Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to make Carbon Fiber for your benz!

I want to make Carbon Fiber for your benz!

I've been interested in CF/glass/kevlar for a year now, and stumbled over the 'CF hood' thread(s) on your site a few days ago. I just got some samples and am ready to put in an order to the manufacturer for some resin and CF. Now all i need is some ideas from you guys of what parts to make.

Airboxes? Spoilers? Interior trim? C-pillar vents? Valve covers? Engine trim? Trunk lids? Grill surrounds? Shifter-knobs? Fenders? What do you guys want made-it all depends on the level of interest/pre orders you can get going.

If there is enough interest, i'll make a prototype of the part. If you guys like the looks, and i get enough pre-orders to cover my butt financially, i'll make a run of the parts.

This will be a hobby for me, so i'm not going to be interested in making el-cheapo parts, on the other hand, if you guys decide you want a short run of CF airdams made, well, its gonna cost you.

Check out my page at Jack Glass Carbon fiber . Any requests can be submitted directly to me through the site, and i'm also setting up an e-mail list to keep people update. Go ahead and register because this will be the best way to keep current on what i'm making!

Moderators- Leave a link in this forum to get interest up, I'll move any and all correspondance about prices and such to the sales/group buy forum-after I have enough posts

cheers,
    Dan Rotigel
    Jack Glass Carbon fiber

In Charge
    Dan,

You know what I'm looking to find! I'll be in touch.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

is this guy reputable??

i would love an airbox carbon fiber... umm.. shift knob.. umm... engine cover..

let me think some more...

SleekBenzo-Good question! The proof will be in the pudding as I just started this whole deal about a month ago. My home forum is www.mercedesshop.com-you can do a search for me there if you'd like. Trust me though-this thing is too much of a hassle for a scam.

Dennis- Looks like you guys have a pretty active community here. Am getting numerous requests for a high-performance hood

Cheers,
    Dan Rotigel
    Jack Glass Carbon Fiber

link no show...

but as again.. i'm very interested in a carbon fiber engine cover to replace my stock one..

i still want the lettering and emblem on it.. more like an overlay or something..

and an airbox to replace my oem one..

that would be nice

www.mercedesshop.com should get you there. Copy and paste it if you need to. Take a picture of the engine cover you want done and send it to hlwf@iup.edu. include the part number if you can and i'll see what i come up with.

Cheers,

Dan Rotigel
    Jack Glass Carbon Fiber

whats up Dan,

welcome to the boards...

this sounds great!

im interested in CF trimming interior for my car, shift knob, and maybe the center box Cover (its like an armrest but its the center of the driver and passenger seat where you store stuff inside)...
    744 CULT!

quick question... where are you from anyways??

Superpnoy,

I'm making a count of who needs what-the group with the most demand gets their parts made! So if you want a interior package, convince as many others to tell me, or go ahead and organize a group buy.

Sleek-I'm based just east of Pittsburgh. It would be great if you guys could located a w202 member in the area for me to take a look at their car.

cheers,
    Dan Rotigel
    Jack Glass Carbon fiber

Calling all PA members!!! please pay mr rotigel a visit..

don't everyone want a "carbon fiber engine cover" instead of their stock black plain and simple..

In Charge
    Originally posted by sleek_benzo
    Calling all PA members!!! please pay mr rotigel a visit..
    Click me
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

<--- newbie

Dan, I'm located in Harrisburg, PA- how far am I from you? I could make a trip out there on a weekend to let everyone know what your place is like, plus I'm interested in a few carbon parts myself.

-sholly

Its about three hours I think-the area code is 15601. If we get some confirmed interest in the engine cover or other parts, it might be an option.

Sleek-you'd better let everybody know what type of engine you have if you want them to be interested-I don't think your engine cover would work for all engines.

Dan

I'm interested in the engine cover and air box for my C43. The chrome star on my front engine cover just disintegrated.

I don't want to spend $200 on a new AMG piece just for the cheap platic chrome star.

Anyone have a metal star that would fit? I'd use it until the C/F engine covers are ready.

Thanks
    Marc
    [SIZE=\"1\"]Silver/Black 2005 C55 AMG: fully loaded, evosport UDP\'s, AMS billet crank pulley, phenolic spacers, renntech cf airbox, green filters, elite engineering Z06 anondized catch can, sprintbooster, 030 SLK AMG rear calipers & rotors, SS braided brake lines, 18\" SLK AMG Turbines (summer), 18\" OZ Superleggera\'s (winter), sealth front/rear K40 radar detectors and laser jammers, MB iPod integration kit (mmclaw@optonline.net).[/SIZE]

Originally posted by Tump43
    I'm interested in the engine cover and air box for my C43. The chrome star on my front engine cover just disintegrated.

