Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light weight rotors (-100 pound project)

Light weight rotors (-100 pound project)

I need new rotors. I was thinking, why not do a small upgrade and save some weight if that's possible...

Does anyone make ligher weight rotors (then stock) for our W202.

I would think that cross drilled rotors weigh less.

I'm not expecting to save much, but overall I'm trying to knock 100 pounds off the car, so every 1/2 pound helps.
    C280Sportster

In Charge

Re: Light weight rotors (-100 pound project)

Originally posted by C280Sportster
    I'm not expecting to save much, but overall I'm trying to knock 100 pounds off the car, so every 1/2 pound helps.
    Talk to Speedybenz (or do a Search). If I recall correctly, he shaved off around 200lbs.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Re: Re: Light weight rotors (-100 pound project)

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    Talk to Speedybenz (or do a Search). If I recall correctly, he shaved off around 200lbs.

I know! I'm not going that far, everytime I do something to my car I always try and upgrade.

I believe he changed the calipers to some light weight ones that where pretty expensive.

I guess I should have just asked if cross drilled rotors weigh less than stock?

And which ones are recommended?

Thanks

Ok speedybenz used:

Brakeman Calipers 31.0 lbs
    Brakeman Rotor 7.0 lbs

I googling it right now and seeing who sells them for MB
    C280Sportster

Re: Re: Re: Light weight rotors (-100 pound project)

Originally posted by C280Sportster

Ok speedybenz used:

Brakeman Calipers 31.0 lbs
    Brakeman Rotor 7.0 lbs

I googling it right now and seeing who sells them for MB
    You don't even have to google it...

The Brakeman, Mailing / Shipping Address:
    838 Calle Plano . Camarillo . California . 93012

Call:
    805-987-STOP (7867)

http://www.thebrakeman.com

Also, you'll find that material of construction can be a bigger factor in weight reduction than drills vs. no drills. Hold a stock rotor in one hand while holding an Aluminum rotor in another hand, and you'll see what I mean.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

OG Moderator
    one of the cheap upgrade to loose weight is buying a dry cell battery.

Originally posted by pnsji
    one of the cheap upgrade to loose weight is buying a dry cell battery.
    actually, it would be called, "not eating"
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Originally posted by Renn 208
    LOL...is that why i need new shocks & springs every 8k miles
    I can not lose, because even in defeat there is a valuable lesson learned so it evens it up for me

OG Moderator
    haha instant noodle yo

Originally posted by pnsji
    haha instant noodle yo
    Indomie? No, Indo you!

search. think. do. post.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Light weight rotors (-100 pound project)

You don't even have to google it...

The Brakeman, Mailing / Shipping Address:
    838 Calle Plano . Camarillo . California . 93012

Call:
    805-987-STOP (7867)

http://www.thebrakeman.com

Also, you'll find that material of construction can be a bigger factor in weight reduction than drills vs. no drills. Hold a stock rotor in one hand while holding an Aluminum rotor in another hand, and you'll see what I mean.
    Thanks!

What rotor would fit my car (1998 C280) ? I searched the site, it seems they only have kits for our cars. They also don't list the weights.

There is one chart with sizes: http://www.thebrakeman.com/hurricane_street_kits

So, if any one knows, what rotor will fit our W202s and how much does it weigh (or how much can I save)? Speedybenz saved 7 pounds, that exceeds what I was looking for, which was 5 pounds.

Thanks
    C280Sportster

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Light weight rotors (-100 pound project)

put down the keyboard and pick up the phone! I'm sure they'll be able to answer your questions. And if for some odd reason they have a tough time rembering, mention Jeff's name, and that should jog their memories.

search. think. do. post.

Spring Master

Re: Re: Light weight rotors (-100 pound project)

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    200 lbs off his C43 brakes. c43 brakes are like 100 lbs heavier than the stock c280 brakes

does anyone know how much jeff paid for his kit? I gave them a call and am waiting for a return...
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
    does anyone know how much jeff paid for his kit? I gave them a call and am waiting for a return...
    Well there's at least one person who would know what Jeff paid for his kit.

If you can guess who, you might want to send him an e-mail.

search. think. do. post.

