Thread: Installation problems on an aftermarket HU

Installation problems on an aftermarket HU

OK.

After all of the research and reading, I am still having problem well I tried to install an Pioneer AVIC N-1 on my '99 c280.

I did a lot of prep work before hand so I have my WV wiring harness and the antenna adapter. Everything hooked up a like snap but when I turned on the head unit there is no sound. The HU is functioning OK. There is no sound from any sources, FM, AM, CD, DVD, Navigation. I hooked back up the Bekker HU and I can heard the sound. I tried to look at the Bose amp and tried to see if it got powered but there are bunch of wire there so I haven't messed with it yet. I needed to test the HU internal amp to see if it puts out any sound but I don't know how to test for it using a multimeter. I guess I need to buy a cheap speaker to test it out.

Does anybody knows if the bose amp has a remote turn on lead that I missed or it turns on by sensing the speakers lead? Thanks for the help and I'll post the picture once I figure out what's goin on here..

Have you tried to adjust the gain on the vw harness / line adapter box. It could be set to the lowest setting.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

I didn't use the line converter because supposedly, I don't need it. It's a 99 and the jwrite up that pnsij wrote stated that I don't need a converter. May be I'll put the converter in and see.

It seems like I do need the line converter so I just ordered it from audiogear. Hope it comes early next week so I finish the installation. Guess I was not as ready as I thought...

OG Moderator
    Yes you need to hook the remote turn on wire.

Originally posted by pnsji
    Yes you need to hook the remote turn on wire.
    The VW wire harness didn't have a remote turn on wire for the Bose amp. Are you sure the Bose amp needed the remote lead?

Yes, it does sound like the remote wire is not connected, and the Bose amp needs a remote wire. I'll post the color later when I get home.

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

I figured it out. Turned out pin number 5 on the wiring harness is the remote turn on for the bose amp. It's white and blue. Oh well, I got a ven4.5 coming, I guess I'll keep it or try to sell it. My AVIC N-1 is working great now. Still trying to figuring out all of the feature.

just for future refrence the remote wire in almost all cars is blue with white stripe...

Sean