I don't want to spend $200 on a new AMG piece just for the cheap platic chrome star.

Anyone have a metal star that would fit? I'd use it until the C/F engine covers are ready.

Thanks
    i would be intrested in this as well, my star is also gone. Hoiw much and how long would this take? I know there is other members with c43,c55s that would problay want this
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

hi there i was thinking about a hood like this but the only differences would be that grove in the middle of this hood "euro r hood" i want the slk groves on this with those two side scoops so the engeine can cool down! can you do this and how much do you want for it!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WDVW

In Charge
    Originally posted by jnolte
    i would be intrested in this as well, my star is also gone. Hoiw much and how long would this take? I know there is other members with c43,c55s that would problay want this
    I do have a spare piece without the emblem that could be used to make the mold. I was lucky to find a new piece with emblem for really cheap!
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

The time factor is highly dependant on how long it would take to get a group buy together and how long it would take to get a cover to me so i can take a mold.

I won't know how much untill I know how many buyers have signed up and I have the part in my hands to calculate material/cost.

I cannot/will not reproduce copywritten symbols, i.e. stars! Of course, what you do with the part after it is in your hands is your own business...

Dennis-You have a engine cover for the c43, correct? Does it fit the c55? If there is a demand, lets get a group buy together.

Cheers,
    Dan Rotigel
    Jack Glass Carbon Fiber

oppps.... vehicle: 99 c280 sport

come on guys.. don't you want a carbon fiber cover!!!!

i'll take photos of it tonight.. damn.. i forgot to get part number also!!

In Charge
    Originally posted by Dan Rotigel

Dennis-You have a engine cover for the c43, correct? Does it fit the c55? If there is a demand, lets get a group buy together.
    To my understanding, the engine cover will fit the C43, CLK55, and E55 (W202, W208, W210 respectively). I think they also fit the 430 engines of the same cars.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

More than just the plastic cover, I'd be interested in the valve cover itself. From what I understand, it doesnt need to be a metallic piece, just a piece that can withstand engine heat. In addition, replacing the stock intake would definetly be a plus, maybe with something that mates up to the inlet in the front grille. These two things im definetly in the market for, a few other things like the bonnet/boot lid I would probably be in for too. Anything you make, I'll buy. (within reason)
    1997 Black C280 Sport
    AMG 15\" Alloys
    Blackout stock grille
    K&N Intake
    Remus Exhaust
    Brembo C/D rotors
    PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstien Sport Shocks
    Custom boot lip spoiler
    Custom molded eyelids

In Charge
    Originally posted by mayagman
    it doesnt need to be a metallic piece, just a piece that can withstand engine heat.
    You could also just cover the underside with some type of Thermowrap.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Hi all,

The survey is complete and the list of parts that will go into production by summer is on the new webpage. Always looking for new ideas though!

Dennis keeps teasing me about sending me a w202 hood-I'm looking at mid-summer for that project

Dan Rotigel
    Jack Glass Carbon Fiber
    http://www.people.iup.edu/hlwf/jackglass.html

Guys --

Let's get a group together. What I really want for the C43 is a CF hood and CF front fenders (these parts will work for any W202). That should even up the weight between front and back, vastly improving handling and we could even specify some flaring to accept wider front tires.

I see W202 fenders on eBay for $55.00 and I hope some one has an extra hood to lend to Dan Rotigel.

With the CF hood, however, I believe that I would want it to be built on an aluminum frame so we can still use our OE hinges, not worry about shattering the hood when closing it and not need hood pins. I am sure that if it the CF hood is a OE copy then we can simply install the OE hood pad.

Let me know!
    Marc
    [SIZE=\"1\"]Silver/Black 2005 C55 AMG: fully loaded, evosport UDP\'s, AMS billet crank pulley, phenolic spacers, renntech cf airbox, green filters, elite engineering Z06 anondized catch can, sprintbooster, 030 SLK AMG rear calipers & rotors, SS braided brake lines, 18\" SLK AMG Turbines (summer), 18\" OZ Superleggera\'s (winter), sealth front/rear K40 radar detectors and laser jammers, MB iPod integration kit (mmclaw@optonline.net).[/SIZE]