I guess jeff is super busy or bad about checking or replying to email cause I have sent him a few emails that have never been answered, my pads are all worn so I guess its time to change all the stuff, I had an alignment done today and they said the rotors have to be changed when the pads are gone, I thought this was bogus but am not sure, either way jeff if you read this could you make derlin bushings rear end links and sways for me? Please? and I am interested in this break kit
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

interesting reading....
    removing your spare wheel will save you like 40+ pounds, just take one of those tire can things.
    same goes for the rear seats (40+ pounds) if you dont take passangers/or are after a reason not to take pasangers
    theres heaps of crap all over the car that is heavy and not really necessary, and alot of it cant even be seen anyway.

but i like the dry cell battery idea pnsji, i never even though of a dry cell, i thought about getting a smaller lighter battery bt didnt realise dry cell are that light "mental note next battery=drycell"

sorry i didnt put any usefull info about brakes in here for you, but you seem to have it covered

Spring Master
    Originally posted by c280nz
    interesting reading....
    removing your spare wheel will save you like 40+ pounds, just take one of those tire can things.
    same goes for the rear seats (40+ pounds) if you dont take passangers/or are after a reason not to take pasangers
    theres heaps of crap all over the car that is heavy and not really necessary, and alot of it cant even be seen anyway.

but i like the dry cell battery idea pnsji, i never even though of a dry cell, i thought about getting a smaller lighter battery bt didnt realise dry cell are that light "mental note next battery=drycell"

sorry i didnt put any usefull info about brakes in here for you, but you seem to have it covered

i do not believe the rear seats weigh 40 lbs. neither do i believe that a stock 15 inch wheel with tire weights 40 lbs

i weighed them when i took them out of my car.
    I did do quick conversions in my head to pounds, as im used to using kg. or my scales may be wrong but im pritty confident with my weights.

but i took all this out of my car and got these weights.

sub+amp= 20kg

back seats bottom part and back rest parts (so theres no seat in the back at all.
    it is leather and these too parts weighed very close to 20kg

the spare wheel + jack + boot floor lining thing = 20kg

the wheel alone may have not been 20 kg but the wheel alone it was at the least 15kgs 15" standard alloy 205 wide tire

But if your making a claim that im wrong tpliquid please state what your weight's were/ or the correct ones. or someone else, but im positive these were them ^

Their are much better and easier, not to mention cheaper mods that you can do to shave weight off that brakes. I would suggest not getting slotted or drilled brakes.

Spring Master
    just buy a faster car

Spring Master
    Originally posted by c280nz
    i weighed them when i took them out of my car.
    I did do quick conversions in my head to pounds, as im used to using kg. or my scales may be wrong but im pritty confident with my weights.

but i took all this out of my car and got these weights.

sub+amp= 20kg

back seats bottom part and back rest parts (so theres no seat in the back at all.
    it is leather and these too parts weighed very close to 20kg

the spare wheel + jack + boot floor lining thing = 20kg

the wheel alone may have not been 20 kg but the wheel alone it was at the least 15kgs 15" standard alloy 205 wide tire

But if your making a claim that im wrong tpliquid please state what your weight's were/ or the correct ones. or someone else, but im positive these were them ^
    yea ur right. i did weigh it its only 35 lbs. i guess my muscles are too big and it feels mor elike 20 lbs

Originally posted by neema12
    Their are much better and easier, not to mention cheaper mods that you can do to shave weight off that brakes. I would suggest not getting slotted or drilled brakes.
    I would not reccomend cross drilled rotors, for the fact that they have a higher chance of stress cracking. There is far less braking surface with them as well, compared to a slotted rotor.
    -Marshall

97 C230...stock...for now...Daily driver until something new comes...

1969 280 SE...being restored...
    1987 560 SEC...Driven occasionally
    1995 E300D...should be driven more...

I have done group buy kits for brake upgrades. If someone is interested in a light weight brake kit for their car I can put a group buy together that would use wilwood superlite 4 piston calipers and 2 piece light weight rotors.

preliminary data based on my quick search on w202 brakes.........

The New rotors are 12.81 rotors by 1 inch thick that weight 13.lbs or you can go with 22 mm thick for 10lbs. This is a 2 piece rotor with aluminum hat and an iron rotor suitable for daily road use. The hat stays the rotor gets replaced. The calipers are 4 1/2 lbs. Standard pricing for kits like this are around $1200 to $1400 minus the group buy discount (this is a rough estimate as I would have to see if amgs would benefit from this change and if all chasis would use the same upgrade kit.)

The stock rotor on a w202 is 11.18 diameter up to chasis 647650.

you'd prolly need 17's to do this but the brake improvement would be great, at least 33% improvement and the price is pretty good. I'll get more details if anyone is interested.

3 buyers = a group buy

Im new to benz so i would have to verify the math for brake improvement but I can tell you there would at least be a substantial weight reduction.

what is the price and is it for front only?? I got a hold of breakman and they needed jeff's last name cause they didn't have records that way I guess, but they have the sysrtem for the c280 for 2168 I believe... something along that price, seems to be good stuff they might be able to do a setup for the rear as well, but something about 4400 usd for complete breaks that eats me up.... I could get the lorinser kit rims, and ill door sills for that price, and even the cost to have my fenders massively rolled *sigh*

***C43***

Spring Master
    4000+ trade in ur c class can be down payment for a used C32 or a C43...

edit: with good brakes