Thread: Using clay bar....

Using clay bar....

At last winter is done with! Time to replenish my paint with same new fresh wax!

I was thinking of using a clay bar before waxing. Had anybody use this before? any good? any advice on using this thing?

Will rock chips make my paint look worst with clay bar...

I tried it once, my paint looked like sh1t afterwards. I had to cut it and triple wax it just to get it looking normal again. maybe I used it the wrong way. i dunno. hopefully there are some detailers on this site that can elaborate.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

OG Moderator
    to clay, you'll need the clay and lubricant.

1. Use dawn dish washing soap to wash your car, this will remove the grease and wax.

2. dry car like you would normally.

3. lube and clay. make sure not to drop it, use small portions so if you do drop it, throw that piece away and get another one. -- claying is relatively easy a whole car should take less then 20 minutes. use lots of lube and just glide the clay over it, it should be really easy.

4. wash car again with dawn to remove the residue from the clay and lube.

5. Wax car. if you have a porter cable then polish it then wax. put on several layers of wax for protection.
    Got BRABUS?

as 714 siad...lube is key, never use clay without lube, and never use a clay that's been dropped on the floor. And if "clay lube" isn't handy, that soapy dawn water or some meguiars quick detailer works just as well.

but you would get the same information just by reading the instructions on the clay

you can tell the difference when you run your finger across your paint before and after. Before, it will tend to feel rough, almost like sand paper. After clay (with lots of lube) it should feel like glass.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

Originally posted by Renn 208
    you would get the same information just by reading the instructions on the clay
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

ZAINO wax is the best for paint, makes car feel like glass also, adds a smooth soft feel to it, almost like a womens a$$

Originally posted by Renn 208
    meguiars quick detailer works just as well.
    thats what i use, comes out looking fine

Originally posted by nickc280
    ZAINO wax is the best for paint, makes car feel like glass also, adds a smooth soft feel to it, almost like a womens a$$
    I totally agree.....
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

Clay bar kicks ass. I do it about every 6 months give or take. I use Zaino for my clay bar, Meguiar's Quick Detailer for lube and NXT for wax (2 coats). Works like a charm.

I love the feeling of a fresh clayed car

So smoooooth.
    1998 C280 Sport - 91k (original tranny, can\'t wait) - \"Baby Benz\"
    2002 E320 - 30k - \"Big Momma\"
    1991 300E - 120k (what a solid car) - \"Land Yacht\" - SOLD

Would another normal car wash remove the residue too?

Talking about porter cable. When I first do the polishing part on my bonnet.. it causes so much scratch! Had been in my garage since last autumn and never really look at it.
    So, any tips on that or the proper way to do them...
    I followed the instruction on the website...
    Polish.. finish.. Polish with wax.. finish..

I did heard from somewhere, I can't remember where, that it does show scratch with the first polishing part but will dissappear with finishing part. But, isn't it logical for me to think that if i ever cause scratches and yet made them dissappear I will be removing some layer of clear coat...
    My concern is, wouldn't it take a few more times of machine buffing before I get rid of the clear coat and expose the paint.... What say you?

Thanks for all the replies! I do find people here more informative than "local experts"!!!

and really, put a towel or something on the floor where you clay

because you will probaqbly drop it, and if you drop it on the asphalt, you're screwed

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation