Thread: Trans fluid viscosity

Trans fluid viscosity

I don't believe this has ever been discussed but and I am not mecanically inclined by far. When I first start my car (mind you that I am on the East coast) it is much more responsive and has way more torque than when it is warmed up. So the question is: Is the cold engine what makes it more responsive? If so I guess there is nothing I can do. Does anyone notice that when you first drive your car for the day and the trans fluid is at it's thickest, when you let your foot off the gas it actually pulls the car almost to a stop at low speeds (I have an auto). It also is way responsive at this time as well. I can play with the pedal and get tight response, almost similar to playing in a low gear with a manual trans. So I was wodering if anyone has thought of using a trans fluid with a thicker viscosity at higher temperatures or would I damage something?

Re: Trans fluid viscosity

Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
    I don't believe this has ever been discussed but and I am not mecanically inclined by far. When I first start my car (mind you that I am on the East coast) it is much more responsive and has way more torque than when it is warmed up. So the question is: Is the cold engine what makes it more responsive? If so I guess there is nothing I can do. Does anyone notice that when you first drive your car for the day and the trans fluid is at it's thickest, when you let your foot off the gas it actually pulls the car almost to a stop at low speeds (I have an auto). It also is way responsive at this time as well. I can play with the pedal and get tight response, almost similar to playing in a low gear with a manual trans. So I was wodering if anyone has thought of using a trans fluid with a thicker viscosity at higher temperatures or would I damage something?
    john, all of these things are totally normal for benzes. the reason your car works better when cold is because the coolant and air intake temps are cool and the ecu advances the timing until the engine warms up, then it retards it slightly to prevent detonation. the trans viscosity is more or less the same for all vehicles, only some ATF's are GL-4 certified(GL-4 is a medium viscosity gear oil certificate). if you want a good performance ATF, contact www.redlineoil.com and ask them which of their ATF's is suitable in your car. if you have a pre 96 benz, you can use their Synthetic AFT, if you car is post 96, then you will most likely be able to use their D4 ATF(which is GL-4 certified btw). this is what im running in my 740i, and I love it, the differenc in responce is quite noticable, and the tranny runs much more cooler=longer life, better performance.

nenad

ps try redline's motor oil as well, its tha shiet!
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

Damn nenad, you always hook it up!!! I'll check the ATF out. Do you know anything about cold air intakes (what's good, what's crap) and the best setup (cold air box)?

John

Originally posted by mr. gatsbury
    Damn nenad, you always hook it up!!! I'll check the ATF out. Do you know anything about cold air intakes (what's good, what's crap) and the best setup (cold air box)?

John
    yeah, I'm the shiet LOL. as for the cold air intake, its best to fab one yourself. this is what I recommend:
    go to www.jcwhitney.com and buy arospeed "blow-off valve" style air filter(the one with cotton gauze, not just SS mesh)($40). go to home depot or lowes or any plumbing supply store and get 3" plastic plumbing pipe.they usually sell 8feet long pieces. all you need is about 2feet, but I recommend buying the whole piece in case you mess up and need a new piece. now, remove your stock air box(both parts of it), then cut about 2feet long piece of pipe and place the filter on one side of it and place it in place of your stock airbox(the open end of pipe goes onto the MAS and the filter side will go between the radiator and the headlight assembly) and take measurements to get the exact length of the pipe you need(cut 3inches longer than you need so that your new intake wont slip off while you drive. dont worry for the 3 extra inches because the flex pipe behind the MAS will compensate for this). now that you have your measurements, go ahead and cut the pipe. then, if the pipe's ID is slighty smaller than the MAS, go ahead and bore the pipe until the MAS can go in tight, but doesnt slip out on its own. as for the filter fitting on the pipe, do the same thing until the filter's rubber coupling can slip inside the pipe. once its able to go in, apply a thin bead of krazy glue on the rubber coupling and slide it inside the pipe. wait for 20-30 min for it to fully cure. now, since the intake looks like crap, I highly recommend painting it with a high heat ceramic paint, it will improve the looks and will keep the heat from soaking into the intake, thus enhancing performance even more. the air filter side of the intake can be connected with a zip tie to the radiator support(you will see a small slit in the frame next to the two little bolts). this is the setup I had on my 95 C280 and it worked great, the throttle responce was amazing.
    here is the pic of my intake

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

that's hot, but I don't think my engine looks like that. I have a 98 280. 2.6 I believe...

In Charge
    Fab one up like 2Phast
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

i think it might work on yours too, just check the clearance around the hole between the radiator and the headlight assembly.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG