Thread: My ugly, but very functional intake

My ugly, but very functional intake

The pipe is 3" in diameter and the filter is the same S&B cone filter used on aftermarket LS1 Corvette intakes.

The car is actually a good deal quicker, especially past 4k rpm. I am truly suprised with how much it gained. The engine sounds pretty cool too.

I had the filter and most of the pipe, so the total bill for the project was $10.42.

I am eventually going to paint it black and hand polish what I can of the engine.

-Brandon Drew-
    Founder: http://www.brewcitymuscle.com
    Where the fastest in Wisconsin come to play.

Is this a c280? Also, what type of gains do you think you got? Sorry if this sounds noobish, but where is the MAS? Thanks

are those pvc pipes?
    744 CULT!

ur check engine lights on right
    KingMotorCar - Where Reputation is Everything.

THis is not a c280 it is a C43!

The MAF is located at the top of the engine where the end of the intake is connected to, its not like the C280 or C36 maf.

is that pvc pipe? Hopefully it wont melt

you should get a shop to bend you up a custom alum part
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

It is a C43. No check engine light.

I've done plently of these "backyard intakes" out of PVC and none have melted.

This one worked out so well though I will eventually have it made out of 3" aluminum.

Thats pretty nice. I will have to give that a try, except I will route mine to the ram air ducts I installed at the fog light locations.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff

I had a pvc intake on my C280 for years, did not melt. you should paint it with a ceramic paint to keep the air charge a bit cooler. also, try routing it behind the bumper, then it will be a CAI. between the chassis and the wheelhousing there is an opening, run a rubber 60degree elbow thru it and there you go!

nenad
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

Originally posted by MoreTorque99
    This one worked out so well though I will eventually have it made out of 3" aluminum.
    I was always wondering about something ... As aluminum is a good electrical conductor, and thus a good thermal conductor (most, but not all, good electrical conductors are also good thermal conductors) isn't it "bad" to use aluminum for the intake piping, because the whole thing will get hot all around it and inside it, thus heat up the air more as the air flows through it, then if the intake was made of an inert, non-thermally conducting material...???

Originally posted by 98c43amg
    I was always wondering about something ... As aluminum is a good electrical conductor, and thus a good thermal conductor (most, but not all, good electrical conductors are also good thermal conductors) isn't it "bad" to use aluminum for the intake piping, because the whole thing will get hot all around it and inside it, thus heat up the air more as the air flows through it, then if the intake was made of an inert, non-thermally conducting material...???
    Makes sense to me.... but what other metal could be used?

I make just stick with the ceramic paint idea that was given above.

I cant wait to run the car down the 1/4 now... the car actually impresses me now.

I cant wait to run the car down the 1/4 now... the car actually impresses me now.
    Ceramic coat it or powder coat it and you'll be good to go.

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion

That's what I was thinking; unsubstantiated, but it makes sense to me. I don't think any metal will work as good as plastic/ceramics in heating the air less as it flows through it.

[after all, ceramics are good enough to keep the space shuttle going back up and down -- the tragic event where they were cracked off and not checked before re-entry not withstanding ... let's keep our fingers crossed for the upcoming trip]

I'm sure you'll let us know the results. Killer stuff!

do you think that gives you more hp over the amg designed intake box??? im sure if a simple intake arm gave it more hp, amg would have done that instead. also it makes the engine bay look nasty with the engine cover off...

btw, a 96 and up civic dx intake will work with the bend that is needed for the tb opening...

Originally posted by 99amgc43
    do you think that gives you more hp over the amg designed intake box??? im sure if a simple intake arm gave it more hp, amg would have done that instead. also it makes the engine bay look nasty with the engine cover off...

btw, a 96 and up civic dx intake will work with the bend that is needed for the tb opening...
    I am 110% positive it gives far more power. If automakers did things the very best way possible at the factory, there would be no aftermarket.

And as you said... the engine is not pretty. AMG probablly wanted to make something to sit on top and give it the finished look (as all euro cars do) while still provide some air.

how does it sound when u step on it? can u hear the intake or does it sound stock

you could make it a lot nicer with some 3" aluminum piping and maybe a silicone 90 degree elbow.. btw is that a 90 or 60 degree pvc elbow u are using for the tb opening

Originally posted by 99amgc43

Come on you guys should know that is not always true about factory stuff.The aftermarket intake on my M3 is way way better than the stock airfilter setup that BMW M power provides.

There are several improvements that can be done to the poorly designed intake setup that AMG has made for our cars.

Yes I believe the simple intake setup has given his car more hp because he eliminated the plastic cover which traps a whole hell of a lot of heat back there where the airmass is.I think that the heat definitely gets into the airbox.Sometimes the factory makes things more complicated than it needs to be.
    I personally think the setup on the F/I AMG's is a much better setup than ours.It has a y pipe setup sitting on the airmass,the air filters are actually placed in the cover but more so on the sides of the supercharger intake mani as opposed to sitting over the hot intake manifold setup, with the plastic pipes leaving the filters and then running to the grills for ram air.

If the AMG engineers were smart they would have some how designed a similar ram air setup to what GM has done for all there high performance V8's.Why put the stupid mass air sensor in the back of the manifold,over the hot exhaust mani's as opposed to GM having the opening to their intake manifold and airmass in the front of the car receiving cold air.

I think AMG's air intake cover for our N/A amg's sux! They also should have taken a clue from the BMW E39 M5 and built a much better intake manifold.Our cars would own the M5 if we had the same exact intake manifold setup with each piston having it's own individual inake butterfly and trumpet setup.Now that's engineering but I think GM did it simpler and best.

That's why GM's Corvette C4,C5,C6,Z05and Z06,Formula T/A,Camaro SS and Z28,Pontiac GTO,and Caddy CTS-V kick ass.Chk out there stck intake setups.

silver 1998 AMG c43 to C55 convert(293whp/307lbft TQ) ,1999 M3,1995 400 whp eagle Talon Tsi AWD,94 BMW 325i to M332i(M3)conversion