Thread: Howto write-up: Steering wheel removal

Howto write-up: Steering wheel removal and Instrument Cluster Removal

I've added a write-up to my website about how to remove the steering wheel. It is actually a prequel to removing the instrument cluster, so look for that soon.

EDIT: Instrument Cluster removal has been added. Find that here:
    http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/instrument.html

The actual write up is at http://202tech.mkosonen.com/howto/steering.html

The rest of my site along with other how-tos are at http://202tech.mkosonen.com

Look for more coming soon, especially since I'm out of school now with lots of free time (until I find a job).

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

thanks man, i love your site lots of good info

Thank yuo man for time and very good info!

Rene
    \'00 C280
    \'99 ML320

thanks Friend.

A "how to section" in this great forum should be usefull to file all this information

i agree...

Sean

Thanks as well. I have your link saved on my favorites since I will be doing all this soon.

While following this very helpful write-up in order to get my instrument cluster out (in order to clean it and adjust my fuel gauge) I ran into one huge snag.

The 2 screws holding the air-bag cover are deffinitely not T25 Torx heads. The T25 torx head was far too large for these holes. I used a flashlight and a mirror to look at them and best I can tell, they look like the screwdriver that turns them has a tip that's pentagonal and tiny. I tried every size below T25 Torx that I have and still didn't find anything that would fit. My car is a 1994, and I guess that's one difference between my older car and your newer one. Also, removal of that godforsaken knee-bruising panel didn't require so many screws/bolts to be removed on mine. It's not that the screws/bolts were missing, it's that they were never there.

If ANYONE has ANY idea what the hell turns these mysterious airbag-cover screws, I would be GREATLY appreciative and would offer cyber-sexual favors in exchange, if such a thing exists. Maybe I should stop talking now.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

You're right, the airbag mounting bolts aren't a T25 Torx, they are a T30 Torx and there is a special tool from MB that is a little longer than most Torx sockets. Every airbag in a Mercedes since 1986 has been held on with 2 T30 Torx bolts.

Originally posted by benzaddict
    You're right, the airbag mounting bolts aren't a T25 Torx, they are a T30 Torx and there is a special tool from MB that is a little longer than most Torx sockets. Every airbag in a Mercedes since 1986 has been held on with 2 T30 Torx bolts.
    I had a feeling they might have been T30, however I didn't have a T30 torx laying around. T25 worked just fine for me. However, I don't think is going to help our friend Sulaco because he thinks T25 is too big, let alone T30. I will change the website to say T30 instead.

Thanks

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the Torx 30. I don't know WHY in the hell that looked so small and strange to me using the mirror/flashlight combo, but I had it wrong. Got the cover off and following Boominbenz's instructions very closely and carefully at this stage. I've had sticky gauges and a mis-reading fuel gauge for more than a year now, and I pray this will alleviate all that.

Thanks tremendously, guys.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Originally posted by Sulaco
    Wow, thanks for the heads up on the Torx 30. I don't know WHY in the hell that looked so small and strange to me using the mirror/flashlight combo, but I had it wrong. Got the cover off and following Boominbenz's instructions very closely and carefully at this stage. I've had sticky gauges and a mis-reading fuel gauge for more than a year now, and I pray this will alleviate all that.

Thanks tremendously, guys.
    No problem. The Torx heads do always seem like they are too big for the screw, so I usually go one size up from what I think it looks like.

Good luck with the rest of it!

Martin

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Great Job!!

Originally posted by BoominBenz
    No problem. The Torx heads do always seem like they are too big for the screw, so I usually go one size up from what I think it looks like.

Good luck with the rest of it!

Martin
    Great job on your site. I just wanted to commend you on your
    effort to provide a how to on W202
    I was going to start something like that but, I dont know jacked squat..

thank you again, Its now on my favorites