alot of power.

If you do decide on this chip, then get your car dynoed before and after. Also, make them say in writing that you may return the chip if not satisfied.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

rollinrealbig
    well, they dont cost much,

and you can always put it back up on ebay ...

In Charge
    I'd still do at least before and after dynos. The car may become more responsive and such, but that could just be a programming feel of difference, not an actual performance gain.

One Member here, Speedybenz, had a Powerchip installed in his car. While, it was a little more responsive and such, he determined that there was no actual gain. He used a Palm system to measure gains. On the other hand, another Member JIrwan, had a Powerchip in his car and felt there was a performance difference.

Either way, I'd test the dyno before and after. Funny how your mind can convince you of a difference.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

rollinrealbig
    yea, i think ill give it a shot.

not much anyway .... like $30-40 .

I am also going to give it a try..
    \"There\'s a war out there, old friend, a world war. And it\'s not about who\'s got the most bullets, it\'s about who controls the information.\"

Cosmo - Sneakers

rollinrealbig
    cool!

damn thats cheap i thought chips go for about 200-400 bucks, but my question for the experts is will a cheap chip damage the engine in any way ?
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/abuimad

If Its 2 (Good) 2 Be True...Then..Its a 202

rollinrealbig
    doesnt look like it will ... say "reversible and wont cause damage"

Spring Master
    u get wat you pay for.

Originally posted by rollinrealbig
    doesnt look like it will ... say "reversible and wont cause damage"
    well hes trying to sell a product ofcourse he is gonna say that, but i say if ur sure it wont cause damage to the engine, get it, its cheap and if it dosent work not much harm is done
    and as tp said u get what u pay for, so i doubt ull b getting a lot
    Modified C230, Sprayed Silver Strips, Updated Grill, Tinted all round, Lowered Springs, 17inch Rimms, K&N performance Filter, Performance chip and AMG exhaust Kit, Hella bixenons with Osram Bulbs
    Just in: Pioneer sound system, 2 1000 Watt Subs, 2 Amps, and 1 Head Unit...luvin the BASS

rollinrealbig
    you do have a point.

usually buying HP upgrades will cost you about $10 per horse power, and that is a good deal, most of the time its more then that.

here is a website i first hit when i did a search on performance chip's, there chips go for about 300 bucks
    http://www.upsolute.com/

that "chip" on ebay is nothing more that just a resistor put in a fancy little box. dont buy it, its not worth the money and your time.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

rollinrealbig

Unhappy

Hmmm ... looks like just a small knob ...

just checked the upsolute site. i might get one since they almost have a branch in any state... what do u guys think? is this worth the money?

rollinrealbig
    its worth it if it actually does what it says.

Originally posted by rollinrealbig
    its worth it if it actually does what it says.
    If you're still referring to the eBay scam, it doesn't. They sell the exact same box for just about every car. These resistor boxes are one of the most common car scams next to the "Tornado" and the electric supercharger.

Custom chips tuned while the car is on the dyno is the best way to go IMNTBHO, but if you want to go for mail order tuning, the only options you should consider are real chips from companies like Upsolute or Powerchip.

If your parents paid for it, it ain\'t yours!
    My EP Benz - HoP Supercharged/MBenzNL on Board
    MySpace/Josh Keaton Music