Thread: Bigger MAS

Bigger MAS

do you think it's possible to change completly the housing of the MAS for a bigger one and keep the same reader?

Of course the reader will read less airflow and send informaiton to give less gaz, but with an adjustable FPR I could boost the injection in order to have the right amount of gaz.

Anybody can tell me if it should work or I forgot something and this doesn't work as easy as that?

Thanks,

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

i think jeff put a c43 mas on his c280, way back when, not sure if the I6 and c43 mas would be able to work, anyone comment on that?
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

OG Moderator
    I think youre wasting your time with that.. it will not make a difference if the MAS tube is larger and the rest of the intake track is the same stock size.. the whole intake track tubing needs to be increased in size.
    and you could use the MAS of a different model (larger diameter tube) with your stock MAS reader.. but if you do notice.. some of the other model benz's have the same connector on the MAS.. so you can just swap the whole thing over and plug it in.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

i totally agree with slammed_c. It wont make any difference. if anything, it might even decrease responce due to possible turbulance in the intake since mas housing will be bigger than the rest of the intake. one way to improve the air flow and velocity through the intake would be to install a velocity stack or a performance throttle body spacer, but I dont think any one makes those for mercedes. your other solution would be to find an intake that incorporates a velocity stack, such as weaponR's secret weapon or akimoto racing's intakes. or even AEM's V2. but I dont think any of these make intakes for C230K, only weaponR has an inkake for the I6 C280.

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

In Charge
    A C43 MAS housing is 76mm in diameter (as per speedybenz), which may be larger than your stock. I would measure yours to see if there is a difference. If there is a difference, I do have a spare MAS laying around in my garage.

MAS Link
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

hey, I'm not dumb.. I totall y know that only swapping housing won't gain anything.

But ths sumemr I'm redoing everything from the cone filter to SC to IC (new unit) to MAS to TB (bored).

I am thinking of going as big as possible depending on the max size I can bore the throttle body, then work my way back to the cone filter.

Etienne
    I can resist everything except temptation

Please post your results after you install the bigger MAS.

From my experience......it won't work. You'll throw off your air fuel ratio.
    Hey.....if it was that easy....you would see all the tuners and shops pimp this mod.

Will work if you get your ECU reprogramed for the bigger MAS.

I know two people that tried this on Japanese cars......both cars experienced problems with the air/fuel ratio when measured with a y-band......could not be tuned in properly with fuel pressure regulators either. All came down to having ECU reprogramed......needless to say....was not worth it.

but give it a try.......just check your a/f ratio after to make sure eveything is cool.