Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want to make Carbon Fiber for your benz!

Tump,

I'd be interested in making the fenders, but i'd have to have one in my hands before I give a quote for a group buy. Let me know if somebody has a spare fender they could send me so I could work up a quote-i can't wait to try out the 'group buy' section of the website

I have some ideas in mind for your hood. A aluminum frame really shouldn't be necessary, but small reinforcements might. If a CF hood "shatters", there was something seriously wrong with the design/materials, even though CF 'flexes' less than steel, it shouldn't just 'shatter'. That being said, I don't 'slam' my own steel hood.

cheers,
    dan rotigel
    jack glass carbon fiber

more intriguing than just OE fenders... good lord, get someone with widebody/rolled/flared fenders! Why pay a bajillion dollars for some pre-fabbed or custom widebody kit when we can source it within club202... in CF! If I snag this beater I'm looking at I can mothball my C for a few weeks and send you all the stock pieces you can handle.
    1997 Black C280 Sport
    AMG 15\" Alloys
    Blackout stock grille
    K&N Intake
    Remus Exhaust
    Brembo C/D rotors
    PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstien Sport Shocks
    Custom boot lip spoiler
    Custom molded eyelids

Originally posted by mayagman
    more intriguing than just OE fenders... good lord, get someone with widebody/rolled/flared fenders! Why pay a bajillion dollars for some pre-fabbed or custom widebody kit when we can source it within club202... in CF! If I snag this beater I'm looking at I can mothball my C for a few weeks and send you all the stock pieces you can handle.
    thats the spirit....give this man the member of the week award for such a sacrifice, for the greater good of the board
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

Mayagman-

Rockin! Some fenders would be excellent. If you guys want the rolled style, you'll have to send a pair to me that are exactly the shape you want-I won't be able to roll them once they are off the car.

Just priced out the airbox for the c43-its around 230 from the dealer. Anybody got a spare? I could give them a CF one at cost in exchange. Also, sleek_benzo, if you still are interested in that 280 cover, drop me a line here or from my webpage (see link in my sig).

cheers,
    dan

Dan, so since you're making full fab pieces rather than just an overlay?

Brabus,

Absolutely. Overlay has its place when a customer wants a 'look' on a part that cannot be made from CF (somebody wanted CF rollbars for his slk!), but my parts are not overlays.

cheers,

dan

Originally posted by Dan Rotigel
    Brabus,

Absolutely. Overlay has its place when a customer wants a 'look' on a part that cannot be made from CF (somebody wanted CF rollbars for his slk!), but my parts are not overlays.

cheers,

dan
    Dan,

Will you be using a vacuum/autoclave process for your parts? or will these be closer to a fiberglass wet layup process?
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Well I dont have the beater, but its almost getting warm enough to roll my aprilia out of storage. I can start doing one piece at a time (ie: hood, fender, whatever) pretty soon. I need to start considering the shipping arrangements too... the only problem I forsee is the trunk, I kind of want to avoid things that will leave my interior exposed to the outside air. Lots of harsh stuff from aircraft exhaust flying overhead.

Also, front-left fender panel has a small crease about 2" long diagonally over the fender hump. Easily work-aroundable. The fenders are bone stock, not rolled, or flared. The hood is the same. I have my stock bumpers and skirts due to an unfortunate accident involving a sinkhole.
    1997 Black C280 Sport
    AMG 15\" Alloys
    Blackout stock grille
    K&N Intake
    Remus Exhaust
    Brembo C/D rotors
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstien Sport Shocks
    Custom boot lip spoiler
    Custom molded eyelids

Carbon Fiber Mod

Interested in cf air box (top only), engine cover w/ AMG raised and if possible cf cross over tube with raised 3.6. Have a 1997 C36 AMG. Thought I'd just respond just in case other are interested in same parts.

Renn-

I'd friggen love to have an autoclave! For now im using vaccum with a post-cure in an oven on stressed parts. With the epoxies i'm using, this should get me close to what a clave would.

My dream setup is doing hoods with vaccum infusion-but we'll see what Jack Glass can afford after I get the current product list done.

Maya-Let me know when you can start sending parts-I'll work up quotes and start group buys on my page so i can start pressing fiber asap

Kauai- What is the engine designation for the C36? I'm working on a cover/airbox for the m113 c43, it might fit yours. give my aloha to pele-i miss her bad

cheers,
    dan

Kauai- What is the engine designation for the C36? I'm working on a cover/airbox for the m113 c43, it might fit yours.

cheers,
    dan
    Dan, the C36 (as well as earlier C280s) use the M104 Inline 6 engine, and a different airbox design from the m113s. That should be a different product altogether.

And thanks for the info on your mfg process. I'll venture that people will be seeing some very high-quality parts from you in the near future.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Renn-

I'd friggen love to have an autoclave! For now im using vaccum with a post-cure in an oven on stressed parts. With the epoxies i'm using, this should get me close to what a clave would.

My dream setup is doing hoods with vaccum infusion-but we'll see what Jack Glass can afford after I get the current product list done.
    I did not follow the thread, but we are also using this for our carbon fiber parts.

Altough for now no time to do automotive parts, we're doing a carbon fiber wheelchair.

It's great to have someone that is willing to make parts for the W202!

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

which resins are you using?

we are using miapoxy eposy resins and they rock!

Etienne

Cool Carbon Fiber Mod

Renn-

Kauai- What is the engine designation for the C36? I'm working on a cover/airbox for the m113 c43, it might fit yours. give my aloha to pele-i miss her bad

cheers,
    dan
    :bunny:

Engine is 104. Inline 6 - cylinder. U can find a good photo at: http://www.geocities.com/c36sportsed...drivetrain.htm
    This will give you an idea what the engine it looks like. The C43 is a V8, so it wouldn't work.

Aloha ....

Hey Dan,

You ever been to Steubenville Ohio?

Cheers
    Benzi

Cschilderink

Air box?

What is this air box that everyone keeps talking about?

me wants airbox cover whatever it's called, in CF for my '00 E55
    2007 FJ Cuiser
    2003 E55 AMG

Re: Air box?

Originally posted by Cschilderink
    What is this air box that everyone keeps talking about?
    It's the plastic box that contains your air filter and cleans the air before it gets to your engine.

search. think. do. post.

im interested in a cf air box for a C43 too.

Benzdude-

Yeah, I think i've been to stubenville once or twice actually, for a fair. Why?

Dr. AMG, KVNS- would either one of you be interested in trading the top cover of your old airbox for a CF one from me at cost? I'm in need of a plug to take a mold from, and don't want to pay MBZ for one.

cheers,
    dan

I could send you my airbox, I'm putting a cone air filter in it. but it's for C230k

Etienne

Benzdude-

Yeah, I think i've been to stubenville once or twice actually, for a fair. Why?

Dr. AMG, KVNS- would either one of you be interested in trading the top cover of your old airbox for a CF one from me at cost? I'm in need of a plug to take a mold from, and don't want to pay MBZ for one.

cheers,
    dan
    If "cost" means free, then why not. But won't I need it to properly run my car? I haven't taken it off so I have no idea how the hell it looks in there. My car will be at the bodyshop for a good week next week or so, so if you want, that would be then. I would however (until I check your references w/ mbshop.com) requiere a deposit from you, which would be refunded upon return receipt of my air box, just in case. Simple business transaction. I got screwed too many times to trust anyone Anyway, let's talk. Email me mikeone@ charter.net
    2007 FJ Cuiser
    2003 E55 AMG

Hey. Drop me a reply on this thread or an e-mail if you seriously want these parts to strike molds from. I dont care about deposits or anything. As I said, fenders, bumpers, hood are game, doors and trunk will require a little coaxing.

Edit:
    -Oh yeah, and miscellaneous interior parts/gizmos/engine pieces/etc are all game too. Anything I can take off in a day and have back a month later is fine.
    1997 Black C280 Sport
    AMG 15\" Alloys
    Blackout stock grille
    K&N Intake
    Remus Exhaust
    Brembo C/D rotors
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstien Sport Shocks
    Custom boot lip spoiler
    Custom molded eyelids

Dan,

Just wondering because that's where I went to school. I go back there to visit my family. I'm actually interested in a CF hood for a W202.
    Benzi

Maya-

Yes! I am very interested in a supply of C class parts, but don't think I'll be ready for them untill late July as I have already announced a product list up to that point. Can you wait untill then? If not, I imagine we can work something out so let me know. What model is your C?

Dr///Amg-

The car will run w/out the airbox, but you should not as air might get past the air filter or otherwise goof the engine controls. "At Cost" means the cost of materials, no labor costs or profit to me.

Mr. Space-

Drop me an e-mail at hlwf@iup.edu, i might be interested in your airbox.

kauaiC36AMG

I'll keep a look out for a m104 airbox.

cheers,
    dan Rotigel